Rifle Hunting Turkeys; Anyone here do it?

Turkeys are varmints! I was visiting and hunting during spring South Dakota Tom season. My buddy has 1200 acres of prime land on his ranch and totally fenced with quality T post and barb wire because he runs about 50 cows on the property. The neighbors might be some distance away, but they all have similar setups. One of the older friends down the road came over with a 1/2 case of beer to talk and when he found out that I was Tom hunting. He wanted me to come over and kill all those bastard birds that roost in the orchards around his house because they are so over populated and they just cover everything with crap🤣 I told him that their are game limits and toms only. Later that day it sounded like a war over at his house. The beer must have got Charley thinking and using high powered rifles was easy.
And people say the rednecks live in the south !

Here in Oklahoma, we can rifle hunt them in the Fall season only. Some of the Western birds can stay a long way from any viable ambush points, so a rifle comes in real handy. Spring time is shotty only.
The sport is calling them to you not ambushing them. Anyone can do that . Like riding up to the golf hole in a cart and dropping the ball in , not quite the same

"The sport is calling them to you not ambushing them. Anyone can do that . Like riding up to the golf hole in a cart and dropping the ball in , not quite the same"

If that is the case, then why shoot them. Just call them and then when they get close, jump up and say "Booooo". Saves money on ammo.

"The sport is calling them to you not ambushing them. Anyone can do that . Like riding up to the golf hole in a cart and dropping the ball in , not quite the same"

If that is the case, then why shoot them. Just call them and then when they get close, jump up and say "Booooo". Saves money on ammo.
Cause they taste better any chicken tender bolted together

you can drive a car but that doesn't make you a race car driver ok . I don't care how many turkeys you shoot with a rifle , just don't call yourself a turkey hunter (cause your not)

States where turkey hunting with a rifle is legal they don't really care anything about turkeys . Turkey hunting is a heritage in the south and it's a art form that most never come to understand. You are one of those cause I'm speaking to you in a foreign language now

States where turkey hunting with a rifle is legal they don't really care anything about turkeys . Turkey hunting is a heritage in the south and it's a art form that most never come to understand. You are one of those cause I'm speaking to you in a foreign language now
That's just crap. I lived my first 65 years in PA. PA allows turkey hunting with a rifle in the fall, not the spring. I quit hunting'em with a shotgun because of cost of turkey loads and pellet-picking. I hunted with a .223 with a reduced load and a 63-grain Sierra and it was all I ever wanted out to 100 yards. In the fall you have to go to them; not have them hunt you.

you can drive a car but that doesn't make you a race car driver ok . I don't care how many turkeys you shoot with a rifle , just don't call yourself a turkey hunter (cause your not)
That right there says a whole lot.
Maybe some day we can pay to go watch those pros perform also.
But wait, we do have Youtube dont we. lol
Meanwhile i guess its just best we all stay home, or at least out of the way.

"Yeah I hunt turkeys, I'm not a turkey hunter though because some guy online said so. Luckily he was condescending enough to let me know it's not my fault"

That's just crap. I lived my first 65 years in PA. PA allows turkey hunting with a rifle in the fall, not the spring. I quit hunting'em with a shotgun because of cost of turkey loads and pellet-picking. I hunted with a .223 with a reduced load and a 63-grain Sierra and it was all I ever wanted out to 100 yards. In the fall you have to go to them; not have them hunt you.
I was referring to spring turkey hunting

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.