Rifle Hunting Turkeys; Anyone here do it?

Here in Oklahoma, we can rifle hunt them in the Fall season only. Some of the Western birds can stay a long way from any viable ambush points, so a rifle comes in real handy. Spring time is shotty only.

Here in Wv you can hunt them with a rifle except youth days for spring gobbler . I've personally killed them with 17 Mach 2 , 17 hmr, 17 wsm, 22, 22 mag , 17 Remington , 204 ruger , 222 rem, 223, 243, 7mm08 , 30-30 , 30-06, killed multiple birds with shotguns compound bow and crossbows .
With all these I've only ever really messed up breast meat one time. And that was due to a poor shot made by me first shot was a complete miss easy chip shot too he jumped up on a log about 3 feet off ground facing away from me . I hurried and shot him in the middle of the back instead of up high at the base of neck. Still was able to have well over 2/3 of breast meat. It was also the only one I've shot with the 7mm08.
There's nothing like calling in a gobbler in the spring to within feet for sure. But I won't pass up a turkey dinner when the opportunity presents itself either. Kill em and grill em that's my motto on turkeys if season is in

Well of coarse dedicated turkey hunters will for the most part frown on hunting them with a rifle.
But as they age and develop health issues of their own, some at least have a mind change on it.
In the early 70s i bought a Tikka combination 12gauge, 222, over under design with a see thru scope mount with a low power scope. Thinking it would also serve for taking at least the dumber grouse. While i did manage to take a couple turkey and a few grouse with it, it really wasent very good at either in my opinion.
First off, the one you first go for could end up being missed, but here comes another and guess what, your gun isnt loaded. Coulda, Shoulda, Woulda. So now i just use a scope sighted 223 with a detachable magazine resting on the dashboard, and at 85 im still hunting and shooting turkey.
At least thats what i call it, others can call it what ever they like.

I'm totally against it. Not because of it being easy or not giving the bird a shooting chance, but because no one wears orange like they do deer hunting. People get shot every year across the country with shotguns Turkey hunting by someone not smart enough to know what they're shooting or what is on the other side of there target. Folks have decoys that look real and "cooning" or "fanning" toms is very popular today. Can you imagine having a rifle ball come flying into your set up from across a clear cut out from down the road from some fool? It's happened to me here in Fl and let me tell you it's scary. Thankfully I didn't get hit and thankfully neither did my son who was 5 at the time. Nothing the guy did was "illegal" but thankfully after that our hunting club made it against the rules to use a rifle in gobbler season. I know the same possibility exists with deer hunting but at least normally folks are wearing orange majority of the time. But rifles and turkey hunting should never mix. Public or private, don't matter. I know we all want an upper hand but sometimes we need to limit things. If you want a turkey so bad you need a rifle, the grocery stores will help you fill that tag without it. Besides with today's loads like TSS I can take a bird easily at 50 yds with a 20 gauge.

I'm totally against it. Not because of it being easy or not giving the bird a shooting chance, but because no one wears orange like they do deer hunting.

But rifles and turkey hunting should never mix. Public or private, don't matter. I know we all want an upper hand but sometimes we need to limit things. If you want a turkey so bad you need a rifle, the grocery stores will help you fill that tag without it. Besides with today's loads like TSS I can take a bird easily at 50 yds with a 20 gauge.

I will preface this by saying I personally have never shot a turkey and only occasionally hunt them due to the fall and spring seasons falling when we are Striper and Tuna fishing respectively.

Here in PA our fall season allows rifles and everyone is required to wear orange so that is a non issue. Additionally nobody says you have to shoot a turkey at 200 yards with a rifle, I personally would like to hunt them with my Winchester 1873 in .45 Colt which honestly is limited to about 50 yards.

I see the hardcore turkey guys like I do the hardcore archery guys, I commed the effort it takes to get close to your chosen game but don't act like choosing a weapon that physically limits your range makes you morally superior. One could argue that the guy who has a far more effective weapon yet still shoots game at short range is a better hunter as he chooses to wait rather forcing his equipment to choose for him.

The sport of turkey hunting is to call the Tom to within that 20-30 yds that you mentioned, shooting a Tom in the head at 300 yds with a rifle is a shooting challenge not a hunting one (yes I understand this is a long range shooting forum) most people don't shoot turkeys in the head at 300 yds .

I hear what you are saying, But to take a 300 yard shot "ON" (Not at) a turkey one should know he will hit the turkey or not take the shot. I have seen more turkeys missed and lost to shotguns because the hunters were not very good shots even with a shot gun and didn't know the limits of their distance and the quality of their shot pattern.

I love eating them and hunting them But i never take a shot that is marginal with Bow, shot gun or rifle. I'm just not mad at them and respect them to much to risk a poor shot with anything. I also only take head or neck shots with everything including a shot gun except with a bow because a body shot damages to much good meat. I have one shot that I will take with an accurate rifle to 4 and 500 yards. The turkey has to be looking straight at me and trying to spot me (Standing very still) and I aim at the gullet just above the breast and the bullet exits the back destroying the back but not harming the breast. Again conditions have to be perfect and I have to know I will be successful. I have made this shot on many turkeys out to 400+ yards but so far never to or past 500 yards. (Don't know that I ever will ether).

A person has to know his limits and stick with them. no matter what weapon he uses. I don't Judge other shooters methods as long as they are Legal and Successful :cool: :cool: .

Just My Opinion

J E CUSTOM

In the 1930s my father hunted them with 22LR in CA.

Saying it shouldnt be allowed is like saying motorcycles dont belong on the highway with cars. There are rules. Just because the Indians hunted them with arrows no reason to say thats the only way. There are separate seasons for bow and rifle so if the old diehards cant handle it, separate them from the rest of us. With 22LR, there are no wounded turkeys. its either a kill or a miss. I would chalange one of these old sports to try hitting a turkey with a rifle. The "sport" is in being good enough that you dont have to have a shotgun full of bullets to hit them!!!! Just one bullet.......

In the 1930s my father hunted them with 22LR in CA.

Saying it shouldnt be allowed is like saying motorcycles dont belong on the highway with cars. There are rules. Just because the Indians hunted them with arrows no reason to say thats the only way. There are separate seasons for bow and rifle so if the old diehards cant handle it, separate them from the rest of us. With 22LR, there are no wounded turkeys. its either a kill or a miss. I would chalange one of these old sports to try hitting a turkey with a rifle. The "sport" is in being good enough that you dont have to have a shotgun full of bullets to hit them!!!! Just one bullet.......
You guys do realize i was kidding right?