Rifle front support

Endless quandary and so dependent on rifle and terrain. With that proviso, I ll say what I do but others experience is different. On my 30-378, .375 Sniptac, .375+.338 AM I ve never been able to shoot as accurately from bench or prone with a bipod compared with a leather sliding forerest and rear sandbag however a friend holds some LR records and swears by his bipod. So, for my Gibbs .505, groups 3" at 300 yds I shoot off sticks. Hold the front end...I know some experts say no but for me I m more accurate and quicker on second. Rest your front arm on one stick.

Snipetac .375 and 30-378. I m usually hiking. Stuffed back pack with the sliding rest from Kuiu. Sometimes shoot sitting on a slope down into canyon. Rear bag if I have time and longer shots.

.338 AM and .375 AM. We ATV out to a glassing spot and I setup my custom setup. I have a F type rest attached to a accurate shooting rest. This has front and back adjustment and the two are connected. Always gently but firmly hold the front end. Shoot prone and accurate to 2200 yards. F rest by itself does not have the same accuracy and for me bipod is a lot worse.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.