Rifle for wife.

badhabit

My wife and I are looking into 300/600yd. open matches at a nearby range. Mainly for fun and good practice, nothing to serious. But I need to fit my wife up with a rifle. I have a remington 722 .257 ackley that I have laying around in need of a new barrel. Been kicking around the idea of using this action for her rifle. New barrel, stock, trigger, block the short magazine and just have her single load. But I cant decide on a caliber. She does not enjoy recoil and I have alot of .257 brass dies bullets. Should I just go back to this or sell the dies and chamber in ? Any of your wives, kids compete in this what do they use. Need to fix her up so I can get a new toy!:D

For 300 to 600 yards I would recommend the 6BR, very accurate and little recoil.
If you may stretch it to 1000 I would look at the 6 Dasher, 6 BRX, 6x47 Lapua, 6.5x47 Lapua, 6.5 Creedmoor or 6mm Creedmoor. I am going to try and get my son shooting the 6mm Creedmoor this year(6.5 Creedmoor necked down to 6mm).

James

Ya I have thought of the 6BR, 6.5x47. I need good case and barrel life. Also thought of the 260 rem. Any thoughts on this cartridge for this?

Shawn Carlock is over in Rathburn, Idaho. He builds some mean 260's. He competes with them in various kinds of matches and has done well. One lady shot a bull elk at an unbelievable distance with a 260 he built. The story is up in the hunting and shooting section.

With a brake and a good recoil pad a 260 should be very docile.

My daughter shoots a 308 in F class with no brake, but does use a gel shoulder pad because after 50-60 rounds it becomes very tiresome to absorb that recoil.

+1 on the 260 or 243. If I had to choose between these two, I would lean towards the .260 for it's versatility of applications.

If it is paper targets only, then the 6mm BR cannot be beat for accuracy, barrel life and low recoil.

Plus, it is going to be way more economical to shoot compared to the larger calibers.

The straight 6bR will also compete at 1000.

BH

im trying to sell a 6mm dasher for a deceased friends wife. built on a trued 700 action by mark king, a well known 1000 yd. gunsnmith at williamsport pa. complete outfit including dies, brass, etc. mark will varify very little use. will send complete specs if interested. send pm.

I shoot a 14.5 LB 260REM, recoil is mild and very accurate. I had a 6.5X47 built for my 10 year old daughter. It weighs 15 LB and has a brake, very low recoil. She shoots it in a match out to 700 and does well with it (2 back to back 6th place finishes out of a field of 18-20) that puts a smile on a Dads face!

When developing loads for the 6.5X47 I used 12 cases, they have 8 reloads on them and the primer pockets are still tight. It runs Lapua 123's at 2920fps.

Took the 260 out today to zero for coyote load. 120 gr B-Tip at 3010 fps, 3-8 mph full value wind, dialed in 1 MOA for wind and shot a 3-shot 1 inch group at 200 on the 2inch paster and called it a day. With this load i've won a sniper match with 700 yards being the farthest target.
This load would make a nice deer load for 600-700 yard shooting depending on elevation.

Just my .02

260 shooter which brands of brass have you tried in your 260. I was reading on another site necked up .243 lapua brass was the best, and the remington stuff was terrible. I am leaning more and more to the 260 with the possibility of shooting 1000yd events in the future.

"My wife and I are looking into 300/600yd. open matches at a nearby range."

Does that mean benchrest or F-class or NRA prone??? It could be any of them...

Actually for any of 'em I'd recommend the 6mmBR - or one of the mildly improved wildcats based on that case like the 6mm Dasher.

Uncanny accuracy, even at 1000 yards. Yes, the diminutive 6mmBR has actually done very, very well at 1000 yards. At 300 and 600 it's phenomenal. A lady competitor here in Washington used one in NRA prone, and then in F-class competition to win some matches. Another guy - a big burly guy - uses one of the wildcat versions - I think the Dasher - and has turned in some incredible scores in F-class competition.

Virtually no recoil. Nada in a decently built rifle. Long barrel life. Easy to load. Accurate as can be.

What's not to like? You can go to 6mmBR.com for more specific info. It's a wonderful cartridge for competition.

Regards, Guy

guy m.
hello guy, nice to see your input here also. the dasher i spoke of belonged to my friend jerry. you may recall he was killed last hunting season, when my jeep slid on ice and rolled down a mountain.
it is a very nice rifle, built by a top notch smith. 16 lb. class gun.

tragedy again this year, as my wife of 49 years, apperantly lost her balance while on a 2 step ladder, struck her head on the tile floor and died.
2 days before i arrived home from pa.
life changes drasticly in a short period of time.
chatting on these sites, is very helpful.
happy new year, ernie

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.