Rifle for the wife

I'm glad you edited your last post. You dominated the thread at nearly 50% with post # 39 of what you think you know. One thing I learn early on when I first joined is that there is always someone way smarter and have more real world experience than I do and almost always willing and able to help. Most of them are humble and modest. I continue to learn and look up to them.

Now back to regularly scheduled entertainment ...

I just gave an opinion, it became a mess, I'm 56 years old and have hunted successfully 35+ years,
I do know some things, I know there are more educated, in books, and in hunting, but knocking down people in a forum isn't something to be proud of
Even if you are smarter. I wasn't born yesterday, and should not be talked to as such. It doesn't make people want to stay, I'll tell you that.
That's my word. I am done.

A belated welcome to LRH and enjoy! As others noted, the .243 is an excellent choice. I understand your wife's desire for deer hunting despite her neck issues, but does she have any medical restrictions because of it. The reason I asked is because, a friend of a friend had a similar issue. The recoil felt on the shoulder is transmitted to his neck when using rifle but not when using an XP pistol, I do not remember the chambering though but IIRC, it was 7MM-08. Just something to think about and consider, don't want to further aggravate her condition any further and unnecessarily. Good luck!
Thanks

Hi everyone, I'm going to purchase a rifle for my wife she has some neck issues. She has recently feel in love with deer hunting. We live in Louisiana so I was thinking of a .243 but we are open to any advice, thanks!
If she's not going to have to pack it very far you couldn't do better for her than one of the Gen2 milspec Rem 700's in either 6.5cm or .260 Remington.

One of the the 700 LR models would be my second choice.

There's not a significant difference in size between the .243 and .260/6.5 bullets but they do deliver significantly more energy, carry better in the wind and will consistently give you cleaner kills.

IF you can find any of the Ruger M77 Hawkey FTR models around they are a bit lighter and also excellent shooters. They too came in .260 and 6.5CM.

Either would serve you both very well.

Oh, if you want to reduce the recoil even more for her put a good muzzle brake on it but I doubt you'll find it necessary. The Brake that comes on the Ruger is a typical factory brake and I'd replace it anyhow.

Hi everyone, I'm going to purchase a rifle for my wife she has some neck issues. She has recently feel in love with deer hunting. We live in Louisiana so I was thinking of a .243 but we are open to any advice, thanks!

If Louisiana hunting is anything like Georgia hunting, I would say a .300 Blackout could serve her well too. There is no recoil in that round, and a larger, heavier bullet for deer size game. If you want to keep recoil low, but with better ballistics, I would stick with the 6.5 grendal as already mentioned.

The .243 is nice too though, will just have a little more recoil than the two previous rounds, but you make up for it with significantly better ballistics.

If for my wife I'd go with a .243, 6.5 CM or 7mm-08. Personally don't have a .243 but do have 6.5 CM and about to purchase a 7mm-08 for myself. Can't go wrong with a Tikka, they're light and "pretty"!

I have 243 and would question the felt recoil shooting 95-100 grains with it potentially affecting the neck issues. It may not be an issue at all. I don't have enough experience with the other choices mentioned and would deferr to someone with more experience.

I have 243 and would question the felt recoil shooting 95-100 grains with it potentially affecting the neck issues. It may not be an issue at all. I don't have enough experience with the other choices mentioned and would deferr to someone with more experience.
Having pretty significant neck and shoulder issues I can say that neither the .243 or 6.5's from the .260 Rem on down are likely to be a problem even in a fairly light rifle.

There's just not enough recoil possible from the 140gr bullets or lighter to worry about.

Mario's heaviest kid weighs probably 75-85lbs and they just giggle shooting them.

Monkster,

I read this briefly, but skipped to the end after seeing how off track this thread was going. I rarely see behavior like this on this site and hope you don't think it's standard around here.
Anyway, I didn't see any mention of the range she intends to shoot.
If it's inside 400, the .243 is a very good choice. I got one for my daughter.
The .243 and other 6mm's are very capable of taking deer at longer ranges, but imo there are cartridges that are suited better for that, some of which have already been mentioned.
An idea of how far she'll be shooting, and how much you want the rifle to weigh, would be helpful.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.