Rifle for Older Guy with a Bad Neck....

My father is having some neck issues that he's currently working through with his doctors. C3 / 5&6 are being a real pain in the ---. Not unusual for a 69 year old guy. His pain at the moment would certainly prevent him from shooting heavy kick rifles. They're going the steroid shot route for now as they try to figure out a long term solution. As of right now the shooting pains from the nerves, etc. hit frequent enough that shooting wouldn't be much fun. So being that we are inherently stubborn creatures and don't want to miss a hunting season or practice we need to figure out what he'll shoot so long as he gets the ok from the Dr.

So, the question to the group is what would you choose in his situation to shoot for whitetail hunting this season. Elevated box blinds, 300 yards max distance in Virginia

He currently has the following options:
1) LMT .308 ar10 with suppressor - really heavy gun to tote around
2) 300 blackout ar with suppressor - lacks range for most blinds but is the perfect rifle for kick/weight
3) A Bolt 7WSM - could add a break to calm it down in consideration of the neck...it's not a bad kick now
4) Use his CZ 308 with reduced recoil loads
5) Seeing as how we love guns should he buy a 6.5cm or a 7-08 or the like and use the neck as an excuse to buy something new?
6) Put the 7wsm or 308 in a different stock with adjustable comb/lop so he can really dial in his head vs. a stock pad

Fire away.
308 is good option but if you are into buying a new gun go with a 243. Great gun, no recoil and with quality bullet will kill and whitetail. I'm 60 and have had one for 45 years. 25-06 great choice too. This is what I shoot in Texas and I've killed a LOT of white tails with it. No recoil, flat shooting and long range. Lots of ammo to choose from and cheap. If you reload or know someone that does you can really make a killing bullet.

IF the other LMT is a .556, you could swap barrel and bolt to a 6.5 Grendel or 6.8 SPC.
I too suffered from neck issues (C4,5, &6). I had to sleep with my left arm behind my head and couldn't even think about shouldering a rifle. It was to the point that I was questioning life in general. Dr, went in next to my collar bone to reach my cervical spine with two epidural steroid injections about three weeks apart. I can say that it has been life changing to the point that it's like I never had an issue. I hope his results are the same.

My father is having some neck issues that he's currently working through with his doctors. C3 / 5&6 are being a real pain in the ---. Not unusual for a 69 year old guy. His pain at the moment would certainly prevent him from shooting heavy kick rifles. They're going the steroid shot route for now as they try to figure out a long term solution. As of right now the shooting pains from the nerves, etc. hit frequent enough that shooting wouldn't be much fun. So being that we are inherently stubborn creatures and don't want to miss a hunting season or practice we need to figure out what he'll shoot so long as he gets the ok from the Dr.

So, the question to the group is what would you choose in his situation to shoot for whitetail hunting this season. Elevated box blinds, 300 yards max distance in Virginia

2) 300 blackout ar with suppressor - lacks range for most blinds but is the perfect rifle for kick/weight
3) A Bolt 7WSM - could add a break to calm it down in consideration of the neck...it's not a bad kick now
5) Seeing as how we love guns should he buy a 6.5cm or a 7-08 or the like and use the neck as an excuse to buy something new?
6) Put the 7wsm or 308 in a different stock with adjustable comb/lop so he can really dial in his head vs. a stock pad

Fire away.
I,m 62 years young and have the same injuries I had to fuss 5 & 6 vertebrate I live in pain everyday I shoot 7 mm rem mag with APA fat bastard brake shoots like my 6.5 creedmore.

I dont remember which ones they caged on me, but the discs directly above and below the surgery blew not long after the surgery. The one above is too close to my brain stem for reasonable surgery and encased in arthritis. Shots dont help in my case. I hope they do for your father. Any rifle that creates a shock at recoil, any jolt, will leave me in a bad way for several days of agony. The grendel in the AR 15 platform doesn't bother me at all. The 6.5 creedmoor with a good break in the 10 lb rifle I suggested above to the OP just pushes lightly with factory 130s and also let's me shoot comfortably with no residual conditions afterwards. Hand loads are coming soon for both. Its obvious none of us are alone in the struggle. Not sure how to feel about that, but at least the OPs dad is getting some solid advise .

Fire away.
I totally understand your dad's issues and desires.
If his doctor will allow him to continue shooting, I would back off the heavier calibers and look at something like a 270, 243 or a 6 or 6.5 creedmore. Any of those, or similar, calibers will work like champs out past 300yds. They will produce less recoil, especially with something below max velocity rounds.
I have some upper back issues from time to time and occasionally have to back off my 7mm Rem Mag to one of my 270s or 243s. If I think there might be a chance of shots past 400yds, I prefer the one of my 270s. I have cleanly taken whitetails out past 600yds with a 270. I won't push my 243 past 400yds on whitetails - don't want to chance loosing a wounded deer in the West Texas brush.
Hope the docs get your dad straightened out.
Our Prayers are with y'all.
Good Luck!!!!

I too have a bad neck and am only 2 yrs behind him. 6.5 cm has almost no kick and with a good muzzle break it has almost no noticeable recoil. Shot 200 rounds this weekend and my neck and shoulder are still waiting for the recoil. It will easily down a whitetail at that distance. Check out Bergara HMR. Adjustable check rise and LOP with spacers.

Yes I forget sometimes about the 6.5 Grendel rebarrel the 300 Black Out to a 6.5 Grendel and a brake it would be perfect for whitetail way past 300 yards. Bear Creek sells 6.5 Grendel uppers cheap. Get a SJC Titan Break and it will be like a 10/22 in recoil.
I would avoid BCA barrels... I have heard they are a literal crap-shoot for quality and accuracy. I do hear their customer service is good, but I'd rather spend a bit more, and not have to send back barrels over and over till I get a "good one". Shows quality of materials and craftsmanship, or lack-of, IMO.

Rainier Arms builds a hell of an accurate match and ultra match series barrel. They used to offer Shilen cut-rifled match-grade barrels in 6.5 Grendel. I don't see them on their website anymore, but you can probably give them a call and see if they can still get you one. They were around $450 back when they used to offer them. But knowing Shilen's quality, and being 5R cut-rifled, I'm sure it's one hell of an accurate barrel for that price. I have several Rainier Arms barrels in other chambering and they are VERY accurate...Even with cheap bulk ammo...And even more accurate with high-quality ammo and handloads.

I too have a bad neck and am only 2 yrs behind him. 6.5 cm has almost no kick and with a good muzzle break it has almost no noticeable recoil. Shot 200 rounds this weekend and my neck and shoulder are still waiting for the recoil. It will easily down a whitetail at that distance. Check out Bergara HMR. Adjustable check rise and LOP with spacers.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts