Rifle for Older Guy with a Bad Neck....

Yeah my AR10 was around 13lbs, moving weight is no fun when you're hurting. Since the CZ fits him the best then maybe if you could suppress it and try the 125gr Nosler BT would be the way to go. At 3000 fps and 1000ft elevation your drop would be 7.1 inches @ 300 yards with a 200 yard zero. roughly 1400 ft/lbs energy.

only thing that sucks is that being a Mannlicher (full stock) it can't be suppressed. Good looking rifle but can't thread it......

only thing that sucks is that being a Mannlicher (full stock) it can't be suppressed. Good looking rifle but can't thread it......
Oh I didn't think of that. I had a Sako Mannlicher and they are good looking rifles.

I had to build a reduced recoil rifle for my dad who is 74 w/neck problems. We ended up using an Areo Precision M5 set, a good stock & trigger, and putting in a BSF carbon fiber 24" 6.5cm barrel with a JP eliminator brake. This ended up being on the edge of what he can carry weight wise but works perfectly for recoil. If we had to do it all over again and it was mostly for hunting I would have done the same thing but in 6.5 grendel for weight savings and even less recoil. Personally I don't like autoloaders for hunting, my dad missed his first deer because he didn't "slam it home" when loading the first round and he struggles with the mag on the bottom even with a short 5 round mag. So make sure there is enough practice time in similar positions as the stands he will be hunting from & make sure he has the right bags for that.

I would shy away from reduced recoil ammo for any shots over 150 yards. I've ran into that problem when my kids were young.

My last thought would be that a hunting rifle is still best for normal hunting. They are lighter, they are easier to shoot from odd positions and angles and again with an effect brake (or a little less effective suppressor) offer super low recoil. 25-06 w/100g bullet is great for 300 or less (and works out to about 500) OR it might be easier to find hunting style rifle in 6.5 grendel that is threaded so you can use one of your suppressors or a brake. As "ugly" as the JP eliminator is, it is probably the most effective brake I've ever used and as a bonus it keep the muzzle down too. It is easy to see your impacts with lighter calibers.

Some reading material on brakes/suppressors https://precisionrifleblog.com/2015/12/12/rifle-suppressor/ & Brake performance field test https://precisionrifleblog.com/2015/08/21/muzzle-brake-summary-of-field-test-results/ from PRB. The best recoil reduction over all is Alamo Four Star and APA Fat bastard brakes followed by APA little bastard, then JP eliminator. NOTE: the top brake was 62-64% more effective at reducing recoil than the suppressor.

Recoil table for different calibers
Several calibers keep it at about 10 foot pounds of recoil. This higher velocity calibers work best in most muzzle brakes so a 25-06 at 11 foot pounds unbraked would be closer to

6.5 Grendel BSF barrel - could easy get away with an 18-20"

Good luck extending your shooting & hunting with your dad! Hope this helps.

I'm 54, but have 3 bad discs in my neck , on top of a wad of arthritis at the base of my skull. I built a 6.5 creedmoor with a break to allow me to continue shooting without regret. I juggled the idea of the 6 creed, but the 6.5 won out for bullet selection and the popularity means ammo is very easy to come by about any place you can pull trigger.
I rebarreled my rem 700 308 to accomplish my goal. The 308 would put me in traction after a sit down on the bench for a few shots. The 6.5 creed hasent cause any issue as of yet.
Another great option for a 300 yd deer rig would be a new upper for the 300 BO you already have in 6.5 grendel. I have one of those and it's an easy shooter on my neck as well. I built the creedmoor for 300+ yard deer medicine, but the little grendel is my woods rifle .
Hope this helps your dad. It's not any fun having neck issues.

My father is having some neck issues that he's currently working through with his doctors. C3 / 5&6 are being a real pain in the ---. Not unusual for a 69 year old guy. His pain at the moment would certainly prevent him from shooting heavy kick rifles. They're going the steroid shot route for now as they try to figure out a long term solution. As of right now the shooting pains from the nerves, etc. hit frequent enough that shooting wouldn't be much fun. So being that we are inherently stubborn creatures and don't want to miss a hunting season or practice we need to figure out what he'll shoot so long as he gets the ok from the Dr.

So, the question to the group is what would you choose in his situation to shoot for whitetail hunting this season. Elevated box blinds, 300 yards max distance in Virginia

He currently has the following options:
1) LMT .308 ar10 with suppressor - really heavy gun to tote around
2) 300 blackout ar with suppressor - lacks range for most blinds but is the perfect rifle for kick/weight
3) A Bolt 7WSM - could add a break to calm it down in consideration of the neck...it's not a bad kick now
4) Use his CZ 308 with reduced recoil loads
5) Seeing as how we love guns should he buy a 6.5cm or a 7-08 or the like and use the neck as an excuse to buy something new?
6) Put the 7wsm or 308 in a different stock with adjustable comb/lop so he can really dial in his head vs. a stock pad

Fire away.
My father is having some neck issues that he's currently working through with his doctors. C3 / 5&6 are being a real pain in the ---. Not unusual for a 69 year old guy. His pain at the moment would certainly prevent him from shooting heavy kick rifles. They're going the steroid shot route for now as they try to figure out a long term solution. As of right now the shooting pains from the nerves, etc. hit frequent enough that shooting wouldn't be much fun. So being that we are inherently stubborn creatures and don't want to miss a hunting season or practice we need to figure out what he'll shoot so long as he gets the ok from the Dr.

So, the question to the group is what would you choose in his situation to shoot for whitetail hunting this season. Elevated box blinds, 300 yards max distance in Virginia

2) 300 blackout ar with suppressor - lacks range for most blinds but is the perfect rifle for kick/weight
3) A Bolt 7WSM - could add a break to calm it down in consideration of the neck...it's not a bad kick now
5) Seeing as how we love guns should he buy a 6.5cm or a 7-08 or the like and use the neck as an excuse to buy something new?
6) Put the 7wsm or 308 in a different stock with adjustable comb/lop so he can really dial in his head vs. a stock pad

Fire away.
243 Plenty of killing power excellent range very little recoil just a great caliber.

I am fused at C-5 , C-6 with C-2 , C-3 disk bulged I also get the injections in my neck mid back and lower back as I'm fussed there also .Are there any limits as to bullet weight if not I use a 308 and nosler 125 BT factory loads up to 150 grn. don't recoil too badly in the 308 for my neck we all have different levels of pain we can tolerate and what works for me may not for your Dad . I put a good quality recoil pad on as well it does change the LOP but adjusted the scope to compensate for that . I find that any rifle that has a sharp recoil hurts and any that are loaded with a slower burning powder and have a pushing type of recoil do me a lot better , even my 30-06 loaded with 4350 in the 125-150 grn. bullets are good to go as with my 308 it makes a big difference what rounds you are running as to the felt recoil.

Fire away.
'I am 70 have cervical issue and have has spine surgery. I still hunt Colorado though it is much harder than it once was. I use a Model 70 in .264 Win Mag with a 26" barrel. If your Father is going to hunt a box blind with shots under 300 yards why not get a .257 Roberts? Nosler loads 110 gr Ballistic Tip and 110 gr AccuBond. Ig you roll your own Nosler makes a 100, 115 and my favorite 120 gr Partition. Federal Load 120 gr Partitions in its premium line. I have never used a .243 Winchester but it seems like everyone else in the whole world has and ammo is available virtually anywhere ammo is sold.

Fire away.

Fire away.
I am 68 and have had a detached retina , it is good now but was scary thinking I might lose an eye , my shooting eye. Right eye and shoot right handed.
I went from a 300 WSM to a 243 with 80 gr. Barnes bullet to reduce recoil.
I reload so it is a reduced load. Winchester XPR rifle, 243 cal., Barnes 80 gr. bullet. It will kill any deer anywhere, but I do limit it to 300yd. It works for me...good luck

Fire away.
Build him a Savage .308 28" heavy barrel suppressed, Choate Ultimate Sniper stock, mil-dot scope. He will love it because you built it and because 300 yards is an easy shot for the rifle and because of the weight and shooting platform you described the recoil will be minimized.

Many options. Not a 6.5 creed fan boy at all I definitely think the round has its limitations as a hunting rifle but I think it would be a good option in this situation. Lots of good factory rifles and ammo so take your pick, Will do the job fine at 300 yards, and it sounds like u already have a suppressor. Not sure if it's quick attach or direct thread but I would set the gun up to be shot with that suppressor and recoil would be very manageable. I have a 6.5 creed that I run with my yankee hill titanium .30 cal suppressor and my buddies petite 7 year old daughter has shot it without issue.

while i hope he feels better , could a higher cheek rest something more like a towels wrapped around or folded on a stock help ? not sure if how much relief that might provide maybe two that may or may not help him not to have to kink his neck.

I shoot a 300 win mag and am looking to go smaller to reduce recoil.
I have had 8 major back surgeries and can't walk far anymore.When I get an elk or deer I call friends to come help and they gladly come and help me get the animal out.
One warning!Watch out for muzzle brakes.I am deaf in my left ear due to muzzle brakes folks said I needed to have.If I wear a hearing aid I can hear slightly in left ear.
7mm08,257 Roberts,243 and even a 6.5x55 Swedish round will work wonders.
We get so caught up in the fastest loads around and forget about the old tried and true rounds I have listed.I have owned 1 of each and because everyone told me I needed faster rounds I traded or sold all and man o man I wish I had them all back.
Even the tried and true 300 savage was one of my best deer killers and had no bad recoil.
Now with neck problems also I am looking at rounds I let go many years ago.
A lot of great information on this sight.
Just my 2 cents
Old Rooster

I had the same question for my 72 year old father. his favorite gun was his Ruger 77 in 30-06. I found this gun did not fit him what-so-ever and sought out another 30-06 for him then customized the stock, sent it out for a muzzle brake, put on a squishy butt pad, and then brewed up 125 grain, 150 grain, and 165 grain game loads that made the rifle nearly recoil like a 22-250. once that was all done he shot it and asked what caliber it was. after a few minutes of assuring him it was a 30 caliber and it was a long action Remington 700.. he rolled the bolt and out popped the case.. he hunted with that for 10 years until he could no longer walk long distances to hunt. the rifle was sold off after dad died in 2008. His Ruger 77 was stolen before he died.
Later Suckers.. the shop is getting busy..

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts