Rifle for North Dakota.

kc

My Neice is heading out to North Dakota to help my sister open a new restarant, I warned her not to bring any anti-hunter into our family and stay away from them.
She is planing to hunt a lot and may be able to get an Elk tag, I have no idea how the Elk hunting is out there she was asking about a rifle for out there I told her about the 3 Kings
.270, .3006, and the 7MM Mag..but being a small frame young lady I told her the .270 is a
Calibre that she should be able to handle.
But as a Rifle she may carry a lot, I told her about the weight issue and I would get a 7MM 08
the balistics look prety good and I have been told the calibre will drop an Elk if she gets a tag
but she will be hunting Deer a lot.
Whats hunting like there?

when I first got stationed there back in 05 the guy showing me around told me "you can watch your dog run away for 2 days out here" its flat! if shes on the west side of the state its not as flat theres a lot of rolling hills. I think a 243 or a 260 would suit her just fine. even a 25-06 is pretty manageable. I lean to the 260 though.

Thank you, last year my Brother and I built a .260, but the barrel is real heavy from one inch to the end it weighs a good 10lbs+ , accurate as heck buy we don't see her carring this cannon.

Dont wory about elk it is a once in a life time tag so chances are if she gets a tag then worry. Deer numbers are way down talking about not ofering mule deer doe tags next year no extra doe tag in generall. I would be more worried about an anti hunter form your neck of the woods than out here. Overall need a few nice winters like we are having now to help out nd for deer. Lots of yotes pdogs and other stuff to shoot depending on what side of the state she is in. i would go 7mm-08 spitting some 162 amax if i was picking.

Any calibers listed are good ones. My wife shoots a 260. It is a handy little rifle. My cousins wife is a dainty little thing. She carries a shortend model 70 270 super grade.

The terrain is pretty wide open, unless you are in the turtle mountain area. A guy from my home town got a really nice bull elk 2 years ago up at Walhalla, ND. You can also apply for a once in a life time moose tag and sheep tag as well.

The deer population is way down right now. Just a few short years ago you could almost shoot as many does as you wanted to buy tags for. Lots of coyotes, we also have a mountain lion season, I think they take 6 per year. There is also a elk reduction program going on right now out in Theodore Roosevelt Nat. Park. that she should check into for next year.

Not many ant-hunters up here. Opening day of deer season is almost a state holiday. Jesse.

25-06, 280 Remington, or 7x57 can all be had in rifles that don't weight a ton and won't beat you to death. Each would also work well on deer, antelope, and elk for her. A Winchester Model 70 Featherweight or a Remington Mountain Rifle would sure fit the bill. Those Kimbers are pretty nice also! You could also check Montana Rifle Company in Kalispell as they sell their production rifle for not too bad of a price. Good bullets in any of these three and she'll be just fine.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts