Rifle for Cape Buffalo

Teddy Roosevelt used an 03 Springfield in 30Govt, 'full Patch' ammo to kill most everything in Africa on his outing. He really loved his 405 Winchester Lever Gun too. Larry Kelly of MagaPort Arms killed ALL of Africa's Big Five with his Magna Ported Ruger Super Blackhawk 44Magnum.
He think he killed them homemade lathe turned Bronze Bullets. l worked awhile for Jarrett Rifles
before he started making his own actions. His Dangerous Game rifles were built on Pre 64 Model
70 Winchester actions. Guns had his barrels with nonadjustable open sights along with TWO scopes on Talley QR mounts/rings. 90% were 458Win or 375H&H magnums. The MAGIC bullet
in his 458s seemed to be a Speer African Grand Slam. With a tungsten core they were shorter
than conventional lead Solids. More room for powder made them go faster. No need for a 458 Lott. Speer stopped making the tungsten core AGS bullets. l see them on Gunbroken now and then for as much as Ten Bucks apiece. lf l were to choose a rifle for Buff l think it would be a
Steyr in 9.3x64 or an M79. l hear they're great on Water Buffalo

Win 70; 458 Lott, 22" barrel; action feeding 100%; NECG sights; lop adjusted for you...

56-BF4392-C8-F6-48-F9-82-F3-62-A51-D0-CD26-E.jpg

I am going for Buff and Elephant in Sept of this year. I am taking two Winchester Model 70 Safari Expresses. 458 Lott and .375 Wby. 500 and 300 A-frames / solids. The Winchester Safari is my favorite off the shelf rifle.

I am going for Buff and Elephant in Sept of this year. I am taking two Winchester Model 70 Safari Expresses. 458 Lott and .375 Wby. 500 and 300 A-frames / solids. The Winchester Safari is my favorite off the shelf rifle.

Great choices!!

If I ever get back--i want to do buff, hippo, elephant with Carl Stumpe, and then spend a week with my family hunting plains game in South Africa....I agree great choices. I'm afraid Africa will take steps backwards due to this COVID crap--so will the States...glad I went when I did, I did 6 safaris over the last 15 years---loved every one...

If I ever get back--i want to do buff, hippo, elephant with Carl Stumpe, and then spend a week with my family hunting plains game in South Africa....I agree great choices. I'm afraid Africa will take steps backwards due to this COVID crap--so will the States...glad I went when I did, I did 6 safaris over the last 15 years---loved every one...
We actually got a great deal due to Covid.

Incredible Gentlemen!!! I can only enjoy your posts and dream. I sent my Remington 700 Safari Model Rifle, In 375 H and H to a gun smith . It was a new rifle in 1986 , still unfired in its original box when I bought it in 2015 . Then sent it to Jack Hamerick Customs in South Carolina ,for a change of Iron sights, and the additional of Express sights and a barrel band , for no good reason. Paid for all the work, and the gunsmith died and my rifle is lost forever . All I have left at home is the bottom metal , the bolt , and the original Remington Box. Enjoy your great 375s. If I see a big Cape Buffalo in my yard, in Lodi , N J, I ,ll call you guys.

Incredible Gentlemen!!! I can only enjoy your posts and dream. I sent my Remington 700 Safari Model Rifle, In 375 H and H to a gun smith . It was a new rifle in 1986 , still unfired in its original box when I bought it in 2015 . Then sent it to Jack Hamerick Customs in South Carolina ,for a change of Iron sights, and the additional of Express sights and a barrel band , for no good reason. Paid for all the work, and the gunsmith died and my rifle is lost forever . All I have left at home is the bottom metal , the bolt , and the original Remington Box. Enjoy your great 375s. If I see a big Cape Buffalo in my yard, in Lodi , N J, I ,ll call you guys.
Man, that sucks!
If you do see black death in your back yard- send me a text! LOL.

375HH in a CZ w/300 gr. Trophy Bonded Sledgehammers for solids and 300 gr. Swift A Frames for softs worked well for me. With handloads I was able to get both to same point of impact @ 200 yds. If your taking one rifle for Buffalo only then my preference would be a 450/400 NE in a good double rifle. The nice thing about the 375 HH is often when you are hunting in Africa the odds of running into Eland, Kudu, Sable or any of the plains game that might be on your list is high and the 375HH with a 1.5-5X or similar will give you accuracy and reach if you need it.
The majority of the PHs over there would rather see you show up with something like a 375 or 458 Lott that you shoot well vs a 475, 500 or bigger that you cant shoot due to recoil issues, flinching or not being able to get that second shot off due to barrel rise etc.. of the big bores.

Went to S Africa in May 2019. Took my Cape Buffalo at 100 meters off the sticks with my Marlin 45/70 with Garrett 540gr Hammerheads. The first shot into his shoulder put him on his knees. He regained his feet and started running. Second shot was through the lungs and he went down for good. What a rush.

My Africa gun is a CZ 550 with a synthetic stock in .375 H&H. Bought it new in 2015 and put a 10x NF scope on it. No custom work has been done on the gun. It has done a fine job on over 20 African animals, including Cape Buffalo. (But, the gun I used in the picture with the zebra is a plain jane Savage 30-06. The same 10x scope gets swapped between the two guns depending on the type of hunt I have planned.)

I like the .404 Jeff...pretty mild recoil, ballistics close to 375 but with 400 gr bullet. CZ and Heym both make commercial versions, or you can find/build a custom rig. NECG built mine on a Mauser 98 action.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts