Rifle for Africa Plains Game

Capt Academy
No I do not know him. The outfitter does ring a bel thou.
I am not a PH myself but have met and know a few of them. The group gets big when it gets to the non dangerous guys but the big 5 PH group is not to big. To quilify as a big 5 PH is a big chalenge and the guys that have done it earned it.

Jurgens, thanks for the detailed info, very helpful. Right on with what my friends are telling me. I'll probably go a bit over gunned with my 30-06 and possibly a .300 Win Mag. I use a 165 gr Accubond for the 30-06 and like the 200 gr for the .300 which I have used in a 300Wby. Lots of practice sessions between now and then. Haven't use shooting sticks much but have a set to practice shooting from.

I've spent more trigger time on the 30-06 than the other hunting guns on the rack. The 7x57 loads I worked up are with 140 gr Trophy Bonded Tip.

I do have a Precision Rifle Course in a couple of weeks which gives me a bit more practice. I've had the course booked for a while and it can't hurt.

I've no experience with the 9.3x62 but have a friend who just loves the round. Looks interesting, might be something to try in the future.

Jurgens, thanks for the detailed info, very helpful. Right on with what my friends are telling me. I'll probably go a bit over gunned with my 30-06 and possibly a .300 Win Mag. I use a 165 gr Accubond for the 30-06 and like the 200 gr for the .300 which I have used in a 300Wby. Lots of practice sessions between now and then. Haven't use shooting sticks much but have a set to practice shooting from.

I've spent more trigger time on the 30-06 than the other hunting guns on the rack. The 7x57 loads I worked up are with 140 gr Trophy Bonded Tip.

I do have a Precision Rifle Course in a couple of weeks which gives me a bit more practice. I've had the course booked for a while and it can't hurt.

I've no experience with the 9.3x62 but have a friend who just loves the round. Looks interesting, might be something to try in the future.
I would strongly encourage you to work up some loads with the Hornady Interbond or Interlock for your big game gun for this trip.

Those bullets will open dependably for you but they will really hold together well punching through the toughest of critters and they have very good ballistic coefficients for shooting out to 800yds on the big guys.

WildRose, I'll give them a try; 180gr SST BT Interlocks to start.
The SST is a different bullet. They are thin skinned and shell out pretty bad at close range even on light bodied game like White Tailed Deer.

I killed 5 WT's this year with the SST from the 300 WM and 7mm STW and to be honest there was far more meat damage than I consider acceptable on every one of them.

Now all died instantly and never even twitched since all were shot through both shoulders and the spine except one which was shot through the spine and one shoulder.

The Interlock and Interbond are much heavier jackets and hold together much better. The Interbond is a bonded bullet similar to the Accubond, and the Interlock is both a bonded bullet and has a cannelure which ensures the bullet can only open so far.

Bigsk
Wildrose has a point on the SST. I did a development with the 139gr with the 7mm RemMag and tested it on an Impala. The shot was under 100m, the Impala looked at me and I placed the shot centre chest for a hart und lung shot. The animal dropped on the spot but damage was huge but penetration was minimum. A lot of people in SA use the SST but more would prefer the Interlock or Interbond as it penetrates better.
I love the barnes TSX/TTSX bullets as they have never let me down and have always performed. That said most of my hunting is well under 200m and the few animals I have taken past 300m they also did there part.
As you have chance do come and hunt where most dream ( as I would love to go hunt some of your species in the USA) I would spend a little more and make sure the bullets perform 100%.
The 9,3X62 Mauser was designed in 1905 By Otto Block from Germany as a inexpensive caliber for all game. Up until WW2 the 9,3X62 was much more popular than the .375H&H in Africa as the rifles was cheaper. On paper and field experience the 9,3X62 with a 286gr bullets does the same as a .375H&H with a 300gr bullet. What I like about the 9,3X62 is that it kicks like a .30-06, uses a standard length action, burns less powder that the .375H&H and meat damage is minimum but you have the knock down power to take game up to buffalo with ease.
It sound like you are on the right track with caliber and bullet choice as it is what I will also feel comfortable using.
Ones here take some photo's of the hunt and share with us. The place of SA you are going is one of favorite placed. The people are amazing there and scenery is awesome.
We hunt Springbuck not to far from where you are going, so will be there in June in this year.

Jurgens/WildRose,

Thanks for all the information on calibers, bullets, etc. Based on your suggestions and talking with some reloading buddies, I picked up some Hornady Interbond bullets. 139gr - 7mm; 165gr and 180gr .308. Will work up some loads this week end.

Started looking at the paperwork for the trip. Temporary Firearms Import for SA. SAP 520, US Proof of Ownership CBP 4457 - Certificate of Registration from US Customs. The other paperwork I'm good with, letters of invitation, etc.

Looks like the trip may move into the first couple of weeks of July, work seems to be getting in the way. Business trip to Brazil in June, one of my hunting friends will be there as well, so we are still good to go.

Any suggestions on preparation, paperwork, etc. will be greatly appreciated. I will fly into Johannesburg Tambo, go through customs, then make a connecting flight south.

Still thinking about that 9.3x62; however, can't talk Charlie out of his.

Jurgens/WildRose,

Thanks for all the information on calibers, bullets, etc. Based on your suggestions and talking with some reloading buddies, I picked up some Hornady Interbond bullets. 139gr - 7mm; 165gr and 180gr .308. Will work up some loads this week end.

Started looking at the paperwork for the trip. Temporary Firearms Import for SA. SAP 520, US Proof of Ownership CBP 4457 - Certificate of Registration from US Customs. The other paperwork I'm good with, letters of invitation, etc.

Looks like the trip may move into the first couple of weeks of July, work seems to be getting in the way. Business trip to Brazil in June, one of my hunting friends will be there as well, so we are still good to go.

Any suggestions on preparation, paperwork, etc. will be greatly appreciated. I will fly into Johannesburg Tambo, go through customs, then make a connecting flight south.

Still thinking about that 9.3x62; however, can't talk Charlie out of his.
Hornady makes some factory 300wm 165 and 180gr loads in the Superformance line with the interbond bullet. I'd say buy a box and take that for a ride and see how you like it. You may have to do some tweaking with your own load to get it to settle in for Max accuracy, but you'll definitely love the performance of the bullet.

Grizzly Ammo offers one load with the 165 and one with the 180gr Swift SiroccoII that you can order through MidwayUsa.com and I'd say give one or both of them a ride as well.

I'm going to be making a trip to SA at some point over the next three years to work with a client of mine and some of his friends for a bit and when I go I'm thinking I'll definitely take the .264wm and either the 7mm STW or 300WM. I also have the .300 RUM but I really see no need to tote it along since I won't be shooting big buffalo or anything else on the "dangerous game" list.

Once you get your loads tuned to where you are happy I'd say contact the outfitter and find out exactly what is required for you to ship a few boxes of your custom loads a month or two ahead of your hunt to ensure it's waiting for you when you get there.

Like others, I have used mostly the Barnes TSX and TTSX in Africa with outstanding results, both in my 375 H&H and 416 Rem Mag! I also used the 375 Nosler AB on Lion and and the TTSX on Buff in 416. The bullet has fantastic penetration! A friend of mine was shooting the 180 TTSX's in his 300 with very good results, however, he has not shot African game.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.