Rifle for 10 year old.

I recently did one for my grandson , it turned out pretty good . I made it so it can be lengthened as he grows . it's a 260 . I'm using reduced loads with H4895 , that can also grow as he does . I'm using a very mild load , and he shoots it well . I did a write up at the link below . if you have any questions just ask .

Get a 250-3000. The Grandpappy of all the creed cals. I had one on a Ruger #1 international, and like a COMPLETE moron, I traded it off on something that I can't even remember. It was a joy to shoot and carry

I bought a ruger American compact 243 for my 9 year old daughter. She has been shooting reduced power loads using trail boss and a 55 grain nosler varmegedon at around 2300 fps. There is no recoil, but it still has a pretty loud pop. It's also surprisingly accurate shooting 3 shots around an inch at 100 yards.

She will continue shooting these until I feel like she is ready to hunt, then we'll move on to full power loads.

Last edited:
.223 and cut the stock down to get the right pull with a decent pad.
My daughter has been shooting a Cricket and 10/22 for a couple years and is ready to upgrade. She'll be legal to deer hunt in 2 years so I'd like to get her started on a rifle sooner rather than later.

Deer around here aren't hard to kill or very big. So I'm leaning towards .223, .22 Creed, .243 win or 6 Creed. With a removable brake.

My dilemma is the stock, I cannot figure out what would work for such a small child??? I read that the Weatherby Camilla is a good one but it still looks too big in pictures?

Thoughts???

My daughter has been shooting a Cricket and 10/22 for a couple years and is ready to upgrade. She'll be legal to deer hunt in 2 years so I'd like to get her started on a rifle sooner rather than later.

Deer around here aren't hard to kill or very big. So I'm leaning towards .223, .22 Creed, .243 win or 6 Creed. With a removable brake.

My dilemma is the stock, I cannot figure out what would work for such a small child??? I read that the Weatherby Camilla is a good one but it still looks too big in pictures?

Thoughts???
7mm08 load it light with H4895 and a120 gr. BT that's what I started my kids on but now I would use Winchester Staball …

My thoughts on the ar platform are as follows, if I am teaching my children to shoot and hunt with a rifle that will be a bolt gun most likely in their future, I will start with a bolt gun until they are totally comfortable and confident with it and at that point if they choose an ar type rifle good for them

This may have already been mentioned but long at the ruger youth American Hunter in 223. Load with Hammers and she will probably still be hunting with it at 20 y/o. I have a buddy, 35, took one for his 6 y/o daughter and decided to retire his 270 and hunt with the 223 himself. Plenty for central Georgia. Teach her to neck shoot, DRT. Still kill with heart/lung shot.

I have a Browning youth model .243 with a brake on it that one of my grandsons shoots, you can watch the bullet impact the target. I put a cutdown Remington 700 stock on another .243 that my other grandson and granddaughter shoots. They have taken a truckload of deer with these two rifles. Just my experience, but have had a lot of my friends that had their kids try .223 rifles and all have had bad experiences with them,lost, wounded deer.

I would suggest you consider buying a rifle in 223 or 243 then buy an aftermarket stock with adjustable LOP and adjustable comb, and drop that barrel action into it. ( Boyd's or Stockys ) As the child grows, you can easily adjust the stock to fit season after season. When the child is 15 or 16, put the barreled action back into its original factory stock. The Aftermarket adjustable stock will have served its purpose. At that point you can give it to a friend who has a young child who is learning to shoot, or sell it on e bay .

Another screaming little deer and antelope Cartridge with low recoil is a 6 BR or 6 Dasher, I have killed a lot of both with a 6 Dasher with Berger 105's, Berger 108gr Elite Hunter. It hammers them and if you build it with an 1;7 twist there are a great selection of monos such as Hammers and Badlands Bulldozer II. Its another one of those cartridges that once you shoot it you can't get enough, I have 4 of them and my daughter has 2.

Thoughts???
My 11 year old daughter loves her 270 Weatherby Mag and shoos it very well. She says it kicks like her BB gun.

Attachments

• C674DA25-5DAB-43FC-B4C2-DC2FF2FC6D80.png
    C674DA25-5DAB-43FC-B4C2-DC2FF2FC6D80.png
    485 KB · Views: 54