Rifle for 10 year old.

It depends on the kid to some degree. Started both mine at 7 with a .223 in an AR platform with a collapsible stock. Hand loaded 68 grains Barnes work nicely on our smallish Oklahoma whitetail. My daughter, who is now 11, is very noise and recoil sensitive so she still sticks with the 5.56. My son who is now 9, now prefers my AR10 chambered in 308 win pushing a 168 Berger. The action itself eats up enough recoil that it is very manageable for him, even at a measly 65 pounds. The collapsible stock grows with them and can be changed back for an adult in a matter of seconds.

Attachments

• 6C70F0E8-98E6-4AD5-B535-C7A1582C402C.jpeg
    6C70F0E8-98E6-4AD5-B535-C7A1582C402C.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 47
I would recommend a cva scout v2 in the caliber of your choice, the 16" .300 blackout is a great option. I have a takedown and it has very little recoil. My daughters will learn to shoot centerfire on that platform, and it makes an excellent suppressor host for me in the mean time.

They make these in several calibers and they shoot very well, and are a much shorter option than a bolt action.

My daughter has been shooting a Cricket and 10/22 for a couple years and is ready to upgrade. She'll be legal to deer hunt in 2 years so I'd like to get her started on a rifle sooner rather than later.

Deer around here aren't hard to kill or very big. So I'm leaning towards .223, .22 Creed, .243 win or 6 Creed. With a removable brake.

My dilemma is the stock, I cannot figure out what would work for such a small child??? I read that the Weatherby Camilla is a good one but it still looks too big in pictures?

Thoughts???
What about 300 blackout in a AR style. small, low recoil And you can get subsonic or supersonic rounds.

Go with something in a AR platform, because it's "cool" but mostly because it can be made to actually fit them( kids). My daughters 4-6, can easily get behind my AR's and put serious hurt on a 4" plate at 100 yards. If the AR isn't your cup of tea, then go with one of the many actions that the chassis company inlet for. I LOVE my XLR's they inlet for a huge variety of guns. Put an adjustable stock on and she's set for life. Especially if you spring for a tikka or savage. When she's ready for the next bigger cartridge, slap a new barrel on (maybe a bolt change) and you're ready to rock again!! Just my $0.02 good luck

My daughter has been shooting a Cricket and 10/22 for a couple years and is ready to upgrade. She'll be legal to deer hunt in 2 years so I'd like to get her started on a rifle sooner rather than later.

Deer around here aren't hard to kill or very big. So I'm leaning towards .223, .22 Creed, .243 win or 6 Creed. With a removable brake.

My dilemma is the stock, I cannot figure out what would work for such a small child??? I read that the Weatherby Camilla is a good one but it still looks too big in pictures?

Thoughts???

Thoughts???
I used howa axiom 22-250 loaded with 60 grain partitions for deer. With my kids.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211024-131235_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20211024-131235_Samsung Internet.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 28
My son is quite a bit younger and smaller and we have fought recoil and length of pull with him quite a bit.

I built him a 6.5 CM with an AR Stock and it was too long and way too much recoil at about 13lbs.

I finally settled on 2 other solutions. A Howa 6.5 Grendel in a chassis. Removed the AR butt stock and installed a AR pistol butt stock. 7 lbs of recoil.

I also bought a Remington 700 CP and changed it into a SBR, rebarrled it to a 6CM. 7 lbs of recoil.

I run a suppressor on anything he shoot's. I have severe tinnitus from the Army and I will not subject them to the noise

Attachments

• CB949D6E-EFE6-4158-8682-E3CF41F3B157.jpeg
    CB949D6E-EFE6-4158-8682-E3CF41F3B157.jpeg
    515.2 KB · Views: 43
  • 074EDDC3-5FA8-46AD-AE30-209B13339E9E.jpeg
    074EDDC3-5FA8-46AD-AE30-209B13339E9E.jpeg
    493.9 KB · Views: 56
Just got done shooting today with a 6 yr old his dad took all the spacers out of his bergara hmr, it fit him like a glove. We put it in a bog death grip and had him ring steel out to 600 about 500 further than he will be shooting😁

Weatherby Vanguard youth model in .243. Comes with a stock extender you put on when they grow a bit.

I got my 11 yr daughter a 7mm-08 Browning Micro and used 36 grains of H4895 under 120 grain Ballistic Tips. Worked flawlessly and she shot that mild load for her first 3 bucks and hogs. No recoil. Killed game very well out to 200 yds. Before that she used my 22-250 for bench practice and shooting jackrabbits. Really helped her get used to finding game in the scope and hitting small targets. The muzzle blast and practice with a varmint round are excellent training for youngsters.

I was thinking just for the bench in the beginning with ear protection. Then take it off once she's used to it and for hunting.

Get a suppressor and it helps with recoil and sound suppression. Then you can use it for the bench and hunting. As far as what chambering, from the ones you listed, I'd probably go with the 6 creed, due to availability and longevity of brass, and it's a cartridge she will never grow out of for deer hunting.

Get a suppressor and it helps with recoil and sound suppression. Then you can use it for the bench and hunting. As far as what chambering, from the ones you listed, I'd probably go with the 6 creed, due to availability and longevity of brass, and it's a cartridge she will never grow out of for deer hunting.
He says he can't have suppressors. I assume his state doesn't allow them for hunting and maybe not at all.

Recent Posts