Rifle for 10 year old.

I recommend a T/C Contender carbine. 16 inch barrel in a caliber like 300 BLK. They are very accurate, light to carry, and a suppressor can make them very quiet. They can grow with the child and many caliber barrels are available.

.223, .22-250, .243, 6CM, 6.5CM, 6.5G, .300BO all good options. I would run a brake and hearing protection. Get an easily adjustable stock, slick action, nice trigger. Should be good to go. A Rem 700 LTR with a smaller stock would probably be a sweet starter gun and "relatively" cheap.

My daughter has been shooting a Cricket and 10/22 for a couple years and is ready to upgrade. She'll be legal to deer hunt in 2 years so I'd like to get her started on a rifle sooner rather than later.

Deer around here aren't hard to kill or very big. So I'm leaning towards .223, .22 Creed, .243 win or 6 Creed. With a removable brake.

My dilemma is the stock, I cannot figure out what would work for such a small child??? I read that the Weatherby Camilla is a good one but it still looks too big in pictures?

Thoughts???
Maybe a Remington model 7 in 243 or any short action caliber. Smaller quality gun. Will last 100 years and can be handed to next generation.
Will keep on giving. No plastic or Tupperware stock or trigger gaurd.
Will only be more valuable tomorrow!

I bought a Rem model 7 Youth compact rifle in 243 many years ago. Just the right fit for my small grandchildren. The barrel was crap and wouldn't group, so I had a Benchmark fluted #4 profile barrel spun on. It shoots well under MOA with both Horday 70 gr. and Berger 105 gr. bullets. As they grew, I took off the original compact stock (with bedded action) and put on a longer, slightly heavier B & C stock. I also had the rifle cerakoted. My kids & grandkids have all transitioned into adult stocks/rifles, so it just sits in the safe. I had it for sale on LRH some time ago, but lowball offers was all I got- so I kept it. Here is the old link if you are interested:

I have given two of my Grandsons G2 Contenders.I cut the stocks to fit them.Did Bellm trigger jobs to 2.5 pounds.One is a 30/30 the other a 6.8.each one has a 22LR practice barrel.It is easy to load these rounds down to virtually no recoil.I think a single shot is about the safest rifle a kid can have.One is 6 and the other 8.They enjoy shooting these rifles and for around Wisconsin are perfect as shots are generally less than 100 yards and mostly around 50.JMHO,Huntz

My daughter has been shooting a Cricket and 10/22 for a couple years and is ready to upgrade. She'll be legal to deer hunt in 2 years so I'd like to get her started on a rifle sooner rather than later.

Deer around here aren't hard to kill or very big. So I'm leaning towards .223, .22 Creed, .243 win or 6 Creed. With a removable brake.

My dilemma is the stock, I cannot figure out what would work for such a small child??? I read that the Weatherby Camilla is a good one but it still looks too big in pictures?

Thoughts???
In 2 years, the WBTY Camilla would be perfect for her. I ran into a lovely couple hunting together, and the wife (petite late fifties/early sixties) was hunting with a WBTY Camilla in 7MM-08, no muzzle brake, and topped with a Zeiss scope (not sure of model for magnification). It was a very nice set-up. I started both my sons with 6.5x55 carbine at ten years old.

I am in no way advocating the use of muzzle devices. A muzzle brake is NOT for everybody, but it can be an excellent option/device to have when used/introduced accordingly. A well-designed muzzle brake has two purposes, reduction in felt recoil and reduction in muzzle rise. The latter is often overlooked. There are plenty of excellent choices out in the market and can get had as low as $50 depending on style and manufacturer. I am not recoil sensitive, but I have been using muzzle brakes since 2003 and never looked back. Almost all my hunting rifles from .223/5.56 and up now sport a muzzle device.

You might have to call them but Boyd'a At-one is an an adjustable stock >>> https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/product-configurator

Good luck!

Last edited:
An older Remington 700 youth if you could find one would be good (.243). Otherwise, a rough Rem 700 with a wood stock you would not mind taking a saw to would not be a bad starter either - may find one of these in .222, .223 or .243. Could add spacers at a later time increase LOP.
243 would be best my 12 year old that's she uses

Thoughts???
We have started many young hunters with a 7mm-08 using a light bullet and reduced recoil loads and just stepped up the load as they got comfortable with it. As you stated she still has a couple years so you still have time so its not a big rush and she will surely grow in this time frame if you could find a youth model 223 for her to start with for now it might be easier on her and if she likes it you could always load up some 64 hammer hunters they are wicked on deer then step her up to a larger caliber later on Savage makes a Axis youth model 223 if you could find one, they are pretty cheap

Last edited:
I bought one of my daughters a 7-08 and the other one a 6.5 swede in a tikka. They both enjoyed shooting the swede. Both have hunted moose and black bear with the 6.5 swede. It has very little recoil, I bought a custom stock with spacers from Boyd's. Once they were older I let them pick out there own stock from Boyd's

I'm a big fan of intermediate cartridges for new center fire shooters. I have used 7.62x39 and 300 blackout, they hit really hard under 200 yards and have almost no recoil.

.223 is not enough for tough whitetails especially bigger bucks.
I'd go with .243 and 80 to 100 gr.
bullets. I have an old Mossberg .243 that I've killed over 80 deer with. The one time when I was younger and took a .223 hunting, it turned into a tracking job.

Didnt get back to camp until after 11 pm that night. I was so tired I skipped eating and went straight to bed.
.223 is more than enough under 200 yards IF you choose the right bullet.

If you're willing to build custom and can wait a bit, give Brent Jacob at Western Precision in Safford, AZ a call. He makes his own carbon fiber youth stock and wraps his own carbon barrels. I had him build my 11y/o daughter a 6mm Creedmoor that shoots lights out. I was so impressed with this little rifle I may find myself using it when she's not around ;)
I set this one up to shoot a suppressor but just as easy to add a break if you want to start that way. His lead time to build rifles is shorter than other custom builds I've done due to him making his own components. I am not a big fan of rifles built on a chassis and like how compact and light this rifle is for a youth to handle. Here's another option to consider anyway...

Attachments

• 6CM.jpg
    6CM.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 54

Recent Posts