Rifle for 10 year old.

adam32+P

My daughter has been shooting a Cricket and 10/22 for a couple years and is ready to upgrade. She'll be legal to deer hunt in 2 years so I'd like to get her started on a rifle sooner rather than later.

Deer around here aren't hard to kill or very big. So I'm leaning towards .223, .22 Creed, .243 win or 6 Creed. With a removable brake.

My dilemma is the stock, I cannot figure out what would work for such a small child??? I read that the Weatherby Camilla is a good one but it still looks too big in pictures?

Thoughts???

I recently did one for my grandson , it turned out pretty good . I made it so it can be lengthened as he grows . it's a 260 . I'm using reduced loads with H4895 , that can also grow as he does . I'm using a very mild load , and he shoots it well . I did a write up at the link below . if you have any questions just ask .

I have 3 kids, 8, 12 & 16, I debated back and forth, build a 6.5 Creedmoor or 7mm-08 AR or buy a bolt rifle. Then a 6mm Creedmoor Ruger Predator popped up for $450 shipped. I picked it up, found a Magpul Hunter stock, ordered the different cheek risers and mounted a Burris Fullfield II E1 4.5 - 14 x 42mm and surprisingly it fit all three and takes but a few minutes to swap out the spacers.

I agree with the brake suggestions, not needed. The 6mm Creedmoor has plenty of available loaded ammunition online and there are a variety of weights and bullet designs to boot.

Bonus, it fits me too.

My daughter has been shooting a Cricket and 10/22 for a couple years and is ready to upgrade. She'll be legal to deer hunt in 2 years so I'd like to get her started on a rifle sooner rather than later.

Deer around here aren't hard to kill or very big. So I'm leaning towards .223, .22 Creed, .243 win or 6 Creed. With a removable brake.

My dilemma is the stock, I cannot figure out what would work for such a small child??? I read that the Weatherby Camilla is a good one but it still looks too big in pictures?

Thoughts???
Not knowing her size, ability, or recoil tolerance I'd try to use a 223 bolt action as her trainer. And if possible upgrade to a larger bore as soon as she is comfortable. Another option it to get a 22-250 or 22 CM and use reduced recoil loads to start.. This is all depends on the range you're hunting.

Thoughts???
Here are my thoughs, contrary to common wisdom have a good 15 to 20 ounce trigger.

I have an old H&R 20 gauge. The heavy barrel version. Not knowing your ranges, this one very accurate and easy on the shoulder. Not too loud. Not a long ranger, but 200 yards all day.

Would recommend a little weight to it to assist that shootability/recoil. My son has a Mexican Mauser in 243 that I ordered a cheap Boyds and cut it down for him until the original fit him.

Each of my kids has a Ruger m77 compact. 1 in 7-08 and 1 in 308. I run reduced loads in each rifle with sierra pro hunters. Both guns are sub moa easily and carry enough energy to kill a deer at 200 yards. Further than they are allowed to shoot.