Rifle decisions

JMack

two months out from Dall sheep backpack hunt.....need to make a final decision on rifle.

Rifle 1 - 6-3/4# Tikka .300 win mag Swarovski z5 3-18 BRH 24" barrel no brake

Rifle 2 - 8.0# fierce 300rum leupy vx6hd 3-18 fire dot 26"barrel braked

Both shoot exceptionally well although the tikka is a little harder to shoot 500yards due to weight and the stock on fierce is definitely more comfortable.

What would you take?

Take the one you shoot best with, particularly from an improvised position.
Where will you be hunting? Have a great trip.
Flying out of Tok. Will have a grizz and caribou tag as well. I probably feel more comfortable with the fierce shooting 4-500 yards, seems like a chip shot. Not that I can't do it with Tikka it's just much easier to settle in with fierce.

I'm probably over thinking it. The weight really doesn't concern me too much I've been training pretty hard, but I'm sure I'll be whooped after 12 days.

Hopefully with three tags they bring a couple of packers along. I haven't been up there in a while, great country. Looking forward to your reports.
Interesting, my dad is in his late 80s, has dementia. Saw him two weeks ago, told him I was heading up to start fishing, he said he wanted to go to Tok again, go sheep hunting. Doesn't remember breakfast but remembered sheep hunts from the early 60s.

Hopefully with three tags they bring a couple of packers along. I haven't been up there in a while, great country. Looking forward to your reports.
Interesting, my dad is in his late 80s, has dementia. Saw him two weeks ago, told him I was heading up to start fishing, he said he wanted to go to Tok again, go sheep hunting. Doesn't remember breakfast but remembered sheep hunts from the early 60s.
A few Grandparents had dementia, same deal they couldn't remember if they even ate breakfast but would tell stories of distant relatives that were amazingly accurate. At least he remembers the hunts. Never been to the Tok area, looking forward to it very much.

We did a lot down around Tok, hunting and fishing. Heck when I was a kid you couldn't drive from Anchorage to Fairbanks, you put your car on the train for the trip. Alaska was pretty wild then, great place to be a kid. Good luck

The one that shoots the best. I've tried ultralight rigs. Nice to carry but a bit harder to keep stable. I believe that the 1.5lb different won't be noticed after a few miles.

two months out from Dall sheep backpack hunt.....need to make a final decision on rifle.

Both shoot exceptionally well although the tikka is a little harder to shoot 500yards due to weight and the stock on fierce is definitely more comfortable.

What would you take?
Go with comfort is my opinion!

Flying out of Tok. Will have a grizz and caribou tag as well. I probably feel more comfortable with the fierce shooting 4-500 yards, seems like a chip shot. Not that I can't do it with Tikka it's just much easier to settle in with fierce.

I'm probably over thinking it. The weight really doesn't concern me too much I've been training pretty hard, but I'm sure I'll be whooped after 12 days.
That is what slings are for. Carry the heavy artillery.

I'm leaning hard towards the rum. It just flat out shoots and hits the steel hard. Especially with the hammer hunter 181s

Two months out from Dall sheep backpack hunt...need to make a final decision on rifle.
Both shoot exceptionally well although the Tikka is a little harder to shoot 500yards due to weight and the stock on the Fierce is definitely more comfortable. What would you take?
It sounds like you've settled on Rifle 2 pretty quickly, which is great. I'm sure it'll be fine.
But you asked "What would you take?" and I like LIGHT hunting rifles WITHOUT muzzle-brakes, so that means Rifle #1 would be going with me after sheep. (As if THAT will ever happen. I'm envious!)

Seriously, you must take the one you have the most CONFIDENCE in. That's what really matters. Faith. Trust. Belief. When the moment of truth comes, you need the rifle you KNOW will make the shot. Sounds like Rifle #2 is 'that gun' for you.

Can't wait for you to get back and tell us how it went.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.