Rifle decisions

Discussion in 'Sheep Hunting' started by JMack, Jun 10, 2019.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. JMack

JMack Well-Known Member

two months out from Dall sheep backpack hunt.....need to make a final decision on rifle.

Rifle 1 - 6-3/4# Tikka .300 win mag Swarovski z5 3-18 BRH 24” barrel no brake

Rifle 2 - 8.0# fierce 300rum leupy vx6hd 3-18 fire dot 26”barrel braked

Both shoot exceptionally well although the tikka is a little harder to shoot 500yards due to weight and the stock on fierce is definitely more comfortable.

What would you take?

2. Salmonchaser

Salmonchaser Well-Known Member

Take the one you shoot best with, particularly from an improvised position.
    Where will you be hunting? Have a great trip.

3. JMack

JMack Well-Known Member

Flying out of Tok. Will have a grizz and caribou tag as well. I probably feel more comfortable with the fierce shooting 4-500 yards, seems like a chip shot. Not that I can’t do it with Tikka it’s just much easier to settle in with fierce.

I’m probably over thinking it. The weight really doesn’t concern me too much I’ve been training pretty hard, but I’m sure I’ll be whooped after 12 days.

4. Salmonchaser

Hopefully with three tags they bring a couple of packers along. I haven’t been up there in a while, great country. Looking forward to your reports.
    Interesting, my dad is in his late 80s, has dementia. Saw him two weeks ago, told him I was heading up to start fishing, he said he wanted to go to Tok again, go sheep hunting. Doesn’t remember breakfast but remembered sheep hunts from the early 60s.

Hatrick and SMK1000plus like this.
  5. JMack

JMack Well-Known Member

A few Grandparents had dementia, same deal they couldn’t remember if they even ate breakfast but would tell stories of distant relatives that were amazingly accurate. At least he remembers the hunts. Never been to the Tok area, looking forward to it very much.

6. Salmonchaser

We did a lot down around Tok, hunting and fishing. Heck when I was a kid you couldn’t drive from Anchorage to Fairbanks, you put your car on the train for the trip. Alaska was pretty wild then, great place to be a kid. Good luck

JMack likes this.
  7. david laroche

david laroche Member

The one that shoots the best. I've tried ultralight rigs. Nice to carry but a bit harder to keep stable. I believe that the 1.5lb different won't be noticed after a few miles.

JMack likes this.
  8. skipglo

skipglo Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

Go with comfort is my opinion!

JMack likes this.
  9. gator378

gator378 Well-Known Member

That is what slings are for. Carry the heavy artillery.

skipglo and JMack like this.
  10. JMack

JMack Well-Known Member

I’m leaning hard towards the rum. It just flat out shoots and hits the steel hard. Especially with the hammer hunter 181s

SMK1000plus likes this.
  11. Michael Cantor

Michael Cantor Well-Known Member

Seems you knew which one to take all along!

SMK1000plus, therifleman556 and JMack like this.
  12. Frog4aday

Frog4aday Well-Known Member

It sounds like you've settled on Rifle 2 pretty quickly, which is great. I'm sure it'll be fine.
    But you asked "What would you take?" and I like LIGHT hunting rifles WITHOUT muzzle-brakes, so that means Rifle #1 would be going with me after sheep. (As if THAT will ever happen. I'm envious!)

Seriously, you must take the one you have the most CONFIDENCE in. That's what really matters. Faith. Trust. Belief. When the moment of truth comes, you need the rifle you KNOW will make the shot. Sounds like Rifle #2 is 'that gun' for you.

Can't wait for you to get back and tell us how it went.

JMack and SMK1000plus like this.
  13. CUTTER1

CUTTER1 Well-Known Member

My experience would recommend #2. Not a firedot fan but still my choice

JMack likes this.
  14. JMack

JMack Well-Known Member

Still on the fence with fireDot but I do like the vx6hd in general.