Rifle Cleaning Question

dimecovers3

I have always run a brush through any barrel from the breech end to the muzzle and then when it went out the end. I never pulled it back, but instead removed the brush and then pulled the rod back and started over. I was told to never push it out and pull it back. Is this for real? I am really getting tired of this if it's bunk. How do you guys clean a dirty bore. I use a one piece rod and bore guide, etc---it's the technique I want to know.

Try using a "Bore Snake" - here is a description from "Chuck Hawks":

An accessory I use to clean my rifle and shotgun barrels is the "Bore Snake." This is a Hoppe's product that pretty much replaces the tiresome chore of running patch after patch through the bore. It is a synthetic cord several feet long and slightly larger than the bore size for which it is intended. At the front of the Bore Snake is the first floss area, designed to remove foreign particles prior to the scrubbing action of the brush. A bore brush is embedded in the next couple of inches of the cord to loosen hard deposits. The rest of the Bore Snake is the main floss, with 160 times more surface area than an ordinary patch. A length of small diameter cord, considerably smaller than the bore size, is attached to the leading end of the Bore Snake; it has a skinny brass weight at its tip.

When I use a Bore Snake I generally saturate the first floss area with Hoppe's #9 bore solvent. Then I drop the Bore Snake's brass weight into the breech of the gun and let it carry the small diameter cord through the barrel and out the muzzle. Next I grab the cord and slowly pull the body of the Bore Snake completely thorough the barrel. Just to make sure, I pull the Bore Snake through the barrel a second time (without adding more Hoppe's). That's it, the barrel is cleaned. Bore Snakes are made for all common rifle, pistol, and shotgun calibers

http://www.chuckhawks.com/gun_cleaning.htm

Afterward I always take a brush that was designed for my caliber of gun and wrap a clean patch around the brush and run it through till it comes clean.

I shoot between 20 and 60 rounds between cleanings. A couple of patches of Shooters Choice, 5 passes with a SC applied brush, both ways, stop and apply more SC to the brush at the muzzle end, 5 more, apply more, scrub more based on "feel" If brush don't feel right, I scrub until it does. Patch out. If 50 or more through it, tight patch with JB short stroking the first 3 to 4 inches of the throat then on down through maybe 2 full length passes. Patch out with SC wetted patch, followed by dry. Tight dry patch pushed to end of barrel and then slowly pulled back through breech. If it gets tight or rumbles at throat, it gets more JB. If 100 through it since last copper check, Short stroke jag soaked with Sweets, jag hanging out of bore, load up clean patch with Sweets, pull it back through breech. Wait a couple of minutes. Clean patch ran through from breech. Repeat until no blue. Then dry patch out. Kroil patch through the bore, followed by a dry patch. Gun scrubber on 2x2 patch wrapped around brush, clean and dry chamber. Recoil lug area with dental roll thing, grease bolt, done.

Current highest round count is on a 7wsm with about 1250 through it. Shoots mostly 3s and 4s, occasional surprises either side of that. My bigger boomers usually 4s and 5s. I've lost barrels letting carbon get away from me. Ain't doing that again.
Interested in what other folks do too. If screwing off the brush every pass would guarantee shaving .1 at 100, I guess I would do it.

I quit using brushes about 2 years ago. 3 patches of Wipe Out primer. Fill bore with WipeOut Foam. Soak overnight. 2-3 patches to push out the foam. Done. I clean after every outing whether I fire 1 shot or 100. My good barrels only require one soaking. Really bad ones or old neglected guns will have to be repeated until the foam comes out clean.

Wipe Out Rocks!

I haven't used a brush since I started using it. I HIGHLY recommend using wipe out accelorator too. This cuts the time in less than half.

Just run a patch of accelorator then spray the wipe-out down the bore and leave it it for 12-24 hours. Then 2 or 3 patches and its done.

You can literally see the carbon and copper dripping out of the barrel. I;ve used it on "clean" guns cleaned with other cleaners and you still get stuff out of the barrel.

You will NEVER use a brush again.

Also, wipe-out has lubricants in it so you do not have to oil after your finished. Although I oil if I'm going to store the rifle over the winter.

...by the way, when I did brush I would run it back and forth and it never affected accuracy.

I\'m scared to not use brushes.......

carbon under super heat and pressures equals diamonds. I have seen a few of my barrels that I only "patched" through get carbon fouled to the point to where the carbon fouling was there for good.

It is very possible to get clean patches with carbon still present in the barrel because the carbon is underneath another layer of copper.

Cleaning a gun is no doubt a labor of love.

It is possible to take the sharp edge off the crown if you brush both ways to much ( custom crown )factory barrels are
normaly chamfered so it can.t hurt.

If you shoot matches of 50 shots or more befor cleaning
you may have to use a brush but befor doing this try a
swab with solvent to scrub with and then push patches through from recever end only with the aid of a throat
saver.

While hunting use a bore snake between shots then clean
using the swab and patch method every 4 or 5 shots.

Some like the nylon brushes. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts