Rifle cartridge for long range target AND deer hunting

Dirt_Nap

So I'm buying all my parts for a custom lr setup. I want a cartridge that will be good for lr and for hunting deer sized game. I will be building a separate rifle for hunting at a later date. I already have a rifle in 30 nosler that I use for elk/bear. After a lot of thinking, I'm leaning towards the .260 Rem. I will be solely handloading. Looking for a round with the recoil in check. It seems to fit both areas quite well but I would love some other opinions. Thx

Last edited:
6.5's are great for your intended purposes. The 260 is a good round, with a ton of brass. It really shines in a long action, and even more so if you AI it. 6.5 Creed if you want to jump on the bandwagon. 6.5x55 if you're feeling nostalgic and have a long action. Also if loaded to 6.5 Creed pressure levels the 6.5x55 will smoke it. There's lots of other great choices too.

.260 AI with a 26" 1:7 or 1:8 twist heavy barrel. Plus, Lapua makes .260 Rem brass for you to easily form into AI brass.

Or, to get some extra neck length to make up for the neck shortening during fire-forming, you could neck-down some Lapua .308 Win Palma (small rifle primer) brass, and to have some added strength to the case head as well.

Since you are handloading anyway, take a look at the 6.5SS or SST. It will easily outperform the ones you've mentioned a nd I have the reamer and dies in stock with headstamped brass available in 2 weeks. Check them out at shermanwildcatcartridges.com

......1:7 or 1:8 twist heavy barrel.........

Lots of good choices in 6.5 these days. A plain vanilla .260 will works for me, and what you describe. Keep it simple, or as exotic and intense as you like, but the faster twist will allow you to take advantage of all the bullets out there, and coming.

Love my .260, but also have a 6.5x284 and if you're handloading you can get more out of your 6.5 in that cartridge configuration. The right load will get you to 2950fps or better depending on barrel length. I also have a 6.5 Creedmoor and bought it because I couldn't believe the light recoil that it had in a light rifle, but to me the creedmore shines with the factory ammo selection. So, I would vote 6.5x284 for what you're looking for.

Thx for the opinions

Have you thought about a 6mm Creedmoor? Especially if you want a light recoiling cartridge. Commercial brass and dies are available...

Or...get a long action and get a 6.5x284. Get a proof research 28" barrel and spit out 140s @ 3200fps...

Keep it simple. I would recommend staying away from the wildcats or the ones campaigned by builders, but not SAAMI. Reason being brass availability or quality will come back to bite you in the butt. Don't believe me ? Ask the folks who own the SAUM...like me.
That's why you build a Sherman. Quality brass and availabllity with more performance than a Saum
You are correct though. Wildcats aren't for everybody!

I have a buddy who is a competitor in Long range shooting an his Hunting rifle is a 260 with all the caliber's out there the 260 is his choice.

Nothing wrong with a plain Jane .260 Rem or 6.5CM. You will get 2750-2800+ from a 22" barrel running factory ammo. Recoil is super light, ballistics with 130-140+s are great. You will be ringing steel to 1000 of the rifle is accurate enough. Great barrel life too. I have 1800+ in my 6.5SLR right now and still shooting in the .2s.

A legitimate 600-800+ yard deer rifle as long as you put the bullet where it needs to go.

Others to consider, but ammo is not as readily available.
6.5x47L
6.5-.284 Norma
6.5x55 Swede
.264WM (you can run it down to .260Rem speeds for steel, or hot rod it for hunting)
Etc.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.