Rifle/cartridge choice for daughter

I have an opportunity to take my 15 year old daughter on a private land elk hunt this fall. Trying to decide what is the best combo to carry. Here are the current setups. Obviously scopes can be swapped and different loads developed.

Ruger american LH 7mm08 18" barrel with 2-7x32 vortex viper shooting 139gr interbond. Fast handling, but roughest action and least energy.

Remington 700 bdl lh 270 with older Redfield 3-9x40 shooting 140 gr Barnes. It was my Dad's gun. She deer hunts with his 788 in 6mm.

Semi custom 35 Whelen with 24" barrel with vari x iii 3-9x40 shooting a 225-250 cup and core. A little heavy to tote but makes a big hole.

Tikka t3x lite roughtech with 24" fluted barrel and husqumaw 5-20 scope probably shooting 162 gr eldx. Just got 400 of those eldx. Haven't worked up load yet.

She shoots left handed and the area to be hunted has a lot of brush and cedars and some canyons. Quick sub 200 yard shots are a strong possibility. My initial thoughts are for her to carry the ruger american and shooting stix and keep the tikka cased in case a longer shot presents itself.
The 7mm-08 is a great choice, with the right bullets the 6mm she uses for deer is plenty capable also. Save the bigger stuff for when she's full grown.

I have an opportunity to take my 15 year old daughter on a private land elk hunt this fall. Trying to decide what is the best combo to carry. Here are the current setups. Obviously scopes can be swapped and different loads developed.

Ruger american LH 7mm08 18" barrel with 2-7x32 vortex viper shooting 139gr interbond. Fast handling, but roughest action and least energy.

Remington 700 bdl lh 270 with older Redfield 3-9x40 shooting 140 gr Barnes. It was my Dad's gun. She deer hunts with his 788 in 6mm.

Semi custom 35 Whelen with 24" barrel with vari x iii 3-9x40 shooting a 225-250 cup and core. A little heavy to tote but makes a big hole.

Tikka t3x lite roughtech with 24" fluted barrel and husqumaw 5-20 scope probably shooting 162 gr eldx. Just got 400 of those eldx. Haven't worked up load yet.

She shoots left handed and the area to be hunted has a lot of brush and cedars and some canyons. Quick sub 200 yard shots are a strong possibility. My initial thoughts are for her to carry the ruger american and shooting stix and keep the tikka cased in case a longer shot presents itself.
Interesting question and I enjoyed the discussion that ensued. I agree with all who said leave it up to the 15-year old to decide...so I guess that means she would try them out. Any would do. As to the left-handed question...I assume all the available guns are right handed. That is the way I started out with an Argentine Mauser, 7.65. You learn to manipulate the bolt by using your right hand to do it, holding the butt stock by the grip stock and against your shoulder. I didn't do that long and had a Savage 110 in a left-hand model and then got a Remington 700 LH and prefer that grip configuration...it was also the better shooter. I would go .270 Winchester myself.

Thanks for all the responses. Lots more than I expected. Here's a little more info for the discussion.

She has killed 12 whitetail with rifle, blackpowder and compound bow. Also a mix of coyote, turkey, geese, duck, quail and dove. Several rifle kills on deer at 150-200 yards. She prefers neck shots.

She also shoots 2000-3000/year of shotgun sports. Mostly trap.

She is also a typical boneheaded teenager, who does things like shooting a skunk with a bow from a treestand.

The 7mm08 is a lefthanded ruger american compact. Fits her well for a quick shot from various positions. It is currently wearing a 2-7x32 vortex. I can stick a 3-9x50 Burris or 4.5-14x44 Burris on it if we want.

The bdl 270 is also left handed, but a longer LOP and plastic buttpad. It doesn't have as much sentimental thoughts as the 788 6mm that she hunts with.

Thanks for all the responses. Lots more than I expected. Here's a little more info for the discussion.

She has killed 12 whitetail with rifle, blackpowder and compound bow. Also a mix of coyote, turkey, geese, duck, quail and dove. Several rifle kills on deer at 150-200 yards. She prefers neck shots.

She also shoots 2000-3000/year of shotgun sports. Mostly trap.

She is also a typical boneheaded teenager, who does things like shooting a skunk with a bow from a treestand.

The 7mm08 is a lefthanded ruger american compact. Fits her well for a quick shot from various positions. It is currently wearing a 2-7x32 vortex. I can stick a 3-9x50 Burris or 4.5-14x44 Burris on it if we want.

The bdl 270 is also left handed, but a longer LOP and plastic buttpad. It doesn't have as much sentimental thoughts as the 788 6mm that she hunts with.
She sounds really experienced so I'll stick with my original statement. Whatever rifle she likes the best is the right one.

I loaded up some 139 gr interlocks with 42 gr of varget. 10 shots at 100 yards. Just over 2 inch worst to worst. Best 8, 1.75. Take any 3 and you could cover with a quarter. Lots of guys would lie and throw out the outliers and call it a sub moa for 3. Group had some vertical stringing. Probably due to the flimsy stock. I'm not sure sure I can shoot much better with 2-7x32 and all factory $300 compact gun.

I couldn't find a new battery for my chrono. I'm going to shoot an interlock and interbond over it.

I thought it was interesting that Lee, Nosler and Hodgen all go to 43.5 gr max with a 139 gr bullet, but max out at 42.2 with a 140 gr. That is why I stayed at 42. I am thinking I will end up getting some 140 Partitions.

All will work with proper load and shot placement.

My advice is to let it be her decision, as it will improve her confidence, and leave it at that.

I wish her success, and look forward to the pics.

IMO 7mm08 all the way. Feed it a mono bullet for better penetration and keep shots closer. Have 4 kids and the 7mm08 has served us well, plenty terminal performance, and milder recoil. Also tried the 6.5 CM with the kids, but IMO it didn't kill nearly as well as the 7mm

My 16 yr old daughter has been using a 270WIN on elk since she was about 12. I download a 130gr Hornady SP bullet with H4895 to 2735fps and for shots under 300 it does well. She is left eye dominant and right handed but shoots right handed.
1661085498808.png

Real world, private land cow elk hunt should be a lot of fun and pretty darn easy. I'd let her choose between the 6 MM that she's been a killing machine with and the 7/08. Stick a decent bullet in either one in a good place and good things will happen.

Shouldn't be any issue to get within 250 yards and I'd take that shot all day long with my 22/250 and 55 Horns or 63 Sierra let alone her 6 MM or 7/08.

What bullet does she use in her 6 MM?

I can't for the life of me imagine what the fella has against the Interbond but if it shoots in her gun I'd use it all day long. I've a couple of buddies out here who've used that bullet a ton load for all that moves.

Let her choose, put her in a position to win and watch her put 4 feet in the air:)

Be sure to check back and let us know how she did....

Congratulations to you both , being 15 she still needs your Guidance,many great answers especially dry firing and working the bolt for a Second shot as mentioned, my pick would be the LH Ruger in 708 because it's the lightest,and I own a right handed ss youth model in 243 ,your bullet choice is great , as she grows up and gains hunting and Outdoor experience she start making her own choices ,I'm Super excited for you both ,keep it fun give her a 200 yard Zero and practice to 300 yds . Please remember us here and send us pictures of her Elk , Your a Great Father 🤣👏👏👏😉🥳😆

My go to deer and elk still hunting rifle is a Model 7 in 7mm-08. Love carrying that light quick gun. Just take good heart lung shots don't try to break shoulders. Everything I have shot with it died quick. Good luck!

Recent Posts