Rifle/cartridge choice for daughter

I have an opportunity to take my 15 year old daughter on a private land elk hunt this fall. Trying to decide what is the best combo to carry. Here are the current setups. Obviously scopes can be swapped and different loads developed.

Ruger american LH 7mm08 18" barrel with 2-7x32 vortex viper shooting 139gr interbond. Fast handling, but roughest action and least energy.

Remington 700 bdl lh 270 with older Redfield 3-9x40 shooting 140 gr Barnes. It was my Dad's gun. She deer hunts with his 788 in 6mm.

Semi custom 35 Whelen with 24" barrel with vari x iii 3-9x40 shooting a 225-250 cup and core. A little heavy to tote but makes a big hole.

Tikka t3x lite roughtech with 24" fluted barrel and husqumaw 5-20 scope probably shooting 162 gr eldx. Just got 400 of those eldx. Haven't worked up load yet.

She shoots left handed and the area to be hunted has a lot of brush and cedars and some canyons. Quick sub 200 yard shots are a strong possibility. My initial thoughts are for her to carry the ruger american and shooting stix and keep the tikka cased in case a longer shot presents itself.
7mm-08

I have an opportunity to take my 15 year old daughter on a private land elk hunt this fall. Trying to decide what is the best combo to carry. Here are the current setups. Obviously scopes can be swapped and different loads developed.

Ruger american LH 7mm08 18" barrel with 2-7x32 vortex viper shooting 139gr interbond. Fast handling, but roughest action and least energy.

Remington 700 bdl lh 270 with older Redfield 3-9x40 shooting 140 gr Barnes. It was my Dad's gun. She deer hunts with his 788 in 6mm.

Semi custom 35 Whelen with 24" barrel with vari x iii 3-9x40 shooting a 225-250 cup and core. A little heavy to tote but makes a big hole.

Tikka t3x lite roughtech with 24" fluted barrel and husqumaw 5-20 scope probably shooting 162 gr eldx. Just got 400 of those eldx. Haven't worked up load yet.

She shoots left handed and the area to be hunted has a lot of brush and cedars and some canyons. Quick sub 200 yard shots are a strong possibility. My initial thoughts are for her to carry the ruger american and shooting stix and keep the tikka cased in case a longer shot presents itself.
Tikka.

Definitely 7mm-08. Last year I found a Model 111/117 Lady Savage for my niece and she weighs maybe 110 lbs soaking wet...she loves the rifle and harvested a massive Whitetail (for Georgia) at close to 100 yards with 140 grain bullets. Exit wound was about 3" (accentuated with bone fragments) and the buck dropped where he stood. I'd go with 140+ grain bullets in Accubond or other Bonded bullet for deep penetration. Ruger American's are surprisingly accurate, light weight, and have a decent trigger so I would not hesitate with that setup. Note that for a scope, for a bargain, Weaver makes an exclusive for Natchess Shooting Supply with longer eye relief than most and multi-coated optics that hold zero...the added eye relief can come in handy. https://www.natchezss.com/optics/ri...997&op_brandline=223648,223649&order=position
For my niece I went with the 3-9x50mm as GA is maxing out at about 300 yds in open creek bottoms (other than on fields or power lines), bur the 4-16x44 is a nice compromise in objective diameter for added zoom on longer shots for Elk...

What do you not like about the interbond? I don't have much experience with it. If I don't use it, I would likely go with a 140 gr partition, if I can find some.
I haven't used those in any caliber. But at 7-08 normal velocities I'd expect it to work. Maybe a little research would help verify it. You see a lot of people using Ballistic Tips too with good success on elk.

What do you not like about the interbond? I don't have much experience with it. If I don't use it, I would likely go with a 140 gr partition, if I can find some.
You'd be a wise man to use that Partition...best hunting bullet ever designed, without question they have stood the test of time...

Any of those will work well, I'd hand her the one she is most comfortable with and shoots the most confidently with. The 7-08 with the 139 behind the shoulder will kill elk well. The 270 with a 150 cup and core is an elk hammer. Never seen an elk shot with a 35 whelen but can't imagine it won't be an elk hammer. Guessing the Tikka is a 7RM? I would honestly be a bit more comfortable with the 7-08 ad 139 interbond at 200 and in than I would with a 7 mag and the 162 at 200 and in, same for the 270 and 35.
I've never shot a 7mm08 but I'm a huge 7mmRM fan. I had a Btowning A-Bolt ll in 7mm Rem mag & with the BOSS brake it was not just a factory tack driver, I could shoot it all day long. Even a 15yr old girl should be able to handle it.

.338 Lapua, 20" barrel, she'll be fine! One of our ranch managers hunts elk with a beat up and crusty .243. He takes one every year. For younger folks, I always go back to something lighter recoil. The 7mm-08 will be just fine, as would a 6.5 (the devil), Creedmore.

Well, my recommendation would be the ruger american, but you may want to up your magnification on your scope like you have with the Tikka, as that may help with the shot placement, my 14 year old daughter shoots one of my 6.5 Creedmoors 3.6 x 18 magnification on it we moved away from the 3 x 9 and lower except for pistol. Have fun.

162 gr eldx is a 7mag I guess. The 270 win with the Barnes would be my choice. The Tikka as a back up. But really you should let her shoot all and see which rifle she shoots better with.

I've got to jump in here. I've never used the 139 interbank in my 7-08 ,but the results I've gotten with the 129 in my 260 have been nothing short of impressive. I believe the 7-08 is very underrated. That being said my vote is 7-08. It's ballistics are so close to a 270 and on a short action.

I'm a Weatherby guy through and through for hunting rifles and just got my youngest daughter 11 years old a 257 Weatherby. My older daughter 19 got her 270 Weatherby when she was 11 and my son 22 got the same when he was 11. They all shoot them very well and good old dad has spent countless hours and efforts to make them all shoot to their potential. Nothing better than having your kids carry on the passion of shooting and the hunting tradition! Please note that I'm not a rich man but I do put a high value of passing down the legacy of our great hunting traditions and values.

Attachments

• A7A1AFB6-78C5-4B78-BC73-02C3D97D1A60.jpeg
    A7A1AFB6-78C5-4B78-BC73-02C3D97D1A60.jpeg
    135.2 KB · Views: 38
  • AC315A00-F0B7-4831-BFBE-3221DF017C2B.jpeg
    AC315A00-F0B7-4831-BFBE-3221DF017C2B.jpeg
    333.1 KB · Views: 38

Recent Posts