Rifle/cartridge choice for daughter

This is where I would be at if I was in your shoes, doesn't mean it would be what's best for you though.

I'm partial to the .270, that's what my daughter shoots. She can handle the full power ammo, but for where we normally hunt I let her shoot reduced recoil loads (100 yards or less on 200lbs whitetails). For an elk hunt I would make her go with the full power load in the .270. She shoots my 300WM, so that wouldn't be an issue now with what to shoot for her. As an FYI, she's 16 and 120lbs so it's not like she's big. She has no fear of any recoil, she'll pull the trigger on anything she gets behind.

I like the 35 Whelen at reasonable ranges but her ability to shoot comfortably/accurately is the most important. 708 with a good bonded core or mono bullet at moderate range is a good choice. The 139 Interbond should work well. If recoil is a concern you can reduce it slightly by going to a lighter bullet such as Barnes TTX 120 grain or other solid copper bullet and still get the penetration needed for elk.

I have an opportunity to take my 15 year old daughter on a private land elk hunt this fall. Trying to decide what is the best combo to carry. Here are the current setups. Obviously scopes can be swapped and different loads developed.

Ruger american LH 7mm08 18" barrel with 2-7x32 vortex viper shooting 139gr interbond. Fast handling, but roughest action and least energy.

Remington 700 bdl lh 270 with older Redfield 3-9x40 shooting 140 gr Barnes. It was my Dad's gun. She deer hunts with his 788 in 6mm.

Semi custom 35 Whelen with 24" barrel with vari x iii 3-9x40 shooting a 225-250 cup and core. A little heavy to tote but makes a big hole.

Tikka t3x lite roughtech with 24" fluted barrel and husqumaw 5-20 scope probably shooting 162 gr eldx. Just got 400 of those eldx. Haven't worked up load yet.

She shoots left handed and the area to be hunted has a lot of brush and cedars and some canyons. Quick sub 200 yard shots are a strong possibility. My initial thoughts are for her to carry the ruger american and shooting stix and keep the tikka cased in case a longer shot presents itself.
My kids first elk was with a Ruger M77 compact Hawkeye in 7mm-08. That gun has taken multiple elk in the hands of youth.

I have an opportunity to take my 15 year old daughter on a private land elk hunt this fall. Trying to decide what is the best combo to carry. Here are the current setups. Obviously scopes can be swapped and different loads developed.

Ruger american LH 7mm08 18" barrel with 2-7x32 vortex viper shooting 139gr interbond. Fast handling, but roughest action and least energy.

Remington 700 bdl lh 270 with older Redfield 3-9x40 shooting 140 gr Barnes. It was my Dad's gun. She deer hunts with his 788 in 6mm.

Semi custom 35 Whelen with 24" barrel with vari x iii 3-9x40 shooting a 225-250 cup and core. A little heavy to tote but makes a big hole.

Tikka t3x lite roughtech with 24" fluted barrel and husqumaw 5-20 scope probably shooting 162 gr eldx. Just got 400 of those eldx. Haven't worked up load yet.

She shoots left handed and the area to be hunted has a lot of brush and cedars and some canyons. Quick sub 200 yard shots are a strong possibility. My initial thoughts are for her to carry the ruger american and shooting stix and keep the tikka cased in case a longer shot presents itself.
Another vote for the 7-08. My daughter has taken a really large 4x5 mule deer and 2 cow elk. One shot each and down right where they stood. I loaned the rifle to a friend for his daughter for 2 elk hunts and 2 more elk down right there. These were all with standard 139 Hornady BTSP's. You are using 139 Interbonds which are much stouter bullets than the Interlocks. She shoots left handed and the Ruger American is left handed making for a more comfortable rifle for her. 7-08 for sure!

Hello, You never mentioned what caliber the Tikka is???? That would possibly make a big difference. Of the choices listed above I would say that the 7mm/08 is a bit light for Elk, so I would immediately take that out of the group. The 35 Whelen has a pretty good recoil and somewhat limited range, however within 200 yards might work out. The Remington 700 in 270 is a very good choice but with the caliber of the Tikka unknown its hard to say whether the Remington or Tikka would be a good choice. Based on your choice of the 162gr ELDX, also a good choice I would suspect that the Tikka is a 7mm other than 7mm/08. Tikka's have good recoil pads but putting a good muzzle brake on it can reduce recoil considerably. My Browning 300WM kicks like a .243 after I had a brake installed. One thing for sure, pick one rifle, have her shoot and learn that rifle. Trying to switch back and forth can be a challenge, especially for someone relatively new to hunting, especially Elk hunting. It seems that being a lefty runs with my family and friends with me being the only right handed of the group. I have also noted that lefty's with a little bit of practice can run a right handed bolt just as fast as I can, maybe even faster.

The 7mm/08 will fit the bill nicely..just use a REAL quality bullet, not the one you mentioned and she'll be fine...and don't forget to spend time at the range on & off the bench...
What do you not like about the interbond? I don't have much experience with it. If I don't use it, I would likely go with a 140 gr partition, if I can find some.

7mm/08 would work fine. I would burn up some lead till season having her shoot in possible hunting scenario's, off sticks, over a back pack or even against a tree. I shoot OK at best off hand I never let my daughters shoot any game without a support of some kind. The more practice she has the more confident she will be in her ability.

ENJOY the hunt my girls are grown and gone with their own families now when that happens all you'll have is memories so treasure those times.

That's a decent plan. If you want just one rifle to practice with and do it all—I would go with the Tikka. I am biased. Also jealous. I have two lefty kids and only one lefty 6.5CM my 11 YO some will use it this fall. Need a lefty in 7mm for the 17 YO daughter now that little man has taken over that rifle. Would love a Tikka 7mm RM. anyway, good in you for taking her hunting; I hope you guys have the time of your lives!!

378 weatherby 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣😁😁😁😁😁😁😁

Just kidding obviously. The fit of the rifle to her is more important than the chambering up to a point. And muzzle brakes are awesome for this. Make sure she's comfortable and the rifle feels natural in her hands above all else and she can probably handle a way bigger gun that you'd expect. On the other hand with a poorly fitting stock that results in an awkward uncomfortable hold even a .243 can scope someone. I know because ive seen it happen!!!!

I like your choice but lean to 270 as do all

My daughter has been killing deer, hogs and elk with her 7mm-08 since she was 10. I started her with reduced loads of H4895 and the Nosler 120 Ballistic Tip. Little bullet does great! 39 grains keeps recoil down to 243 levels. The last few years she has been shooting elk with the 140 grain Accubond. A full case of H4350 goes 2720 fps out of her 20" bbl. She kills out to 400 yds on elk without issues. People really underestimate this cartridge but it can shoot really small groups and kill game with the best of em. Numbers aren't flashy but results are impressive. The 150 grain eldx wouldn't shoot out of her rifle but the Nosler ABLR 150 grain do. These bullets are crushing mule deer. Rldr 17 gets them moving 2677 fps. I've never shot the 150 Berger Classic Hunter but they would be a good choice at 7-08 @ speeds too I'm sure. If you need any load data DM me and I can send you some info. Happy hunting with your daughter!!
raudy, I worked up a load of 4895 with that 120 ballistic tip at about 2800fps. My son shot his first elk at 60 yard angling away. The bullet went through the guts and punched a baseball sized hole out just behind the left shoulder. That bullet kills way above its pay grade.