Rifle/cartridge choice for daughter

As bad as I hate muzzle brakes, I put one on my daughter's (14 at the build time) hunting rifle. A Win. Model 70, B&C stock in 30-06 pushing 165 grain Nosler Partitions pretty hard.

This was 30+ years a… I'd do the same today…..only substitute the Partitions with 150 to 165 Barnes TTSX's!

Her children started using it in their early mid teens! A lot of Whitetails have been taken with that rifle! memtb
I started my daughter out with the 260 at 11 years old. She wanted to try my 300B with a brake when she was 14 and she hasn't let it go for the last 11 years.
To the OP, If it fits her OK, I'd let her shoot Grampas 270. But I'm nostalgic that way.

Thanks for all the comments and tips. We did a little work out back this evening with 7mm08 and 10/22

1. Walk around with 7mm08. Pick out tree, tire, etc. Dry fire, stay on target, cycle action and dry fire again.

2. 10/22 double tap 2.5 gallon jug at 50 yards off stix. Move forward and double tap off waste high elbow rest. Stand up and free hand one at 50-60.

3. Sitting position with elbow on knee with 7mm08 shooting at 1 gallon jug at 75 yards

4. Walking into a quick freehand shot on 1 gallon jug at 30 yards.

As bad as I hate muzzle brakes, I put one on my daughter's (14 at the build time) hunting rifle. A Win. Model 70, B&C stock in 30-06 pushing 165 grain Nosler Partitions pretty hard.

This was 30+ years a… I'd do the same today…..only substitute the Partitions with 150 to 165 Barnes TTSX's!

Her children started using it in their early mid teens! A lot of Whitetails have been taken with that rifle! memtb
I'm not too worried about the recoil or noise. She shoots ATA and ffa shotgun shooting sports. She shoots 50-125 rounds of 12 gauge a couple times a month.

I'm not too worried about the recoil or noise. She shoots ATA and ffa shotgun shooting sports. She shoots 50-125 rounds of 12 gauge a couple times a month.

My daughter was a non- hunter/shooter…..so I was trying to make it as comfortable as possible. If your daughter shoots lot of shotgun….she can certainly handle the 06 without that dreadful brake! memtb

Thanks for all the comments and tips. We did a little work out back this evening with 7mm08 and 10/22

1. Walk around with 7mm08. Pick out tree, tire, etc. Dry fire, stay on target, cycle action and dry fire again.

2. 10/22 double tap 2.5 gallon jug at 50 yards off stix. Move forward and double tap off waste high elbow rest. Stand up and free hand one at 50-60.

3. Sitting position with elbow on knee with 7mm08 shooting at 1 gallon jug at 75 yards

4. Walking into a quick freehand shot on 1 gallon jug at 30 yards.
I do not want to assume anything, but how is the LOP on her?

Shooting position might change LOP.

The 7mm/08 will fit the bill nicely..just use a REAL quality bullet, not the one you mentioned and she'll be fine...and don't forget to spend time at the range on & off the bench...

I have an opportunity to take my 15 year old daughter on a private land elk hunt this fall. Trying to decide what is the best combo to carry. Here are the current setups. Obviously scopes can be swapped and different loads developed.

Ruger american LH 7mm08 18" barrel with 2-7x32 vortex viper shooting 139gr interbond. Fast handling, but roughest action and least energy.

Remington 700 bdl lh 270 with older Redfield 3-9x40 shooting 140 gr Barnes. It was my Dad's gun. She deer hunts with his 788 in 6mm.

Semi custom 35 Whelen with 24" barrel with vari x iii 3-9x40 shooting a 225-250 cup and core. A little heavy to tote but makes a big hole.

Tikka t3x lite roughtech with 24" fluted barrel and husqumaw 5-20 scope probably shooting 162 gr eldx. Just got 400 of those eldx. Haven't worked up load yet.

She shoots left handed and the area to be hunted has a lot of brush and cedars and some canyons. Quick sub 200 yard shots are a strong possibility. My initial thoughts are for her to carry the ruger american and shooting stix and keep the tikka cased in case a longer shot presents itself.

7mm-08 all day, every day for this situation. I have killed a bunch of elk with the 7mm-08 performance level

I have an opportunity to take my 15 year old daughter on a private land elk hunt this fall. Trying to decide what is the best combo to carry. Here are the current setups. Obviously scopes can be swapped and different loads developed.

Ruger american LH 7mm08 18" barrel with 2-7x32 vortex viper shooting 139gr interbond. Fast handling, but roughest action and least energy.

Remington 700 bdl lh 270 with older Redfield 3-9x40 shooting 140 gr Barnes. It was my Dad's gun. She deer hunts with his 788 in 6mm.

Semi custom 35 Whelen with 24" barrel with vari x iii 3-9x40 shooting a 225-250 cup and core. A little heavy to tote but makes a big hole.

Tikka t3x lite roughtech with 24" fluted barrel and husqumaw 5-20 scope probably shooting 162 gr eldx. Just got 400 of those eldx. Haven't worked up load yet.

She shoots left handed and the area to be hunted has a lot of brush and cedars and some canyons. Quick sub 200 yard shots are a strong possibility. My initial thoughts are for her to carry the ruger american and shooting stix and keep the tikka cased in case a longer shot presents itself.
13 year old grandaughter 7mm-08 , 250 yards mossberg patriot 3x9 vortex her own hand loads

Attachments

• DE5C9BB5-A1AB-4A97-AB54-D62A113B6654.jpeg
    DE5C9BB5-A1AB-4A97-AB54-D62A113B6654.jpeg
    122.7 KB · Views: 73
I'll jump in here and say the caliber is so much less important than fitting the rifle to her frame. LOP, cheek weld and weight allow even timid shooters to handle recoil and put them where it counts.

My daughter has been killing deer, hogs and elk with her 7mm-08 since she was 10. I started her with reduced loads of H4895 and the Nosler 120 Ballistic Tip. Little bullet does great! 39 grains keeps recoil down to 243 levels. The last few years she has been shooting elk with the 140 grain Accubond. A full case of H4350 goes 2720 fps out of her 20" bbl. She kills out to 400 yds on elk without issues. People really underestimate this cartridge but it can shoot really small groups and kill game with the best of em. Numbers aren't flashy but results are impressive. The 150 grain eldx wouldn't shoot out of her rifle but the Nosler ABLR 150 grain do. These bullets are crushing mule deer. Rldr 17 gets them moving 2677 fps. I've never shot the 150 Berger Classic Hunter but they would be a good choice at 7-08 @ speeds too I'm sure. If you need any load data DM me and I can send you some info. Happy hunting with your daughter!!