Rifle cartridge build ideas?

The way that I too read the OP's request is for suggestions of chambers with case capacities between that of the 7BR and the 7x57 or 7-08.

7mags, .284's and .280's are all more capacity than that, yet that is all that most seem to know about.

I'm wanting to build a medium 7mm. I have thousands of 7mm bullets and need a good cartridge to use them in. I havent found much on the interweb in this class of cartridge. I have a 7x57 and 7mm-08 isnt out of the question but I'm thinking along the lines of the 6/6.5 Lapua size or GT size case. It needs to be something I can find/modify dies for and fire form from something that's somewhat available. I have a machine shop so modifications are at my fingertips. I'd like it to handle a decent array of weights, say, 120-140 grain. FIRE AWAY FOLKS!
My choice would be 7 SAUM

I'm wanting to build a medium 7mm. I have thousands of 7mm bullets and need a good cartridge to use them in. I havent found much on the interweb in this class of cartridge. I have a 7x57 and 7mm-08 isnt out of the question but I'm thinking along the lines of the 6/6.5 Lapua size or GT size case. It needs to be something I can find/modify dies for and fire form from something that's somewhat available. I have a machine shop so modifications are at my fingertips. I'd like it to handle a decent array of weights, say, 120-140 grain. FIRE AWAY FOLKS!

Would be helpful to know what the plans are for this rifle, what action are you planning on doing the build on? I'm not familiar wit the 6/6.5 Lapua cartridge, if I were looking for something in the 7mm line I certainly would be considering the .280 Ackley Improved cartridge. It is an efficient and versatile cartridge, that can be either loaded up to full potential or down to have fun shooting at the range and not getting beat up. As for a wildcat cartridge, I wanted a wildcat cartridge, was considering the .280AI until Nosler changed the case dimensions and got a SAAMI certification on the round so they could sell their components at what I consider extortion prices. So.............I chose to build a .270 Ackley Improved instead. It is by far a superior cartridge to most of the new designer cartridges out there and uses a lot less powder to get the job done, does a stellar job with the 130 and 150 grain bullets, however for me "it" is a PITA when it comes to making brass. I am retired and I still have trouble finding time to either fire form or hydro form the brass and I am only getting three to four reloads out of the brass. I have been trying to get some Norma brass or some Peterson brass but that seems to be impossible even under good conditions. Again my vote would be for the .280 Ackley Improved in the 7mm caliber. Good luck with your build.

With a ~1.89" overall case length is a 7CM really going to be that much smaller capacity than a 7-08?

If you want to do something unique, how about a 7-30 Waters? Yeah, I know what the challenges are there in a bolt, but it's been done reliably. I can think of 3 and possibly 4 vintage calibers with rims that were bolt actions and in two cases for sure (no pun intended), in machine guns.

I like to shoot the 7x30 waters. I used this in my TC contender and liked it so much that I got a 22" carbine barrel for it. I generally load bullets in the 120 to 150 gr weight. It has no recoil. It can be made from 30/30 cases. In the 22 " barrel I get velocities in the 2400 to2600 range. I've used it to shoot several deer and a couple antelope out to 250 yds.

CROWD SOURCE: I'm going to look for 7 IHMSA dies, reamers, barrels for an experiment. Savage or Remington barrels. Will you all ask around, look for these items? If I dont like it I'll go another route.

I am in the same boat I have 280 and 7mm tcu just left the range and on the way home I was thinking 7mm Grendel or GT. I have a 6mm creedmoor I shoot a lot but I like the idea of something with more bullet and less powder I have a Grendel case and 7mm 130 laying on the bench from this morning I need to go to my friends house and pick up a GT case and stare at both for a day or two Good luck keep us up to date

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.