Rifle cartridge build ideas?

Last edited:
Plain Jane 7mag is a great choice.Light bullets or heavy bullets,it's the perfect case.Brass is common and you don't have to do anything special to it.It's like the 30-06 of the 7mm's,it just plain works.

the thought of 7 Creed has crossed my mind, really, lol.. I'd be surprised if it didn't equal the 7-08.. The small primer pocket, TOUGH Lapua brass would make it an eye opener, IMO.

Even in the 7-08 I run the NBT 120's, should be a fine match in the creed case.. IMR 4166 works quite well in the creed case.. Hell's bells, I think I need to order another reamer. In the interest of science !

Have you seen or heard of the GT case necked up? The Br I think would struggle with the 140 weights.
My introduction to the BR family was an XP100 in 7BR. It was then the current darling of the handgun metallic silhouette shooters in the area, and all of them used 140's on the rams. I wouldn't write it off as unsuitable for 140's. I *think* the powder of choice in the day for the 140's was H335, but it has been a while.

Years ago there were slightly shorter .308's out there. Like .308 X 1.5 and .308 X 1.75 The 1.5's became the BR cases, so building a 7-08 X 1.5 would be an exercise in regression for no gain. No reason that you couldn't build a 7-08 X 1.75 if you want a little less powder capacity than a 7-08. Could probably even make it an AI if so desired.

Since 1962 the King of 7mm has been the 7MM Magnum. I have had 280 Remington that was very nice rifle and the new 280AI is very intriguing. But 7MM Mag is proven top of the food chain. Again, there are others, but proven as the 7MM Mag has been.

I have build (2) 7 X 57 and both have been great deer / pronghorn rifles. If I was to build again I would go with a 284 Winchester either standard or a modified version, hard to beat all the way around.

I'm wanting to build a medium 7mm. I have thousands of 7mm bullets and need a good cartridge to use them in. I havent found much on the interweb in this class of cartridge. I have a 7x57 and 7mm-08 isnt out of the question but I'm thinking along the lines of the 6/6.5 Lapua size or GT size case. It needs to be something I can find/modify dies for and fire form from something that's somewhat available. I have a machine shop so modifications are at my fingertips. I'd like it to handle a decent array of weights, say, 120-140 grain. FIRE AWAY FOLKS!
You won't be disappointed in the 280 rem.

The #16 OP is looking for ...
If I could get into a case closer to 36 to 40 grains with a sharper shoulder and small primer I'd be happier. I have an abundance of 6 and 6.5 rifles and a pile of 7mm bullets.
This is why "I" never ask what rifle to built or buy.

Good luck with your project, JK.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.