Rifle cartridge build ideas?

John Klingenberg

I'm wanting to build a medium 7mm. I have thousands of 7mm bullets and need a good cartridge to use them in. I havent found much on the interweb in this class of cartridge. I have a 7x57 and 7mm-08 isnt out of the question but I'm thinking along the lines of the 6/6.5 Lapua size or GT size case. It needs to be something I can find/modify dies for and fire form from something that's somewhat available. I have a machine shop so modifications are at my fingertips. I'd like it to handle a decent array of weights, say, 120-140 grain. FIRE AWAY FOLKS!

I have a buddy that built a 7x47 and loves it I think he is using a modified 6.5x47 bushing die I really dont see it as a great option with the 7-08 being right there and a great round I like the 7mm-08AI about 75fps more speed and no trimming of the brass I did mine with a extended mag box for the heavier bullets

I'd like a 7-08 but I really dont need all that horse power. I spend a lot of time behind the 6 br stuff and just want a slight step up. All those bullets i have need to get used. They been sitting in the reload room about 20 years. The long action stuff is out. The 7x47 looks awesome but I'd like it just a hair shorter. I wont use for much other than steel, maybe a deer or coyote now and then.

Have you seen or heard of the GT case necked up? The Br I think would struggle with the 140 weights.
I would think you should be able to hit 2600-2650 with a 24 inch tube with a 140 not familiar with the GT case but an extra 100fps or so would darn near be 7-08 speeds

The gt runs about 40 grain case capacity versus probably 10 more in the lapua and 708 cases. They're showing 28-2900 with 115s in the gt. Hmm. This may be my answer.

I think you are about spot on for velocity

Last edited:
The br was on my short list but I think it's a tad too slow. Its listed at about 2400fps with the 139gr. I havent seen the XC case necked up or an improved br in 7mm in my research.

I thought 7mm_08 wasn't out of the question in the opening post.
I like it in the 7mm class, I would think it could be used for your purpose unless you just want a smaller case either to conserve powder or reduce recoil. I'm thinking the difference may be negligible but anything exotic could increase case costs or die costs

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.