Rifle carry

Since in the backpacking section, I use the Kifaru gunbearer (attaches to hip belt and shoulder strap)

Attachments

• BD854400-6A53-4581-B2A8-8F801FDECA75.jpeg
    BD854400-6A53-4581-B2A8-8F801FDECA75.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 19
Another vote for the Kifaru Gunbearer. It served me well when I went to Wyoming and plan on using it again in Montana this fall.
Since in the backpacking section, I use the Kifaru gunbearer (attaches to hip belt and shoulder strap)
I'm new to the sport and will be picking one up...looks like it could work for a 12 gauge as well as I attempt to find mountain turkeys. With 2-6 mile day hikes to get away from other hunters, could be nice to not have it on your shoulder.

I'm new to the sport and will be picking one up...looks like it could work for a 12 gauge as well as I attempt to find mountain turkeys. With 2-6 mile day hikes to get away from other hunters, could be nice to not have it on your shoulder.
I did a lot of hiking with mine and found it much nicer than using a sling.

It should work fine with your shotgun. Just need to make sure the pack will accept it. The Molle attachment holds things in place more securely than wrapping on the belt. I have Kifaru packs and they work very well. My sons both have Mystery Ranch Pintler and it works on those too, a little more fussing to get things right but works fine.

None of my centerfire rifles wear a sling. For me, slings and packs don't make a good marriage for carrying. I have a pack on my back almost 100% of the time while moving. If spotting... well, the there is no need for a sling. I use a Kifaru gun bearer when hiking in/out, otherwise the rifle is in hand.

None of my centerfire rifles wear a sling. For me, slings and packs don't make a good marriage for carrying.

What's the issue you experience with carrying a rifle with a sling on a pack? I also use the Kifaru Gun Bearer.

My rifles get a sling for the times when I want to leave my pack and venture on.

I always keep, my EXO Pack, ON me ( as it has, Water / Kill kit / Rain & survival, chit, extra Ammo and, my Napping, hip pad ) UNTIL, ready to Shoot.
If, the Shot is past, 350-400 yards, I'll USE, the "Stuffed" Pack, to prop up, Rifle with, a Toe rest, Prone ( I don't need, use or, carry, a Bi-Pod ! )
I'll never, be, far from, my Pack !
I put, my Sling, in Pack ( Just in case ! ) as only, a couple, ounces but, seriously doubt, IF,.. I'll ever use it, tho !
The Sling is nice, to hang the Rifle off, tree Branches,.. sometimes

Last edited:
Depends on how steep the hill I'm climbing is, if the hill is really, really steep, I will strap the rifle to my pack (Badlands Diablo Dos) so I have both hands free to break a fall. Otherwise, barrel taped, strap on right shoulder.

How do you carry your rifle?
Ching sling. The 30-06 700LR is heavy and when I don't think I will have to react fast, I carry on my right shoulder where I can swing down and catch it with my left hand. My marlin 30-06 is light enough to carry ready to shoulder. It really depends on the terrain and the distance and my condition. At 74 I can go all day with a light pack but I conserve energy where possible. If I have to drag out game I use the rifle crry built into my pack.