Rifle carry weight for walking a few miles?

Sounds like a very personal question depending on physical fitness. Id carry a 20 pound rifle if it's what I wanted to shoot. For the past two weeks I've been carrying two rifles for miles.

Im not sure why everybody frets about rifle weight. Unless you're doing some extreme long-range stuff where weight matters because you can't carry enough water or you're burning too many calories and can't carry enough to replace them then carry what you can tolerate.

MPR in 338 Lapua with Leupold Mark 5HD 3.6-18x44 and Javelin Bipod. 12.0lbs per my handy luggage scale. Loaded with ammo..

Attachments

• CA338.jpg
    CA338.jpg
    372 KB · Views: 88
Yep, you're going to get a bunch of SUBJECTIVE opinions. Too may variables that will go into the choice, however mine is about 9-10 lbs all fitted out.
Yes I'd have to go along with ya there, 7-8lb gun w/2lb for scope set up & a good strap ( something I didn't even consider a factor when I was young & healthy ) now the claw sling does a decent job carrying a 9lb pushin 10lb rifle w/ a 2lb scope on my back while havin to " old school " drag my deer out of the Florida pine tree rows & undergrowth full of briars lookin to trip & entangle at every foot step about 300yds in the dark a tough job. The sling did such a noticeably helpful difference in what I would have had to contend with " PITFA " cheap slings I'd had on other guns it did make me reflect back on that issue in some past hunts where long hikes & heavy rifles & shotguns & either havin no sling or whatever cheap sling I could find made my choice in how to use a good sling helps make it less arduous.

Several years ago, I went to REI and order out a set of backpack shoulder harness for a Kelty framed pack. They were set up on left and right hand sides. Being left handed I did the left handed strap modified to use quick detach sling to stock attachment. Can't get a better padded shoulder strap anywhere. It set me back about $70.00 at the time getting it all done. Works good! If you are using a backpack to carry the rifle is okay as long you are in open country, but in the woods that's a different thing.
SSS
Mike

IDK about "ideal" weight but I have a Fierce CT Edge rifle in 7mm-08 that weighs in at 7.5 with Scope, bi-pod and sling. I'm likin' that pretty good. 22" barrel is also very handy riding around in UTV/ATV & over steep terrain. Knocked down a nice Mulie in CO last Nov at 475 yds off the sticks with it...

My current setup (no bipod) comes in at around 12 lbs. I carried it coyote hunting/scouting this spring on a 7 mile trip and never felt like I wanted a lighter rifle.

For comparison, I'm 5' 10" and weigh about 165. So I'm not a big guy by anyone's standards.

That said, I don't concern myself with rifle weight much. I carry what I like to shoot, regardless of the weight.
I'm like you. I don't give rifle weight much thought. I'm also 5'10" and weigh 185 lbs. I guess 10 yrs. in the military made me get accustomed to that. I have a varmint rifle that weighs around 14 lbs. and I've carried it prairie dog hunting over hill and dale without a second thought. Maybe I'll look into one of these new lightweight rifles and see how they perform accuracy wise. I'm always open for change.

Really it just. Depends on what you are comfortable with. Me personally my mountain and pack I find I try to have them under eight pounds. I don't use a bipod simply because I don't like the weight. But when u start getting into rifles of this weight especially in magnum calibers you tend to loose some accuracy after 3-5 shots depending on the rifle. But most hunting situations that simply is not a problem.
but really this is entirely your decision. Lots of different things can come into play, Like how you carry the rifle, Sling, pack. If tour in bear country it is pretty necessary to Cary in your hand. How many days in a row will you be lugging it? How much recoil to you like so mind shooting with a muzzle break or not. What kind of terrain are you walking in.

The Bergara day pack has a built in rifle carrying bucket/sling that is great for a day hunt. Puts the rifle right in the middle of your back. For a multi day backpack hunt most of the major pack manufacturers offer a rifle sling attachment either as an add on or with the pack. Two years ago I went on a hunt without the attachment and when I got home ordered it immediately. I'll be using it this year so we'll see how it goes.

I know this has been done too many times but here goes again.
Not necessarily asking about a mountain rife for walking steep terrain but what is your preferred scoped with bipod total rifle weight for a couple miles of carrying on foot and being able to routinely make shots on game out to 800 yds or so.
I hunt while walking so my rifle would be 8 lb max. but if I was just carrying it to my watch 2 miles away then 10 lbs would be fine. I am 66 years young so I do not want anything heavier.

my 300 win mag is just an ounce or two over 7 pounds (bi-pod, scope, rifle and sling). I hit 600 yards routinely for my made up sport of hike and shoot. hike a while in the hills, see a rock or something at distance, range it, set up and shoot. this could be 1,200 yards to 200 yards. my only complaint about the rifle is.. it will not shoot over 600 yards well with 190 grin VLDs. so I want to rebarrel it with a 1:8" twist barrel. I will also be able to shot my favorite 215 and 220 grain VLD's. if the gun was heavier I think I would still use it and be good with it.

You guys sure know gave to open up buckets of worms. My favorite long range rifle is one I built two years ago. 7mm STW, stainless steel magnum action, 27 1/2 inch 5r fluted Broughton Sendero barrel, and HS precision stock. Weighs over 10 pounds without scope and accessories. So, I only take it for hunts that I don have to walk far or can hire some to carry it for me. I'm 68 years old. Consequently, I hunt mostly with my titanium action .300 SAUM that weighs less than 7 pounds with scope, sling, and bipod and I keep my shots under 600 yards. When I think about I've only shot twice at game over four hundred yards(not counting coyotes and varmints.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.