Rifle carry weight for walking a few miles?

I like them thick, usually 13-15 lbs and I have hunted all over NM for long distances. It's all about the setup you choose to sling or carry them in. With the wrong sling a 8 lb rifle gets uncomfortable. I run gun slinger pack or tab gear biathlon sling. This where those left side flush cups on mag fed bolt guns help out!

My rifle is around 13 lbs including scope, bipod, etc. so I use a Eberlestock G3 Phantom. Other options out there as well. It has a wide scabbard and a pack. My A5 stock and 50mm scope easily fit. Length is no issue. Of course if you're going to want water, etc. it's a nice combo. If you are hiking to an area to hunt, the scabbard detaches from the pack. Switch the straps to the pack and carry the rifle with pack only. Lots or room, pockets and molle. I find it very effective.

For me I would say about 10 lbs if I'm just walking closed logging roads. But I have taken my 13 lb 300 win mag on some stupid hikes. When its so steep your on all 4's and wishing you had a rope to help pull yourself up on.... I would much rather have an 8 lb gun.

My lightest LR rifle is 12lbs, my heaviest is 15lbs. This includes scope, sling and bipod and is also the loaded weight.
My lightest carry gun is just under 6lbs, a 44 mag stainless lever copy of the '92 Winchester.
My light 300WM is 8lbs, with the same criteria as above, then they all get around 9-10lbs. My 338's, 300's, 375's & 416's all run around those numbers.
The weight for me is never a consideration, I take whichever tool is best for the job.

Cheers.

Last edited:
I know this has been done too many times but here goes again.
Not necessarily asking about a mountain rife for walking steep terrain but what is your preferred scoped with bipod total rifle weight for a couple miles of carrying on foot and being able to routinely make shots on game out to 800 yds or so.
I use a cooper model 92 with scope at 7lbs shot and killed elk at 700 yes and one less 2 elk si far 1 shot each

9-10 is what my preferred style of rifle weighs. This is a folding chassis, vx6 hd 3-18, thunderbeast suppressor, aics metal mag.....

If I had my overall preference for weight I'd lean toward 7-8. A lighter rifle is just easier to move and most long range shooters can manage that first shot ok. Biggest issue is if you can stay on target for the follow up or follow the shot through the scope. Recoil management is a funny topic because people will call you a p***** if you discuss it in the sense of wanting to reduce it. The issue is that when poking a critter at those distances and hunting solo is that you really need to be able to stay on target see what is happening.

I have 2 lightweight rifles ( 6.5 PRC & 300 Win Mag ) both are New Ultra Light Arms (NULA). Both rifles have identical optics and weight 6.5 lbs. Perfect carry weight for mountain terrain. Maximum range is about 500 yards (+ / -). Excellent accuracy.
Recently sold my long range 300 Win Mag that weighed 9.5 lbs and was an awesome and highly accurate 'Carry' 1000 yard rifle

Each to their own, carry what works for you. Packing a 12-15lbs rifle makes sense if that is what you are comfortable hiking with. Personally, less is more and having a lightweight, effective shooting platform is more important than carrying a heavier, larger caliber boom stick. My current setup tips the scale at 8.5lbs to include optics, bipod and a loaded magazine. Titanium & carbon fiber is worth its weight in gold when your chasing giants in rugged, steep country.

Fierce CT Edge 300PRC
Nightforce NX8
Atlas Bipod
Hornady 212 ELD-X

Near or Far....it don't care!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.