Rifle carry weight for walking a few miles?

If only a couple miles on relatively flat terrain, the sky is the limit. Go heavy it will be more pleasant to shoot easier to tune and you will be more accurate with it. Id say 15lbs or so. My edge was 20 and didnt both me for a mile or two in the mountains. Now if your going to be in the mountains with thin air, 10lb is nice scoped.

All in, loaded w/ bipod, I would say 11 to 12lbs will meet your needs. I've carried this all day many a season in the mountains and the low/flat country, although I no longer use the bipod which saves me over a pound, and to be honest I'm looking for something a little lighter in the mountains, but back home in the whitetail woods, no problem. All of my 'hunting" rifles unloaded and scoped are in the 8 1/2 to 9 1/2 range.

You will always know this, if it is a little heavy buy a good accurate rifle, no matter what-- you won't just leave it leaning against a tree some where and walk back without it.

7 lbs.
I don't use a tripod (I carry shooting/walking sticks).
I have a homemade padded sling where the pad slides so I can carry muzzle up or muzzle down.
I don't shoot at animals at 800 yds.

I know this has been done too many times but here goes again.
Not necessarily asking about a mountain rife for walking steep terrain but what is your preferred scoped with bipod total rifle weight for a couple miles of carrying on foot and being able to routinely make shots on game out to 800 yds or so.
I have a custom built 264 mag that weighs in at 14 lbs, with scope, rings and ammo. It would wear out my shoulder by the end of the day humping up and down the mountain. I recently got a backpack type sling for it that is rather robust and padded and I hope that might save my shoulders.

My go to rifle is a X-Bolt FLD .30-06 with a Z5 3.5-18X44. It weighs about 9 pounds on the bathroom scale. I'd start training by just getting my endurance up though walking/running a couple of miles to start. Once the endurance is built up I'd add a backpack with some weight like books and add more books until you can make your miles without too much difficulty. When you're ready for the trip the rifle won't weigh as much as you think.

If your hunting from a blind and your guide takes you there in a truck or ATV it won't matter how heavy your rifle is.

If you're going to trek into the back country like the guy on the Solo Hunter YT channel you'll need to be in much better physical condition than most of us are.

Rifle w/scope, binoculars, mono pod, backpack with water, food items, first aid kit and other items if you might have to make an unplanned overnight stay...can add to the weight very quickly.

The rifle and water will be the majority of the weight you carry unless you use those filtering systems to drink from creeks or streams. A buddy used one of those filtering systems on water from a livestock tank that had algae floating. It was very warm water but the filter cleaned it right up.

Last edited:
For me, I've gone to a shorter rifle at 7.5-8.5#, with a stiff 20"bbl., mid weight optics.
Rifle just sits still & shoots well at the distance I'm comfortable at.
More accurate than the longer lighter rifles I've owned, & much nicer to carry than the heavier ones.
YRMV.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.