Rifle carry weight for walking a few miles?

djfergus

I know this has been done too many times but here goes again.
Not necessarily asking about a mountain rife for walking steep terrain but what is your preferred scoped with bipod total rifle weight for a couple miles of carrying on foot and being able to routinely make shots on game out to 800 yds or so.

Plinker147

The ideal weight is going to be 9-10 lbs for most. the lighter you go the harder it is to make a 800 yd shot in hunting terrain and conditions. The guns seem to settle nice at that weight. Ideal shooting weight is going to be around 12+

I personally have lighter guns for the days I know I’m walking a bunch but my max shooting distance drops to around 600 yds. Not because of the guns accuracy but because of my ability to shoot a light gun in hunting conditions accurately

ShootMo

My current setup (no bipod) comes in at around 12 lbs. I carried it coyote hunting/scouting this spring on a 7 mile trip and never felt like I wanted a lighter rifle.

For comparison, I'm 5' 10" and weigh about 165. So I'm not a big guy by anyone's standards.

That said, I don't concern myself with rifle weight much. I carry what I like to shoot, regardless of the weight.

sixfivefanboy

I know this has been done too many times but here goes again.
Not necessarily asking about a mountain rife for walking steep terrain but what is your preferred scoped with bipod total rifle weight for a couple miles of carrying on foot and being able to routinely make shots on game out to 800 yds or so.
If you are talking flat land to and from a stand or someplace like north dakota, I would say 20lbs. For a long time my coyote gun was around that and I didnt have a problem hauling it a mile from the truck and back to make a stand.

Mountains are a different story - my current rifle is around 10lbs, but my next one will be between 6-7 all in.

djfergus

I've got rifles with weight all across the board. My lightest long range rifle weighs right under 9 lbs scope bipod & sling and that's with 5-22x50 30mm tube scope. 26" bbl. I just finished up with a 27" 6.5 saum sprial fluted sendero contour. It ended up dead on 12 lbs with sling bipod & scope.

brcfo_outdoors

Probably about 10-12lbs. A big factor is the carry system, as a crappy sling can make even a light rifle burdensome after a while. Strapped to or integrated into a pack system, I feel like it is much easier to handle a heavier rifle without noticing the additional weight. Slung I personally start to experience abrasions on my shoulders, especially when also carrying a hydration pack and/or bino harness. As a result, I like padded slings with a little bit of bungee in them, and avoid permanently attached bipods because their pointiest edge will always find your tenderest spots.

ARCaveman

Mine is also right around 10lbs when all said and done. I’ll also reiterate what some others have said. A lot of the battle is how you carry your rifle. I’m also a big fan of a quality scabbard attached to my pack. Makes a 10 lbs rifle feel like 5lbs.

Trending threads