Rifle/Caliber Dilemma - 308 win vs Magnums

ReachOutNTouchSomething

Planning to pick up a new rifle to build on in the next 2 weeks. The 2 guns that have my eye are the Remington 700 sps-varmint 308 win, which i was dead set on until i saw on remington's sight that they have came out with a 700 sps long range in 25-06, 300 win mag, 7mm rem mag, and 300RUM. I already have a 25-06 that fills the spot of my carry rifle but im looking for more of a setup gun to shoot from 400-800 and very likely beyond, mostly for ringing steel or other targets but also for my primary long range hunting rifle. The magnums shine over the 308 in ballistics but the 308 would be so much cheaper to shoot and i could send many more rounds down the tube, but the more i researched it doesnt see like the SPS Long ange has been released, havent given the gun shop a call yet but can anyone verify if theyre out?

Planning to pick up a new rifle to build on in the next 2 weeks. The 2 guns that have my eye are the Remington 700 sps-varmint 308 win, which i was dead set on until i saw on remington's sight that they have came out with a 700 sps long range in 25-06, 300 win mag, 7mm rem mag, and 300RUM. I already have a 25-06 that fills the spot of my carry rifle but im looking for more of a setup gun to shoot from 400-800 and very likely beyond, mostly for ringing steel or other targets but also for my primary long range hunting rifle. The magnums shine over the 308 in ballistics but the 308 would be so much cheaper to shoot and i could send many more rounds down the tube, but the more i researched it doesnt see like the SPS Long ange has been released, havent given the gun shop a call yet but can anyone verify if theyre out?
Pick up a remington Police model 700 300wm, or a Sendero in 300wm and you'll have all the gun you need to get to 1,000yds.

No you can't shoot it as cheaply as you can the 308 Win, but when you are proficient enough to try shooting it on game at those ranges you won't have that sick feeling of "I wonder if I have enough gun???" to deal with.

The SPS will work, but most likely you'll end up spending enough on it to get it properly accurized to pay for a Nice Model 70 or 700. I picked up a great shooting little Mod 70 classic on gunsamerica.com last year for about 700 that shoots sub MOA with Factory Superformance Hornady Ammo.

The SPS is kind of Remington's "entry level" rifle and just not known for good accuracy.

My advice would be to save some extra money so that when you come across a great deal you can snatch it up. I've been doing that for the last thirty years and I've had very good results.

My little brother's kids and grand kids will never have to buy a rifle as a result since they will inherit a large collection from me.

Buy a used Remington 788/.308 in good shape and restock it if you like, as I've done. This is a Boyd's laminate I bought on closeout, unfinished, for $100. Some sanding and a can of Valspar spray poly finished it. Ultra rigid receiver, great accuracy. The rear 9 lug 60 degree bolt vs the 700's front 2 lug 90 degree setup, is stronger, and faster due to shorter movements. 788 receivers have been used extensively over the years in custom benchrest rifles due to their rigidity and finer barrel threading. I've had this one 25 years, restocked it 3 years ago. Great shooting rifle. If you get one with a worn barrel that doesn't shoot that great have a new med/heavy target tube installed. You'll have less than $600 in it if it has a good tube, maybe slightly more if it needs a new barrel. Depends on how much you have to give for the rifle.
resized.dscf0152.jpg

resized.dscf0155.jpg

Last edited:
Im pretty set on the SPS Varmint or long Range model (if available) they are the same barreled actions as the 700 Police just in a junk stock, which will be replaced with a B&C Mealist A2.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.