Rifle burst tests, how good is your rifle?

Topshot, very interesting video. Do you know what caliber the rifles were? Presumably all were the same caliber. I ask because some appeared to recoil more than others.

Also, all visible failures were in the barrels. Apparently they were welded shut at the muzzle, maybe simulating a mud plug? I wonder if the actions were damaged and if so, how badly.

It would be good to know the purpose of the tests and the parameters used.

Thanks for posting the video, Tom

specweldtom,

Not sure of the calibre but the results are obvious.
The rearward movement of the rifles may have had something to do with how hard they were held in the vice as some seem to slip in the jaws.

Interesting how the Remington and Browning barrels just blow apart, I wouldn't want to have been holding onto them when they desintergrate.

The European made ones however just bulge and flex a bit then return to original size. Even the thin Tikka T3 and Manlincher barrels do quite well.

The actions all seem to hold together quite well. It seems that the barrel is the weak link.

Hmmm I wonder why no Winchesters were on there. Im a Winchester nut, but from what I saw, Im guessing probably simmilar to the Browning since they were ''in bed togather'' for so long. Thats spooky for sure! I keep my rifles spotless clean, but from the time I was old enough to pick one up, my dad ALWAYS made sure I checked the bbl for any obstructions, and the habbit is still with me today. Thanks for the video, its a great reminder as to why we look down the pipe first.

I didn't see a Mark V in there either.

At a demo in California(before I was born) Roy Weatherby took a 30 cal bullet, and lodged it(how I dont know....primer fire only maybe???) part way down the bbl of a Mark 5, 300Wby, then loaded it with a live 300wby round and fired. The crowd was duckin for cover, but the Mark 5 was sound, and didnteven bulge the bbl! This is word for word from the guy who was there at the demo.
Now I wasnt there so I cant sewar on a bible that its true. I also couldnt tell you if it was opperable, or damaged beyond safe fireing, Nor could I tell you if the bolt opened after fireing. But with what I hered, the bbl did NOT blow up. Both bullets came out the proper end. Great quality guns. Wish I had one. But Id NEVER try a test like that! Mr Weatherby, as briliant as he was, mustve been a little nutts too!

I have heard or read this too a long time ago. It was to demonstrate the strength of the new Weatherby MK V bolt/action design.

I dont know about today, but the Weatherby MK V barrels used to be very stout toward the breach and tapered to a finer muzzle.

I would never try such a stunt, but I could see how it could work in a strong action and barrel.

specweldtom,

Not sure of the calibre but the results are obvious.
The rearward movement of the rifles may have had something to do with how hard they were held in the vice as some seem to slip in the jaws.

Interesting how the Remington and Browning barrels just blow apart, I wouldn't want to have been holding onto them when they desintergrate.

The European made ones however just bulge and flex a bit then return to original size. Even the thin Tikka T3 and Manlincher barrels do quite well.

The actions all seem to hold together quite well. It seems that the barrel is the weak link.
i beleave tikka a sako use hammer forged barrels. may have something to do with it

My only problem with the test is there is not enough data on what cal,bullet,powder,what barrel
contour and so fourth.

Sometimes a test can be conducted to be self serving and does not represent all manufactures equally
so I would save my opinion until there is more data.

The test mentioned about the Weatherby MK5 was conducted by White laboratories and ALL actions
were tested to destruction. I have tried to find this test and have not been successful yet.

I have no ax to grind and have seen custom barrels fail for various reasons so all the votes are not
in as far as I,m concerned.

J E CUSTOM

Topshot, to answer your question : Which barrels do you think fail the test? The answers pretty obvious...the weaker ones:D:D:D. Thanks for sharing the vid.

If you watch this closely, staring at the barrels about 8-10" from the forward face of the receivers, you'll notice that every barrel that didn't shrapnel, did rupture or bulge at this location of the barrel. Which is located right about where the forend hand would be gripping the forend. Better start wearing a leather shooting glove on that hand... :)

For example, the Tikka T3 (I own two of these) spurt some gas out from the barrel and displayed a bulge fracture, even though it didn't shrapnel like the Rem M700 BDL.

Hey, is this what you M700s owners mean whey you say Remmy 700s are 'da bomb'?

Last edited: