rifle build

saskhunter

Well I have decided to build up my 300wsm. I have a rem. sps stainless. plan on getting a 26" barrel either lilja or rock creek in a sendero taper, still not sure about the detachable mag or not. but here is my real delima, looking at getting a mcmillian a-5 but not sure it is the right stock. I see on the sites with lots of people using them prone but what are they like for shouldering standing and shooting? If I am walking through the bush and an elk jumps out in front of me I dont have time to laydown and take a shot. Would the Manners thumbhole be better for standing or prone or does the a-5 work. A shop close to my house keeps A-5's in stock so it would be easy to get. Elk and Mule deer are my target species. Not sure if this helps but my two elk were taken both less then 60 yards and my Mule deer range from 100 to my longest kill of 330 yards. thxs for any help possible

I've never had a McMillan but I have two HS Precision thumbhole sporters and they work great for any shooting position.....Rich

thanks elkaholic. i will have to look into those. man i thought there would be more replys about the mcmiliian stock being fired from the shoulder in the standing position, good or bad lol. oh well

This is how I build one of my deer/elk rifles. I used a Broughton 5c #4 contour 1/12 twist 24" long barrel for my first 300WSM in a MODEL 70 HUNTING McMillian stock.

Gunsmith is putting together another one using same style McMillian stock #3 Kreiger 1/11.25 5r barrel be finished appr 25.6". Used Win model 70 actions that were already set up for the WSM.

I haven't found the need to change from the basic design of a hunting stock if I have to lay prone for a shot I'll throw my pack down shoot over that some times I'll shoot offhand my last buck and elk were off hand shot. I have acouple varmit rifles used a Lee Six thumbhole stock but wouldn't use one on big game rifle.

I used a B&C on a 30-338mag,Banser on a 270WSM,H&S on 35 Whelen. As long as the rifle balance nice from the shoulder what I'm concern with and I try and keep rifle/scope weight 8.5 to 9.25lbs. Well good luck

Ive hemmed and hawed over getting a thumbhole for years. Theyre great for many things, but I learned the hard way with a shotgun while duck hunting...........
DONT put your thumb over the top or your nose bleeds for a while:D. It was my buddies shotgun, and I didnt have time to think to put my thumb in the hole first.
There are thumb hole/short roll over combo stocks Id still try, but when things happen quick, be they ducks, deer, or elk, muscle memory takes over, and sometimes it hurts:D Im still undecided.

I go with McMillan HTG Adj for my hunting rifles. I don't have an A5 yet but will have one soon. From what I understand if you will be primarily shooting prone go with the A5, if not use something else. I shoot just fine prone with my other stocks

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts