Rifle build

greener280

I am going to have a 7mm Remington Magnum built within the next six months but I am still torn on an idea. I want to get a few other opinions on the situation before I spend the money. Ok I am ordering the barrel within the next week and it will be a 26in fluted #5 lilja and the stock will most likely be a HS sporter (as long as it doesn't have a palm swell) but neither of these items is where im having a problem. I am torn between actions; Either a Remington or a stiller predator. I know that the stiller action is a great action but my concern is that is it necessary to build a hunting rifle on a stiller over the Remington.

Not at all the 700 action is more than capable of handeling what you wan to do with it. IMO its all you need for any long action build even for bench rest. It is stron and dependable and proven. and lots of aftermarkets for it.

Nothing wrong with the 700 action especially if you already have a donor action or find a good deal on one. Just make sure to get it trued by a quality smith. With that said in most cases the cost when starting from scratch is close between a trued 700 and the Stiller especially if you flute the bolt. When starting from scratch the custom is the way to go. You might also want to check out the Surgeon round action. There is a group buy going on over at sniper hide forum. Either way you go you will be happy.

Dan

I dont have a rifle to build on yet so this will be from scratch. I know the stiller is going to be right around 1000 with a trigger and lower metal. any ideas on what it will be to tune a rem action saying the donor gun will be around 400

I agree with djbwow2008. If you already own a Remington 700 long action and your willing to use it as a donor action than you have everything you need. But if you don't have an action as of yet a custom may be more in line price wise. Here's a brief comparison.

You already own the Remington 700 with bottom metal and factory trigger. All you really need is to have the action blueprinted and done right ($150). Have the factory trigger tuned ($25) or replace it with a jewel ($225). Holland recoil lug ($40). This is assuming the bolt face is already a magnum and you don't need to open it up and have a sako extractor installed. This way you'll spend between $215 and $415. If you had to go out and buy a Remington 700 say an SPS you'd spend about $550. Now your up to between $765 with a factory trigger and $965 with a jewel trigger.

Now if you go with a Stiller predator your cost would be about $825 no trigger and no bottom metal but you get a good recoil lug. You'll spend another $225 for a jewel trigger and depending on which bottom metal you choose between $125 for a factory floorplate and magazine box up to $400+ for all badger stuff. So now your up to between $1175 and $1450 if you go with a Stiller predator.

The closeness is if you had to go out and buy a Remington, have it blueprinted, use a jewel trigger, Holland recoil lug and factory floorplate and magazine. Cost would be about $965

If you bought a Stiller Predator, used a jewel trigger, Remington factory floorplate and magazine it would cost you about $1175.

A difference of $210 and you've got yourself a custom action that will hold its value better than a Remington will.

There are different ways to spin the numbers depending what components you plan on using. Best thing is to figure all them out, price it out and see which ones suits your needs better.

I have a Timney in one of my rifles and while others may disagree I wouldn't buy another. Stick with rifle basics or Jewel like kevin recommended.

You can't go wrong with either

I went with the 700 action for my build (264 wm). Here is what I did. I went Pawnshopping and was told to offer a 1/3 of the asking price. I bought a rem 700 bdl for $300 + brady. My gunsmith charged me $200 for blueprinting, trigger work and re-barrel. I used to want to do the custom route, you know I wanted to be different. Whenever I do stuff like that to be "different" I find myself jealous of all the cool stuff my "everyday normal" cohorts could easily get for their rifles. I bought a used HS precision stock for $50. So with a new custom barrel and all the work just described I spent about $900. Oh, I recommend softening up your gunsmith with some whitetail steaks and salamis. Good luck and this is just the way I went. I am not an expert by any means what so ever.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.