Rifle build

Elkhunter2007

I'm wanting to build a rifle 300 rum with a defiance action and Proof research barrel….starting out on building a rifle never built one before what action and barrel combo should I go with I'm a hand loader so I don't want a Sami spec throat in the rifle I'm wanting to shoot the Berger 230 and 245 bullet . Any help far as the build process would be great I don't now much about the treads size of action to barrel I need to order . Can someone point me in the right direction thank u .

Sounds like you already have an action/barrel combo in mind. This should be fun- lots of questions about to be asked of you ranging from intended purpose to mechanical ability.

A53F1B32-3277-4F87-80B1-6ADCAF175A29.gif

I'm wanting to build a rifle 300 rum with a defiance action and Proof research barrel….starting out on building a rifle never built one before what action and barrel combo should I go with I'm a hand loader so I don't want a Sami spec throat in the rifle I'm wanting to shoot the Berger 230 and 245 bullet . Any help far as the build process would be great I don't now much about the treads size of action to barrel I need to order . Can someone point me in the right direction thank u .

My "help" will consist of suggesting you contact the gunsmith you want to build your rifle, and going over all the options with him/her. Good luck, having a custom rifle built is always fun!

Start with the round, IMO. What case and bullet? Yes, I'm saying buy bullets, brass and dies first. Then load a dummy where the base end of the bearing surface is even with the base of the neck. Measure CBTO. That is very close to case length plus freebore measurements.

The OAL will drive your mag and action selection choices. It will also drive the overall feasibility of the cartridge & rifle.

Then get with your gunsmith. Do you want to get a reamer or find one that is close enough? A guy that has built several long RUM's likely has a reamer with known results.