Rifle build suggestions

jfseaman:

Any experience with the 338-300win?
I made up some dummy cartridges for one of the forum members so he could use them to get his reamer/rifle/stuff setup.

There is a thread about it. I can't find it.

Myself except for specific Weatherby chamberings, I am on the 26-Nosler wildcat path in my builds right now. The 338/26-Nosler, so far, is very promising. The testing cycle of a 338 with up to 100 ultra mag or almost ultra mag rounds fired in a day got me to put a brake on it. It was in the lathe at the smith yesterday so it will be done by now.

Going over to the Smith Monday

I made up some dummy cartridges for one of the forum members so he could use them to get his reamer/rifle/stuff setup.

There is a thread about it. I can't find it.

Myself except for specific Weatherby chamberings, I am on the 26-Nosler wildcat path in my builds right now. The 338/26-Nosler, so far, is very promising. The testing cycle of a 338 with up to 100 ultra mag or almost ultra mag rounds fired in a day got me to put a brake on it. It was in the lathe at the smith yesterday so it will be done by now.

Going over to the Smith Monday

Sounds very interesting. Are you seeing any advantage to the 338-26 over a regular ultra mag?

Sounds very interesting. Are you seeing any advantage to the 338-26 over a regular ultra mag?
I have a 338 Edge and the 336/26-Nosler. Tried a 338WM before rechambering it to 338/26.

So

338 Edge - known data. For mine I'm on my starter load because it's fun. Throwing 285 Hdy hpbt at 2650. Not even trying to go fast.

338/26-Nosler. I wanted to start with copper to take it to NM for elk. It's sending 185 TTSX at ~3200fps as a starter load. Working good so far. An issue I have with my reamer is I can not seat long until I move the throat out a bit.

When it gets back it gets the strain gauge and after the hunt, load work ups for lots of bullets with pressure data. If it can send a 285 at 2750 from a 24" barrel I will be very very happy.

Advantage: A little more efficient. More bullet combos that will fit mag length.
Disadvantage: I don't think it will throw 300s as fast as others would want.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts