Rifle Build ??s

H2OFUZZ

I am having a rifle built in 300WSM do you guys think this is enough caliber for elk out to 1000 Yds if you guys want ill get the quote up here for ya so you can see what i am having built. Thanks for the help.

H2O

Here is what i am having built.

DrewPortquote-12.jpg

It's capable, but you are running the edge of its ability. It will greatly depend on load, bullet, and elevation as to how effective it will be. Running a 208 A-max or the Berger 210 will get you there. You will have to push it to 2900+ in velocity. I suggest a 28" or longer barrel. There are some better bullets out there, but you will be paying for them. JLK makes a high BC 210 that would work well also. Give us the nitty gritty on your build. Inquiring minds want to know. :cool:

Tank

I am having a rifle built in 300WSM do you guys think this is enough caliber for elk out to 1000 Yds if you guys want ill get the quote up here for ya so you can see what i am having built. Thanks for the help.

H2O

Elk and 1K in the same sentence keep adding up to .338

Parts dont mean a thing Barrel twist and bullet is the only thing I would be looking at if I was going after Elk at 1K with a WSM. And if I intentionally went after Elk at 1k it would be with a .338

If I read it correctly, you are paying $350 for a "premium barrel."

That's a hefty charge. What barrel make is that? Shilen?

Can you kill an elk at 1000 yards with a 300 wsm? Yes, but it is not a good choice. Why limit yourself when there are many good choices out there. I would suggest getting an elk rifle that is designed to do the job and not something marginal that you try to make fit to the job. I have a 300 wsm and love it. But when I go after long range elk I prefer one of my big 338's.

$350 does not seem out of line for a barrel, especially if there is fluting involved.

and again, you should go with something in the 338 range because you stated it was for elk. it's a much better option. build a heavy 338 for long range elk. and then build a lightweight 300wsm for closer range deer.

guns are like golf clubs. you need different ones for different occasions.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts