Rifle build price estimate

BoomFlop

I know there are probably tons of variables, however, what would it cost to put the following components together by a gunsmith if I supplied the parts:

Remington 700 action Trued Action with Timney Trigger
Proof Carbon Barrel
H-S Stock
H-S Bottom Metal

I'm not looking at anything radical for specs and am weighing the build vs buy options.

Thank you!
Steve

I know there are probably tons of variables, however, what would it cost to put the following components together by a gunsmith if I supplied the parts:

Remington 700 action Trued Action with Timney Trigger
Proof Carbon Barrel
H-S Stock
H-S Bottom Metal

I'm not looking at anything radical for specs and am weighing the build vs buy options.

Thank you!
Steve

Steve,

Cost will depend on the gunsmith's hourly rate. The last time I had my gunsmith chamber and thread a barrel and mate it to an action was $250 (includes squaring the face of the action, when necessary). It's best to contact the gunsmith who is going to put it together for you. Good luck!

Ed

Add all of what up? I'm not sure what is needed to be done hwy1strat, which is why I asked the question of approximate cost.

$250-$350 should get me pretty close then FEENIX? I don't have a gunsmith, and none close. I'd probably end up shipping it somewhere.

If you supply all of the components then I would guess your cost would be around $500 to $900 to have a gunsmith put it all together depending on who you go with. Since it will all be shop and machine time it will just depend on their rates. But it should be somewhere in that range. That has been my experience with having things like that done anyways.

FEENIX nailed it. The hourly rate of the gunsmith is extremely important. An example would be if your stock needs altering to float the barrel correctly. This may take 8 hours. Stocks needing to be altered is one of the biggest time eaters. Supplying the components will keep the price down but make sure they are all compatible without any major machining. More work, more time, more money.

Add all of what up? I'm not sure what is needed to be done hwy1strat, which is why I asked the question of approximate cost.

$250-$350 should get me pretty close then FEENIX? I don't have a gunsmith, and none close. I'd probably end up shipping it somewhere.

We have some LRH members that are reputable gunsmiths that can easily do an excellent job for you. Check your PM.

You may want to start by learning what all the services are, so when you send it off, you get back exactly what you wanted. Kampfeld Customs is a phenomenal gunsmith, in Idaho, that you can ship everything to. I have used him several times and he has always been excellent and generally has quick turn around times

To true and blueprint action, cut/thread tenon, chamber barrel, time barrel, cut/crown muzzle, assemble all components, you are looking at $500-600.
If you want additional.work like:
Install and time muzzle brake, bed stock, add Wyatt's extended box, Cerakote, install/adjust trigger, bolt knob, etc., costs go up.

Make sure you have all your parts to save time and money. Contact your preferred gunsmith and talk over your game plan.

BoomFlop, "you" have to do your homework with a build. You can get ideas and suggestion, but you're the ultimate decision maker with the build. Before you even start I'm thinking that you have to decide what your budget is going to be, what caliber are you going to make the build in, what do you plan on doing with this rifle hunt (affects decision on barrel length), steel, what kind of game you are going to hunt if you plan to hunt with the rifle (thin skinned/nasty something that will bite you in the ***:rolleyes: or a combination thereof), what distances are you planning to use/shoot/hunt with your build? I just built a rifle, it took 4-5 months before I was able to decide exactly what I wanted, where it was going to be built; even the cartridge that I was going to do the build in (for 300-600 yard thin-skinned game). If you go with some of the big companies, their pricing is pretty much scheduled out in their website. I live on the east coast, sent my rifle to Montana because I found a gun smith to do the work on my Ruger 77. At first I could not find someone who was good at working on Rugers and who enjoyed working on them and with a good reputation. With a Remington action you ought to be able to find any number of good gunsmiths or larger companies out there to do your build. Try a forum search on this site to see if there are already some good suggestions for making your build. My build was a simple rebarrel in .270 Ackley Improved (26" Lilja barrel), trigger job, pillar bedded and glass bedded stock, blueprint the action, refinish to Cerakote it's going to cost between $700-850 before I am done; and, I suggest that you not be in too much of a hurry to get the build completed because that's probably not going to happen! There's a saying of, "Do you want it right, or....do you want it right now!!??" I'm planning to restock the rifle later when it fits into the budget. That doesn't include the cost of a stock ($400-600+), the carbon fiber barrel is not going to be a cheap date either. I guessing somewhere in the $2000-2500 ranges. I saw a used/like new Remington Sendero yesterday at a gun shop, stock rifle with a synthetic stock, that was $1200 and nothing special.

BoomFlop, I spent almost a year deciding on what I wanted for my first build. I researched a TON on builders (read reviews and spoke to them on the phone) and spent quite a bit of time on forums, YouTube, etc - trying to make myself as competent as I could before I reached out to the smiths to chat. Picking components I had many lists of choices and would narrow them down to exactly what I wanted for my budget.
Like AliBiiv, above said take your time and figure out exactly what you want, because this is an investment in both your time (waiting for parts and assembly) and money. The worst part about custom rifles is that it is a disease that results in them multiplying at your home.

Alibiiv

Thank you very much. I am looking for the cool factor more so than the function factor. I am looking to build a rifle for coyotes and deer (probably in 243 or 6.5x284). I am not concerned with stock or bottom metal as I have that option covered. I am just looking for an approximate cost if I buy a Remington 700 action and have a Proof chambered and installed. Not looking at getting all fancy with the action, caliber or throating, etc.

Thank you,
Steve

Alibiiv

Thank you very much. I am looking for the cool factor more so than the function factor. I am looking to build a rifle for coyotes and deer (probably in 243 or 6.5x284). I am not concerned with stock or bottom metal as I have that option covered. I am just looking for an approximate cost if I buy a Remington 700 action and have a Proof chambered and installed. Not looking at getting all fancy with the action, caliber or throating, etc.

Thank you,
Steve
If you are "looking for the cool factor moreso than the function factor"....why are you going with a budget build with an R700 action and HS stock in .243Win???

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.