Rifle build help

geauxtigers

I am new on this site and am about to have a new rifle built for me. However, I am stuck on whether to keep what I am building as a 7stw or rechamber to a 300 RUM. What are some of the benefits from one to the other. I am planning on shooting the 168 bergers from a 28 inch schillen match select with a remington action in the 7 stw. Not sure what I would do with the 300 RUM.

Thanks

What do you wish to shoot? Little tiny possum sized Louisiana deer or Montana woolly mammoths. What range do you wish to shoot them at? Down in the bayou at 50 yards or on the slopes of the Wind Rivers at 900 yards. The final use of the rifle determines what cartridge is best suited for the job.

In all of this don't rule out such bullets as the 160 Accubond and the 180 Berger. These are very useful bullets for a 7mm.

I am mostly a deer hunter but hunt in fields where i can reach out about 700 yards. I had a 6.5x284 built for me about 2 years ago and love it just not for deer hunting. I think I am going to go with the 300 rum with the predator action. I was going to steal the remington action out of my 7stw sendero for the build but am having second thoughts on breaking down a gun that shoots so well. Another reason I am wanting to stay with the 284 caliber is because of the high BC of the berger bullets. The rest of my build will be a schillen match select barrel not sure on length yet but prob 28, stiller predator action, mcmillan a5 stock and a jewel trigger. What is your opinion? Thank you

If your stw shoots good I think you have about as good as it gets for your purpose. I have five 7 stw's and three 300 ultramags. I would keep the good shooting stw and build a 300 ultramag. Then your good for about anything that walks. One of my 300 ultramags has a 1-14 twist 28" barrel for shooting light bullets and it is a lazer out to 700 or so yards. After that the low bc kills it in the wind. It shoots a 130 Barnes tsx right at 4000 fps and the 150 grain nosler etip with a .469 bc right at 3800 fps. It is a pleasure to shoot deer size critters at your 700 yard range estimate. Extremely flat shooter. But it is a specialized weapon and if you ever wanted to go 1000 yards or so it will not shoot the long, heavy high bc bullets.

I am mostly a deer hunter but hunt in fields where i can reach out about 700 yards. I had a 6.5x284 built for me about 2 years ago and love it just not for deer hunting. I think I am going to go with the 300 rum with the predator action. I was going to steal the remington action out of my 7stw sendero for the build but am having second thoughts on breaking down a gun that shoots so well. Another reason I am wanting to stay with the 284 caliber is because of the high BC of the berger bullets. The rest of my build will be a schillen match select barrel not sure on length yet but prob 28, stiller predator action, mcmillan a5 stock and a jewel trigger. What is your opinion? Thank you

Sounds like a good package to me. I have had two 300 RUM's and don't think you will be disappointed with performance. They will do everything and more that an STW will do. There are some high B.C. .308 bullets as well......Rich

Thank You all for your help. I think you are right I will just keep my STW the way it is and build a 300 RUM from the ground up. If anything later down the line I will replace the barrel and maybe the stock on my remington 7stw. Thank You again for your feedback.

Taylor

Good decison. Dont break down a good shooting STW for shooting deer. When you rebarrel you can always get a 300 RUM then or whatever. I'm not sure why you would want to replce the stock unless it's the newer one. But it shouldn't be hard to sell.

Curious as to why you don't like your 6.5X284 for deer hunting? It should lay them down. Is it not barreled with a fast enough twist or something?

Bob

No it should be and is fine for deer hunting. I just like a cartridge with a little more horse power. JUst personal preference. I have shot deer with everything from a 243 to a 300 mag. The larger calibers just seem to be much more effective at longer distances to me. But dont get me wrong I love my 6.5 and it is very accurate.

Taylor

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.