Rifle build for daughter

I shoot a 7.62x40 and I really like it for a hunting round. I have only used it out of AR platform so far but I'm waiting on a barrel from x-caliber right now in 7.62x40. I have a savage that will be a switch barrel between 223 and 7.62x40 (would have gone to the 300 ham'r on this but already have everything to load x40 and there isn't enough difference to buy all new stuff). Wilson Combat replaced the x40 with the 300 ham'r so that is my long winded suggestion...300 ham'r.

Last edited:
I'm voting for the 221 fireball. It's a fun little cartridge. I started reloading it for my brother-in-law who has 2 of them and couldn't talk him out of one. It's a joy to shoot and great for kids !!!

The 222 is very hard to beat for pure accuracy. With a good barrel and a good bedding job, it will probably be the most accurate rifle you own. If the plan is to shoot paper and varmints, then the 222. If it might be used for deer or hogs, then I'd go 6mm.

Last edited:
The 222 is very hard to beat for pure accuracy. With a good barrel and a good bedding job, it will probably be the most accurate rifle you own. If the plan is to shoot paper and varmints, then the 222. If it might be used for deer or hogs, then I'd go 6mm.

Honestly it's rather light for deer other than head/neck shots, especially big bodied deer found through the Midwest and northern states.

I've seen a lot of Texas deer shot with the 222 and 223 and they just lack the necessary energy to ensure clean kills consistently with body shots.

I'd also hate to put that kind of pressure on a kid nor have them have to deal with a horribly wounded head shot deer. I've seen quite a few of them and had to put them down days or even weeks after a bad head shot by other people.

2" below the ear on a line between the ear and point of the shoulder and it's quite adequate on hogs out to 200yds, but again, that takes a lot of precision.

Something like the 6.5 Grendel gives a lot more room for error and body shots.

Honestly it's rather light for deer other than head/neck shots, especially big bodied deer found through the Midwest and northern states.

I've seen a lot of Texas deer shot with the 222 and 223 and they just lack the necessary energy to ensure clean kills consistently with body shots.

I'd also hate to put that kind of pressure on a kid nor have them have to deal with a horribly wounded head shot deer. I've seen quite a few of them and had to put them down days or even weeks after a bad head shot by other people.
True words here. I've killed many deer with a 223 with head or neck shots over the years. The last paragraph of your response is exactly I won't do that. I've been down that road and seen what it does to a young hunter.

One more thing to consider...if it was a 222 originally, the magazine box has a block in the back. You'd have to check what length cartridge would fit without modification. Otherwise, you could probably find a new mag box and follower....maybe.

any one of the TCU flavors should do you well. slight increase in capacity over the 223 case but it dont take much in those small cases to make a big difference. the 6 TCU or 25 TCU would be the ticket for new shooters

One more thing to consider...if it was a 222 originally, the magazine box has a block in the back. You'd have to check what length cartridge would fit without modification. Otherwise, you could probably find a new mag box and follower....maybe.
Yep tossed that since it would be a hindrance

Ok I'm looking for some thoughts on a rifle build for my daughter. She is 8 but is needing a lot of instruction with handling and shooting a rifle. I have a 722 action that will be going in a chassis for the time being. Problem I have is caliber selection. It was originally a 222 which I love but the opportunity to go a different route keeps nagging at me, almost to the point of my wife asking me to do chores..... almost. I digress, cartridges I'm looking at are:

6x45 - very intrigued
221 fireball - yes I have weird taste

223 is out since I already have one she will get when I die. Will be shooting mostly handloads from the start depending on caliber. Will be a short barrel to run suppressed. Any additional cartridges I should be looking at or considering?

The first person that suggest 300 blackout will be taken off the invite list for the birthday party and that will suck because there will be a piñata, cookies and ice cream cake!! Don't be that guy!!

Thanks
SC
I started my daughter on a 22lr, an old Remington bolt action that is a vintage early 1970s, from my youth, she loves the 10/22. Then got her a 20 gauge a few years back, she has outgrown the youth stock on the 20 gauge, she shoots one on my 6.5 Creedmoors, now but will probably build a 6 mm ARC for her using that upper on an AR15 platform that will be lighter. The other cartridge I was considering was a .204 Ruger. This little lady will inherit my collection as well. Have fun with the build and the dad/daughter time. Shooting sports outweighed golf from the fun aspect, but we may still golf on occasion.

I started my daughter on a 22lr, an old Remington bolt action that is a vintage early 1970s, from my youth, she loves the 10/22. Then got her a 20 gauge a few years back, she has outgrown the youth stock on the 20 gauge, she shoots one on my 6.5 Creedmoors, now but will probably build a 6 mm ARC for her using that upper on an AR15 platform that will be lighter. The other cartridge I was considering was a .204 Ruger. This little lady will inherit my collection as well. Have fun with the build and the dad/daughter time. Shooting sports outweighed golf from the fun aspect, but we may still golf on occasion.

Having used it, I would say No to the .204 Ruger on Deer. It's just not enough gun to do the job cleanly and consistently.

Ear holing pigs up to 150lbs or coyotes though it's awesome.

The 6.5x47L especially shines as a crossover round she can shoot everything with up to large deer for life with an extremely mild recoil. My first "deer rifle" was an old Remington 742 in .243 and the 6.5L has less than half the felt recoil.

or even the Grendel with light bullets

6.5 Grendel

The Grendel is an awesome round for kid's first, "Deer Rifle".

I was going to say 6.5 Grendel in the AR platform. There should be no length of pull issues. Since you said you already have one, why not let her use that at first? That will allow you to build a rifle with a more substantial cartridge to be used as she gets older. Just my two cents worth.