Rifle Build 35 whelen light weight

Dads is a 1988-ish Remington Classic w/ 22"barrel. Clocks in at 8lbs 3oz with a Leupold 4.5-14x40. Things a thumper but its good elk medicine.

20201103_093223.jpg

I sometimes find it useful to think about these builds in reverse before committing. You know what the purpose is. Consider the best optic for your purpose. This will, to some degree, determine your scope mounting options and eventually stock fitment. Failure to consider this will leave you with a stock that doesn't fit your face or a compromised optic.

Don't be afraid to go with a Pac-Nor barrel,I had one on a 300 RUM in a very light contour and it shot very well. Plus, they are more likely to make you a stainless barrel in a light contour than some of the other makers. Broughton & Brux are two that worry about stainless in cold weather
I have had VERY good luck with Pac-Nor barrels.

Lots of good advice here. I would just throw in; for a stock, look at Browns Kevlar pound'r. 16 Oz stock you need to inlet yourself. Very stiff when finished, so I hear. I think they run between 3 and 4 hundred (though don't quote me on that).

I went with the regular Brown. Only 3 oz heavier and helps some with recoil,which is appreciated on a semi lightweight Whelen. The browns are expensive, it it's what I wanted and i.am happy with it. Mine finished at about 21 oz with recoil pad,bedding,and finish. The wildcat can be had around $300 unfinished.

Other than recoil how did you like it? What was the total weight?. Right now mine is around 8lbs. Fully loaded,scope and sling included. Still trying to get down to 7 1/2lbs all in. Recoil is there but not too bad.

I know I'm a little late to the party on this one and OP was doing a build ,but Melvin's rifles are an awsome choice. An absolute joy to carry, mine is a '06 and really doesn't kick that bad at all. Melvin figured it out a long time ago.

That s the one rifle I am still missing!-- A left hand nula 30/06! Can't afford to order a new one,still hoping to luck into a used one some day.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.