Rifle Build 35 whelen light weight

I have a 338 RCM that is light--kind of on your specs...always had a soft sport for a 35 whelen. I had one in a 700 classic that shot lights out...I had a friend that had a 35 Whelen AI that was by far the most accurate rifle I have ever touched at 100 if you did your part could barely tell how may shots went into the target...a true one hole rifle..

Does anyone do action lightening? Is that even a thing?

Trevor

In terms of what can be done, you should see what MG Arms does to remove bulk from Rem 700's and others. They do it as part of a complete ultra-light build, but for an example of what has been done, it's extreme. Also, Kerry O'Day there is a 35 Whelen whizz kid.

My favorite load is a 225 partition on top of 60 grns of varget with a cci 200. Excellent accuracy and velocity (2800) out of my rifle. I have killed elk at 400 yrds with this load and it will exit even on a quartering shot. Last one was a big cow, bullet entered behind the last rib on left side and broke right front shoulder and exited.

My favorite load is a 225 partition on top of 60 grns of varget with a cci 200. Excellent accuracy and velocity (2800) out of my rifle. I have killed elk at 400 yrds with this load and it will exit even on a quartering shot. Last one was a big cow, bullet entered behind the last rib on left side and broke right front shoulder and exited.
Great choice on your Whelen build, I built mine 14 years ago after a tough hunt where I swore I would never carry a long heavy rifle on an elk hunt again. Only difference I had little money to use so, I got a Shaw 22" Stainless Rem contour in a 35 Whelen Ackley Improved, Mcmillan stock, talley 1 piece base and rings and leupold 3x9 ultralight scope. Slung and loaded w/ 4 rounds (225 Barnes XLC) it weighs in @7 1/4. Its easy to carry, shoots under an 1" and hits with authority on elk. If your like me you will love your choice. Good luck!!

Here a .35 Whelen with a 21" Hart 1:11 twist.

It's light, quick & accurate and recoil is no big deal on or off the bench.

Attachments

• 20190410_114120.jpg
    20190410_114120.jpg
    615.2 KB · Views: 352
Any updates to your rifle? Interested in seeing how it turns out. I am a lefty and want a lighter weight whelen.

Nice rifle 2c. I had bought an old pump several years back to turn into a whelen but unfortunately i got rid of it before I ever got around to it.

hey Mustang thanks!! you should have carried out your plan...those pumps are the bomb when you're going in tight and the shot you get is danger close.

that pump and can honestly reach out 300 yards no problem if the need arises.

Yep Still wish I had that one back! It was one of the old ones with the rounded wood forearm. Four custody battles over one kid and I have a lot fewer guns now!

A 1955 Model 70, 22" Benchmark 1-10" twist barrel, waiting on McMillan stock, to be a 35 Whelen for throwing 250Gr. Hammer bullets at Moose next year! Should be about 7lbs. before scope?

Mine is a 1972 Remington 700 left hand. Started out as a 30/06 rebored to a 1-14 35 whelen. Brown stock should be here this weekend. Wanted a faster twist to run the 250 hammers--but that's another story! I will weigh it after I get the new stock finished and on.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts