rifle build, .338 edge, a few questions?

JHansen

Ok guys I have a remington model 700 .300 ultra that the barrel is pretty well gone in and am ready to turn it into an edge. It has a jewell trigger and an H.S. Precision stock. I am going to have the action blueprinted and bedded and a new recoil lug installed and a Wyatt's box mag installed with a 30" tube. So here are my questions.

#1 What brand and contour of barrel would you guys suggest?

#2 I have a break installed right now that has ports all the way around it and I don't like it because of all the debris it throws. What break should I be looking at that just has ports on the sides? I would like to be able to see my own shots impact as close as possible.

#3 Is there anything I am missing that I should be looking at?

Thanks in advance for any info guys.gun)

I'm doing mine after hunting season. Going with ( Just ordered )a Broughton 32 inch tube, heavy palma contour 9.3 twist. Just spoke with Tim on the phone on how his barrel is much better than a Hart tube. And I am going with a muscle break from center shot rifles.

Talked with Jim See yesterday and he suggested his 3 port brake.. I'll probably have him add some holes on top of the break.

Tarey

Last edited by a moderator:
Jhansen,

I'm headed down the same road with my 300 rum. I would reccomend shawns break ,I had one installed on my rifle and it works very well. I will say this I've shot radial breaks also shot one that was on a wetherby 7mm it worked okay except for the gas being throwed in your face who wants that? Shawns break made my rifle kick like a .243 I shoot 210 bergers and I can shoot my 300 rum with one hand off of sand bags from a bench no blast in the face either:). As for the barrel I would go with a broughton mine shoots lights out Tim north is a great guy to do buisness with, what i've noticed with his barrel is you can throw rounds down range and it will never loose zero even when it gets hot and that says alot to me with this round.

Just my experience...

Bigbuck

Gotta vote for Lilja Barrel and Kirby's PainKiller breaks. Both sponsors here too! I have 2 of each and they are great. Good review by Varmint Hunter a while back on the break.
Good luck on the new build.

Jim See built my 300RUM. I have his brake on my gun. I love it. I can't say it enough. I love the brake. It does a great job. I have only let two people shoot my rifle and both of them are experienced shooters. They love the brake. I have a 28" brux bbl on my RUM.

I would have to vote for the lilja barrel and the painkill they both are great. I just got my edge from Kirby and it has the 28" lilja and Kirby's painkiller and I can see my hit's from 300 to 1200 and it is a 12 pound rifle it kicks less then my wife's 270wsm

All barrel makers mentioned build a great barrel.

I can only speak highly of the HART 30 " sendero taper as that is what Shawn put on my rifle. WOW !

As far as a good break, few would dispute the DE break in performance. Turns the edge into a 243 !... no really, it does !

Good choice of cal by the way !

DUH

I'll vote for Nate's (SSG Gunsmithing) V-Brake. My 338 Lapua Improved shoot like a dream. As for barrel. You can't go wrong with Broughton.

All barrel makers mentioned build a great barrel.

I can only speak highly of the HART 30 " sendero taper as that is what Shawn put on my rifle. WOW !

As far as a good break, few would dispute the DE break in performance. Turns the edge into a 243 !... no really, it does !

Good choice of cal by the way !

DUH

++++1 on the DE brake but i just got a APS pain killer brake on my other 338 edge and it's top of the line.

I think the best thing you could do is to ship it to Kirby or Shawn and set back and wait to be happy as you have ever been!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
My edge still weighting parts:rolleyes: 30" 10 twist McGowen. #7, DE 1" brake, Savage 110. I have several McGowen barrels, I like them. They are on par with all the others. I do have a PacNor, and 2 Harts also. Call them and see what you think. McGowen Precision Barrels Home

Regards Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts