Rifle blueing fix

RCMSTER

So, I bought a 1972 Ruger 77 roundtop on gunbroker this last week. It's in 95% condition, but it's the 5% that I need advice on. Right at the muzzle and on the front sight there is some rust that needs to be taken care of. I'm not going to take off the front sight, as that is part of the unusualness of the rifle, and partly why I bought it. I'm not sure steel wool will take off the rust, as it's kinda rough, but in total area, smaller than a dime. My thought is some fine Emery cloth to completely get rid of the rust, but then what? Which blueing product will best cover up the spot, and come close to matching the original blueing?

I've never ever, ever, had cold blue match. Let it get worn some more and hot blue the barreled action.
No, not gonna do that. Sorry. The rest of the rifle is in wonderful condition. It's just that one spot on the side of the muzzle up to the front sight.

I once had a Winchester 88 hot blued, and while it looked as good as new, later on when I decided to sell it, a guy really read me the rite act for daring to ruin the rifle by reblueing.

I realize it's not gonna match exactly, but the spot is rather unsightly, and even a not so perfect match will look much better.

For small spots I use Brownell's Oxpho-Blue.Get rust off and degrease well.Even a tiny speck of oil will ruin the cold blue.
Then using a small torch heat up the spot and apply Oxpho-Blue and let it sit until it dries.Do that over and over until it looks close and your done.Have done that many times
Thank you. I didnt think about heating before applying cold blue.

OP, don't know how much rust you have and where exactly it is but (don't laugh now) I was once told that if rust is not to bad use a copper penny and rub gently. I tried it and it worked. Guess it depends on actual rust problem ?

The pic below shows the rust in question. Tommytrees, I'll try the penny thing and see if it works. If not, then I'm gonna do the steel wool and oil, followed by the oxpho-blue cream. Thank you

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211120-234047_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20211120-234047_Chrome.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 235
So, I bought a 1972 Ruger 77 roundtop on gunbroker this last week. It's in 95% condition, but it's the 5% that I need advice on. Right at the muzzle and on the front sight there is some rust that needs to be taken care of. I'm not going to take off the front sight, as that is part of the unusualness of the rifle, and partly why I bought it. I'm not sure steel wool will take off the rust, as it's kinda rough, but in total area, smaller than a dime. My thought is some fine Emery cloth to completely get rid of the rust, but then what? Which blueing product will best cover up the spot, and come close to matching the original blueing?
Take the rifle out of the stock and boil the rifle in distilled water to convert any rust