Rifle Basix Trigger= help needed

First off, I am using a different model than you are as you are going below 1 lb. The trigger we use and have used for over 5 yrs is still working flawlessly is a 1 1/2 to 3 lb on a 700 REM. This trigger breaks crisp, clean and is set at just over 1 1/2 lb. It breaks at the same poundage every time.

Why not continue to work with RB? Common sense tells me that they can make a good trigger because several of us have them. I am sure they would like to resolve this with you. I am not doubting you have a problem. But who would be better to help you with a RB trigger than the guy that made it?

Why not give them another call and tell them exactly what it is still doing. Then you will find out if your are correct and it is the dsign or if there is something else that could be affecting its performance.

Jeff

First off, I am using a different model than you are as you are going below 1 lb. The trigger we use and have used for over 5 yrs is still working flawlessly is a 1 1/2 to 3 lb on a 700 REM. This trigger breaks crisp, clean and is set at just over 1 1/2 lb. It breaks at the same poundage every time.

Why not continue to work with RB? Common sense tells me that they can make a good trigger because several of us have them. I am sure they would like to resolve this with you. I am not doubting you have a problem. But who would be better to help you with a RB trigger than the guy that made it?

Why not give them another call and tell them exactly what it is still doing. Then you will find out if your are correct and it is the dsign or if there is something else that could be affecting its performance.

Jeff

I am planning to give them a call when I get off work today. Just figured I'd talk to the guys who know more than I do in the meantime. :D

Jeff

I don't think the problem is with the trigger, but in the action or the setup in itself. I have not seen my DVD in a very long time, but it seems to me that there is a certain order all adjustments have to me made with it. Also it seems that you cannot skip any of them when your getting the weight down towards the minimum. I've had mine down to 10 or twelve ounces without a problem, but it seems like we had to go back and start from the begining each time.
gary

I don't think the problem is with the trigger, but in the action or the setup in itself. I have not seen my DVD in a very long time, but it seems to me that there is a certain order all adjustments have to me made with it. Also it seems that you cannot skip any of them when your getting the weight down towards the minimum. I've had mine down to 10 or twelve ounces without a problem, but it seems like we had to go back and start from the begining each time.
gary

I've watched the dvd a few times now to make sure I was doing everything right, and I am. I can get it to 10 ounces and get it to work, but you have to be very careful with it when closing the bolt... It's a pretty simple mechanism, and I didn't get on here at the first sign of trouble with the trigger. I had worked with it for a long time trying to get it right, I don't just quit on things because they aren't going my way. I didn't get to call them last night, but I will for sure tonight. There are 5 screws that you can adjust the trigger with. Not 25. If I find out I'm doing something wrong, I'll let you know. I can take being wrong, but it will have to play out, because I don't think I am.

The mechanism seems to fit the action very snugly, like described it should in the dvd. What kind of issue could there be with the action that would keep the trigger from operating right? Just out of square?

Guess I could put a micrometer on it and measure the tolerances...?

I've watched the dvd a few times now to make sure I was doing everything right, and I am. I can get it to 10 ounces and get it to work, but you have to be very careful with it when closing the bolt... It's a pretty simple mechanism, and I didn't get on here at the first sign of trouble with the trigger. I had worked with it for a long time trying to get it right, I don't just quit on things because they aren't going my way. I didn't get to call them last night, but I will for sure tonight. There are 5 screws that you can adjust the trigger with. Not 25. If I find out I'm doing something wrong, I'll let you know. I can take being wrong, but it will have to play out, because I don't think I am.

The mechanism seems to fit the action very snugly, like described it should in the dvd. What kind of issue could there be with the action that would keep the trigger from operating right? Just out of square?

Guess I could put a micrometer on it and measure the tolerances...?

well it looks like you are following the instructions. I never did try to get mine down that low, and at the low end of the scale I didn't feel comfortable with it. To be honest with you, if I were wanting an eight to ten ounce trigger, I'd be be looking at the EVO from Sharp Shooter. It's a Bob Greanleaf design, and he was an engineer with Savage for eons. The price is up there with a Jewell, but you get a timed and trued action with it. Just timing and trueing the action makes a world of difference in some rifles. Ten ounces is right on the bottom limit (if not past it with the RB trigger, no matter what they say.
gary

I have the SAV-1 on a savage 111 right now. I can get it to break consistently at 1.5 pounds. At 1 lb the trigger is not safe (sear will engage but not hold to a bolt slam or drop). While it is a major step up from factory, it is not a Jewel. For my applications mainly just long range plinking and hunting with the rifle occasionally the trigger functions flawlessly. If you want to go lighter (safely) try the SAV-2 trigger that is supposed to adjust down to 4 oz. just my $.02

Savage 111, Stockade prairie dog special, Criterion small shank varmint contour barrel, 6.5-284 norma, Rifle Basix SAV-1, Tac. Bolt knob, Leupold VX-2 4-12

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.