rifle attachment?

jrsdar

Dumb question I quess,
I have a backpack with a frame, is there any type of attachment for holding your rifle while backpacking? or do I need to start looking for a new pack
Thanks

Pyrodux,Didn't you get a gun bearer with your timberline ?It takes a little while to get used to it but its nice to have easy access to your rifle during the hike in.
If you dont have one I think your young Sherpa will be able to carry for you in the next couple of years:)
Tim

Pyrodux,Didn't you get a gun bearer with your timberline ?It takes a little while to get used to it but its nice to have easy access to your rifle during the hike in.
If you dont have one I think your young Sherpa will be able to carry for you in the next couple of years:)
Tim

I didnt get the gun bearer, I have been researching my options for awhile and settled on the gun corral. I was really set on the gunbearer thinking I would be able to run the barrel up a clamp on the loadlifter strap but the gun corral seems to actually strap the gun more securily to the pack. The guy I have been talking to doesnt even use a sling with his and just straps the gun behind him. I haven't recieved it but I hope it works well. And hopefully little guy will be packing some stuff around soon, at 3 years old Ill be happy if he walks at least half the time ;)

I use the gunslinger as a side carry. I fasten the holder onto the hip belt of my pack and the barrel just as it shows in the video. Works great,leaves my hands free and have not had any problems in two seasons of use.:D:D

Dont buy a new pack. Cabelas has a device they sell for outside frame backpacks. I think it sells for 11.00. It fits their freighter pack frame and others. I like mine. Good luck.

Another vote for the Kifaru Gunbearer. Have used it for 10 years and put many, many miles on it. I modified it a bit (beefed it up at upper attachment point) to better handle a 12 lb. 338AX with 28" barrel, but I still think it's the best design out there for comfortably carrying a rifle while backpacking AND you have faster access to it than if the rifle was slung over your shoulder. It can be ordered separately and fit to many packs, but I'd reccommend ordering it with a Kifaru pack attached to it...:D

Tim in Washington, have any of you guys tried the new Timberline? Looks like a great hunting pack. I've got a Gen 1 frame so when the duplex Timberline bags just came out, I ordered the Duplex Timberline 2 that attaches right to my current frame. Am looking forward to to trying this out hiking this summer and hunting this fall.

Another vote for the Kifaru Gunbearer. Have used it for 10 years and put many, many miles on it. I modified it a bit (beefed it up at upper attachment point) to better handle a 12 lb. 338AX with 28" barrel, but I still think it's the best design out there for comfortably carrying a rifle while backpacking AND you have faster access to it than if the rifle was slung over your shoulder. It can be ordered separately and fit to many packs, but I'd reccommend ordering it with a Kifaru pack attached to it...:D

Tim in Washington, have any of you guys tried the new Timberline? Looks like a great hunting pack. I've got a Gen 1 frame so when the duplex Timberline bags just came out, I ordered the Duplex Timberline 2 that attaches right to my current frame. Am looking forward to to trying this out hiking this summer and hunting this fall.

I have the regular Timberline 2 and really like it so far. I havent been backpacking with it but Im training with 50 lbs in it and its been really nice. I've had as much as 70 lbs in it and it felt good still.

I've got a K U 5200 and I like it allot better than the Gen 1 Longhunter that I used to have.The weight savings is awesome .I had a look at Pyro's timberline recently and it looks like a great pack as well.
Tim

Good news, you guys. Thanks. I already had the frame, so it was hard to justify a complete new pack, so just went with the DT2. But the T2 standalone would be quite a pack. I really like the idea of the spotting scope and tripod exterior pockets. Seems like a great idea. What top flap did you buy? At this point, I'm just staying with the Longhunter top flap, but curious if you guys like Hunting XTL?

I went with the standard lid, the other lids are just too expensive. I can just get a mid long pocket or a claymore pocket and attach it to that lid but at this point I dont think I need any extra space. I did get the horizontal lashing kit and grab-it in case I have to put stuff on the outside if I get lucky enough to fill the main compartment with meat.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts