Rifle/ Ammo Combo

I consider 'long range' (hunting or competition) to mean a distance long enough that you can't just point and shoot (perhaps guessing drop and windage a la Kentucky windage). I start worrying about wind at 300-500 yards, depending on its severity. I can hold over a big-game animal OK out to 500 yards or so--if I know the distance. (I have the drop chart memorized to 500 yards.) Beyond 500 it's reading the wind and a Kestrel or drop chart all the way. I'm curious how others define "long-range hunting." (Is that a can of worms?!)

Last edited:
(I consider 'long range' (hunting or competition) to mean a distance long enough that you can't just point and shoot (perhaps guessing drop and windage a la Kentucky windage). I start worrying about wind at 300-500 yards, depending on its severity. I can hold over a big-game animal OK out to 500 yards or so--if I know the distance. (I have the drop chart memorized to 500 yards.) Beyond 500 it's reading the wind and a Kestrel or drop chart all the way. I'm curious how others define "long-range hunting." (Is that a can of worms?!)
More worms then a national trout derby!

What are you considering Long Range? What distances are you considering when hunting? I personally shoot at 400 a lot and try to keep my hunting distances under that. With that said I use a Browning Xbolt 6.5 Creed with 143 ELDX shooting at 2710 FPS and it worked great for all my applications.
I got a 300RUM and shooting a 220gr ELD-X bullet at 2910 out to 800yrds if I would go to a lighter bullet i could shoot faster. It's what ever works for you.