Riddle me this? Stock and barrel contour confusion!

CrowsFoot

Had this on my mind a couple days now and wanted to see what you guys think. Always had a thing for larger barrels on more of a sporter style stock, the remington bdl varmint special is a good example of what im talking about style wise. NOW heres where I have run into some trouble. Maybe not everyones flavor but i really like the style of the proof terminus rifle.....and without dropping 6 grand on one I would like to do a similiar build on a 700 long action, kind of a poor mans terminus build. From what I have seen proof says the monte carlo stock will accept up to a 4 or 5 barrel contour but most of those rifles I see are running the sendero contour which is a BIG tube. Am i missing something here? About the closest stock style wise i have seen is the mcmillan BDL modeled after a remmy 375 stock which mirrors the 4 or 5 contour claim. I have seen smiths open up channels to take alot more than what is reccomended...several gamescouts in fact that are tackdrivers.. What are my chances of putting a sendero contour on that mcmillan bdl? Sorry about the long winded post.

You can put a Sendero contour in a BDL stock but it will look big. The forend flats will be real thin.

A McMillan HTG is a similar style and it has a large enough forend.

Brown Precision makes a duplicate of the stock that was used on the Remington Varmint Special.

Barrel makers use different contour numbers to identify the same contours. Some call a # 5 close to a Sendero contour. Others call a 5.5 close. even more have totally different numbers that are no where near their competitors numbering system. So you must decide the contour dimensions you want and look at the barrel makers charts for their number that matches you wants.

If you like the sporter style stocks. these can be bough for the heavier barrel contours without thinning the top of the stock to much by ordering/buying a varmint style stock. Normally they are the same from the action back, just the forearm is wider to except the larger contour.

I use a lot of varmint stocks for rifles that have heavy contours. I like heavy contours, so a #5, Sendero, or varmint contour and up is normal for me. I also like the Monty Carlo cheek piece because the heavy contour and 50 mm+ scope bells require high mounts to clear and the Monty Carlo helps position my head inline with the center of the scope.

I also prefer the Laminate stocks or solid wood because the barrel channel can be opened up to perfectly fit the barrel contour. (Many composite stocks can not be altered very much without cutting into the core of the stock and weakening it, so you should find one that Is made for that Contour.

Find the barrel you want and then find the stock that can be altered or fits the barrel contour That you like.

J E CUSTOM

You can put a Sendero contour in a BDL stock but it will look big. The forend flats will be real thin.

A McMillan HTG is a similar style and it has a large enough forend.

Brown Precision makes a duplicate of the stock that was used on the Remington Varmint Special.
Barrel makers use different contour numbers to identify the same contours. Some call a # 5 close to a Sendero contour. Others call a 5.5 close. even more have totally different numbers that are no where near their competitors numbering system. So you must decide the contour dimensions you want and look at the barrel makers charts for their number that matches you wants.

If you like the sporter style stocks. these can be bough for the heavier barrel contours without thinning the top of the stock to much by ordering/buying a varmint style stock. Normally they are the same from the action back, just the forearm is wider to except the larger contour.

I use a lot of varmint stocks for rifles that have heavy contours. I like heavy contours, so a #5, Sendero, or varmint contour and up is normal for me. I also like the Monty Carlo cheek piece because the heavy contour and 50 mm+ scope bells require high mounts to clear and the Monty Carlo helps position my head inline with the center of the scope.

I also prefer the Laminate stocks or solid wood because the barrel channel can be opened up to perfectly fit the barrel contour. (Many composite stocks can not be altered very much without cutting into the core of the stock and weakening it, so you should find one that Is made for that Contour.

Find the barrel you want and then find the stock that can be altered or fits the barrel contour That you like.

J E CUSTOM

J E CUSTOM
I appreciate the input guys. It just seemed strange to me that proof was putting a barrel comparable to a m24 on a stock they claim will handle a no. 4 or 5 and like you said I sure see alot of differences in what guys are calling a no.5 but that seemed like a big leap

McMillan Game Warden is similar shape of the Game Scout, but wider forend by just a touch.

A Proof "Sendero Light" is actually closer to a Rem Sendero than the Proof "Sendero" contour.

This is an adjustable Game Warden w. Rock Creek "Heavy Varmint" contour. Just .040" bigger than Rem Sendero @ 26".

The Mcmillan BDL might fit a sendero but the forend is pretty thin. Look at the game hunter also if you like a vertical grip. Very nice stock.
Are you going to be using a proof barrel or another carbon company? Many companies have contours smaller than the sendero now. Also I would definitely get the sendero light if going proof.

278AB901-A5AD-4504-A377-D8BE2D52B5FC.png

morning, read about the H&S combat adjustable stock. I use these
stocks and other H&S models on my weatherby and rem 721 actions.
justme gbot tum

The Mcmillan BDL might fit a sendero but the forend is pretty thin. Look at the game hunter also if you like a vertical grip. Very nice stock.
Are you going to be using a proof barrel or another carbon company? Many companies have contours smaller than the sendero now. Also I would definitely get the sendero light if going proof.
A phone call to Mcmillan verified that a sendero light contour would be no problem at all on the bdl stock.....but like you said the sendero was possible but getting very thin towards the end of that stock

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.