Revolver vs auto

josip89

I want to know Your opinion and reason.

Each have their + and -.
My problems with revolver is speed and precision.
I am more fast and precise with auto and due to recoil faster follow up shots,revolver have heavy and long trigger.
But revolver is better in ultra short range and no problems with magazines and can have less problems with ammo.
On the other hand I dont which is better if they are dirty or mudy or in sand or something,because moder auto are very good.

On auto You can put light or laser or both ,but on revolver much harder.

I have GP100 4.2" 357 mag with night sights and custom handle.
But lately I am thinking about XDM in 10mm.

What's the purpose of the weapon? If it's for hunting, I would stick with revolver all day long. After 2, 5, 10 days in the woods without looking at it, it will still go bang when you pull the trigger. Semi, maybe and maybe not. If your down town on the weekend with your significant other then a semi has the capacity advantage.

Accuracy and speed comes with practice, there's more than one man still alive that can shoot faster with a revolver than a with a semi auto because the semi's take longer to cycle than a double action revolver.

Glock 20 or Delta Elite would be what I'd look at if I wanted a 10mm. I despise the 10mm cult but if your choices are .357 and 10mm I believe the 10mm does have better terminal ballistics. Would not get a XDM because Springfield has betrayed gun owners and while they've paid lip service to changing their ways their actions don't seem to be legitimate in my mind.

I want to know Your opinion and reason.

Each have their + and -.
My problems with revolver is speed and precision.
I am more fast and precise with auto and due to recoil faster follow up shots,revolver have heavy and long trigger.
But revolver is better in ultra short range and no problems with magazines and can have less problems with ammo.
On the other hand I dont which is better if they are dirty or mudy or in sand or something,because moder auto are very good.

On auto You can put light or laser or both ,but on revolver much harder.

I have GP100 4.2" 357 mag with night sights and custom handle.
But lately I am thinking about XDM in 10mm.
That would be fine but I prefer Glock I am a Glock Guy people love them or hate them

I stared thread on revolver vs auto in general (not direct GP100 vs Xdm 10mm)
I need gun for protection.
I am from Croatia and here is made XDM and I can get them cheaper (vs glock or other).

I see on the other thread lot mention of 460S&W and other big boomers vs 10mm ,because I start this thread.
So I would like if someone is willing to share they experience of attacked by animal.

Hey josip89
Shy of a grizzly bear (brown bear), the 10mm Auto will take care of any of your animal attack issues with ease. For most smaller animals (coyotes, wolves, wild dogs, panthers, etc.), the normal hollowpoint ("defensive") ammunition will work fine, such as the 155 grain Hornady XTP, or similar round.

If you have chances of black bear encounters, you would be better served shooting hard-cast flat nosed 200 grain bullets through the gun as you want penetration AND a big, flat frontal surface to cause shock and damage to tissue and bones along the way. (The full-metal jacketed bullets aren't nearly as good in creating tissue damage, so they should be avoided.) In this case a Buffalo Bore 200 grain lead hard-cast flat nose round would be better. If you have to chose only one, go with the 200 grain hard-cast flat nose round.
1587838305787.png
1587838482724.png

I started thread on revolver vs auto in general (not direct GP100 vs Xdm 10mm). I need gun for protection.
I am from Croatia and here is made XDM and I can get them cheaper (vs glock or other). I see on the other thread lot mention of 460S&W and other big boomers vs 10mm ,because I start this thread. So I would like if someone is willing to share they experience of attacked by animal.
First off, forgive my first post as (apparently) you didn't get $1200 from Uncle Sam since you live in Croatia. But...you should still KEEP your GP-100 in .357 Magnum (awesome gun and even better cartridge.) It will do anything you need it to do, as long as it only takes 6 rounds to get it done and, if you HIT what you intended, six rounds will be plenty.

Since you live in Croatia, where they make the XDm pistols, getting a 10mm Auto makes perfect sense to 'supplement' your GP-100. The 10mm makes more power AND the XDm holds a lot more rounds. Additionally, the XDm pistols are very reliable, so it is a great choice for protection. If it were me, and I could only have ONE of them, I'd get the XDm in 10mm. But I do love revolvers and have many in .357 mag and would not want to give any of them up. If that's all you had (the GP-100), it would work. You'd be fine.

As for people talking about needing .460 S&W Magnums and similar VERY powerful handgun cartridges for 'self-defense', that usually only comes up when people are talking about stopping a LARGE bear (Grizzly, Brown, or Polar) from an attack. For the vast majority of us, that's never going to be an issue to worry about. Black bears are much smaller and easier to kill with 'mere' cartridges such as .357 Magnum and 10mm Auto.

I don't know if this 'discussion' is helping you at all, but either gun or cartridge you are talking about is going to work fine for your needs (defense against animals and potentially 'bad' people.) As others have said, the BIGGER thing to consider is being able to hit your target consistently, so whatever you use, you'll want to practice with it until you feel confident in your ability to hit consistently and rapidly, should the need arise.

IT IS A GUN
it is not a weapon until used as such, as in attack a person.
this is the civilian world, not the mil.
the answer to your questions is
PRACTICE, PRACTICE PRACTICE.
one of the fast handgun shooters in the world shoots a revolver. and there are revolver only matches if you are so inclined

What's the purpose of the weapon?

IT IS A GUN
it is not a weapon until used as such, as in attack a person.
this is the civilian world, not the mil.
the answer to your questions is
PRACTICE, PRACTICE PRACTICE.
one of the fast handgun shooters in the world shoots a revolver. and there are revolver only matches if you are so inclined

So he's getting this just to shoot targets? Thought he was using it on animals. My bad.

I need to say ,we here in Croatia have wolf,bobcat,wild boar(over 500 pounds),brown bear (max what I know is over 900 pounds).

Is your plan to hunt with the pistol or it's a back up? I wouldn't be chasing things around that weigh more than 300 lbs with a .357/10mm. And argue as the cult will, 10mm has no business going against a big brown bear.

Is Croatia like Ukraine in their view of bears? Highly protected there, the bear sanctuary was a huge deal to even visit. Don't think you could hunt them there.

Not for hunting, protection and back up.
I dont know how is it in Ukraina,but here You have hunting calendar when You can hunting and what.
Bears in Croatia are hunting species.

I need to say ,we here in Croatia have wolf,bobcat,wild boar(over 500 pounds),brown bear (max what I know is over 900 pounds).

It might be helpful if you stated what kind of protection is this handgun is going to be used for. I read "for protection" however protection from what. You also mentioned the 460 S&W, that's a really big, heavy hammer to carry, and.......a real bear to shoot. If you are looking for fast, follow-up shots, I don't think the 460S&W is a good choice. I have a Glock 20, 10mm that I use as a side arm for black bear hunting, with either 200 grain Buffalo Bore or Lehigh hard-cast bullets for penetration and a large meplat for tissue damage. For me the 10mm is a good round for anything up to grizzly bear, then I would prefer something in the 44+ caliber. I believe the formula is "4-3-1", the caliber has to start with at least a #4 (as in 44 caliber) the bullet weight as to be at least "300 grains", and.....the muzzle velocity starting out at least "1000fps" for big bear protection. And......last but not least, practice, practice, practice whether revolver or pistol.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.