Reviving my 270 Winchester.

When the 6.8 first came out you could buy bulk 500, 1000 boxes of the 110 and 120 HPBT and it was my go to round for PD's Like 10 cents each. Vastly superior BC than 100 HPView attachment 366625

My 29 inch 8 pound barrel Prarrie Dog and coyote getter. The stock was a month of work :) 20 coats tung oil.
Nice looking rig! Yeah I remember that when the 6.8 came out. I was running my 22-250 at that time so it worked well out to 400-500 yards. Which at the time was all I needed.

Well instead of rebarreling my JC Higgins 270 win with chattered chamber I've decided to give it another shot. I had the chamber cleaned up though it still shows some chatter marks on the brass. I have some 135gr SMK's left and I cleared a tip. Boy they must have a deep cavity so I expect some terminal damage. I tried them before with IMR 4350 and I think IMR 4831, but I don't remember spectacular groups. It has my first bedding job on the stock so I might redue it for shites and gaggles. I've done searches for 135 SMK's accuracy loads, anyone have some recent data. If it works out I think I'll set this up for some 700 yard coyotes.

I've used the 135 SMK a fair bit on small big game (deer,antelope) and yotes and such. Farthest I shot game with the bullet is just a bit over 500 and it put the muley down quickly with a behind the front shot.

For powders I'd suggest the normal's for a bullet of this weight in a .270. Not sure which your gun will like but I'd give whatever of the following you can get your paws on. H4831, one of the 4350's, R22, R17, 7828. I'd think you can get one of these to perk.

For what it's worth, I've used the 135 SMK, the 140 SGK and the 140 SHP in several 270's over the years. In all 3 the SHP was the most accurate, followed by the SGK then the SMK. But in reality I had good accuracy with all of the above! All 3 are very yote capable!

I've used the 135 SMK a fair bit on small big game (deer,antelope) and yotes and such. Farthest I shot game with the bullet is just a bit over 500 and it put the muley down quickly with a behind the front shot.

For powders I'd suggest the normal's for a bullet of this weight in a .270. Not sure which your gun will like but I'd give whatever of the following you can get your paws on. H4831, one of the 4350's, R22, R17, 7828. I'd think you can get one of these to perk.

For what it's worth, I've used the 135 SMK, the 140 SGK and the 140 SHP in several 270's over the years. In all 3 the SHP was the most accurate, followed by the SGK then the SMK. But in reality I had good accuracy with all of the above! All 3 are very yote capable!
Thanks I'll look into those other Sierra's I probably need to start from scratch on my stock. It's not the stiffest stock and maybe the bedding job I did isn't great either. I'll try tuning the rear action screw first. I still have some Winchester PP's too so I'll see if I can improve the groups. So far the SMK was the best group at around 1 moa. Maybe I'm asking too much from the rifle or there's a loose nut behind the trigger lol.

Some photos of that 'ol Higgins would be great . . .
Here's a couple of pictures. sorry they aren't the best. Just an old rifle. The action is pretty slick though.
1652906725950.png

1652906322126.png

I found some old pictures from 2016 after I bedded the stock. Not great groups but 0.9125 with 135 SMK and .9825 with 130 PP. That was over a half inch improvement from a poor bedding job.

1652907242263.png

1652907265453.png

Maybe seating out will help with the group size. Both groups where shot with Winchester brass, IMR4350 53.3 grs, and WLR primers.

Last edited:
I love those old Mauser actions, but it deserves a wood stock, plastic just doesn't do it justice. Just an opinion, doesn't mean squat.
Wood is pretty but the stock wood was plain and poor design. I do like pretty rifles but it bothers me to hunt with pretty rifles. So my working guns are built for function not looks. Otherwise they'd stay in the safe lol.

chattering marks are most likely and can be be lack of (enough)* lube when sizing. Hard to believe the chamber had imperfections like that... I never seen any chambers like that ever with any factory rifle. IMR 4064 replaced it's original powder, DuPont's 15 1/2, way back when, a write up from Speers first manual. Top velocity is H4831 at one time but nothing really went beyond it now.
* change

Last edited:
chattering marks are most likely lack of lube when sizing. IMR 4064 replaced it's original powder, DuPont's 15 1/2, way back when, a write up from Speers first manual. Top velocity is H4831 at one time but nothing really went beyond it now.
The chatter marks were not from excessive lube. I had the barrel set back and the chatter marks were still there. But they were not as deep and were farther down the case, thus confirming imperfections in the chamber.

The chatter marks were not from excessive lube. I had the barrel set back and the chatter marks were still there. But they were not as deep and were farther down the case, thus confirming imperfections in the chamber.
never said excess lube, I meant lack of enough lube. Did you actually see the machine marks in the chamber or just on the brass?

never said excess lube, I meant lack of enough lube. Did you actually see the machine marks in the chamber or just on the brass?
Yes it was confirmed with a bore scope. But I knew it was chattered prior to confirming on a borescope.